Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Does anyone out there belong to any "Emergency Roadside Assistance" Clubs....like Coach-net, AAA +, Good Sam etc...??? We received a free 1 year membership with purchase of our ST25RB....never did use it yet, but just received renewal notice going into year 2. Cost of about $120US/year. Read few reviews about Coachnet that didn't paint a pretty picture of some service calls from members. Just wondering what options are available out there for Emergency road service while away from home in case say slide won't come back in, or something else"major" happens. Any applauds/complaints would greatly be appreciative to not only myself, but other Crossroad members as well. I really like the idea of going away on vacation & having a telephone number I can call if anything happens while on the road that I can't take care of myself.

Merry Christmas to All !!

Edited by: Tonemeister
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Tony,
I have a 2012 CR 28RKX and the first year of my warranty will end in April. I had the free one year of Coachnet also but I recently signed up for a 3 year susbscription to Good Sam ER assistance. The biggest reason for doing so was not so much what others have said or not said, but because of what I have read about their CEO, Marcus Lemonis I think his name is. It appears that the company policy has gone back to "the customer is right." At lease from what I can read, and I have read some complaints from people where they have written to him and he has reacted almost immediately. So, not knowing what anyone else offers it appears as though Good Sam is growing and the only way to grow and keep customers is to service what you sell. So, haviing said that, I have not had to use it yet and hope I never do. But, if I ever do and it is or is not what it is made out to be, you will hear from me, as will Mr. Lemonis.

I hope this helps a little.

Merry Christmas,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I think any one of the big two can be back or good depending on who handles the call or who their vender is
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Hi Jim.....does that Good Sam Road service cover help with slides? I think I could handle any other problem that comes my way except for the slide issue. Our old trailer before this Crossroads one never had a slide & we had it for 14 years...and no problems whatsoever. This is our first slide trailer, and I guess after reading all the slide issues in this forum, I'm a bit paranoid about the big "what if".
Equal-i-zer hitch
Old 12-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I see Tonemeister is also from Ontario.We are members of ExplorerRV Club which gives us a magazine, six yearly and discounts on parts and camping at participating campgrounds and companies.We also have road side insurance thru them.It covers two vehicles plus one trailer in Canada,US or Mexico.The cost is $125.00 yearly.We used it once last year at Parry Sound to have a tire changed and the service was excellent .The Company even phoned back after the Job was finished to make sure we were fixed up and everything was ok,can't ask for more than that.

2011 250 super duty

2012 Cruiser 305

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...h_89f92fae.jpg
Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

We have used Allstate plus roadside 3 times, it was well worth the cost, no hassle with the claims (stopped using that truck) Have Good Sam now, havent used it but would not be without it. Check with your local towing company for which one's they have the best dealings with and what a tow of your TV and trailer would cost, can get very expensive

Forks Wa.

1997 Chev 3500

2007 Cruiser 30SK

2 old well traveled cats

1982 Chev Elcamino

1975 Harley Davidson XLH
Lstreutker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I believe that the RV Explorer Club insurance is thru Wayfarer Insurance brokers. I called them to inquire whether they covered slides & they said no. They are basically like the CAA autoclub.....tire changes, lock services, & gas delivery. Girl I spoke to actually told me not to use them, because that part of insurance wasn't very popular. Again, I carry a spare on both truck & trailer....I can replace flat tire myself. On my new 2011 truck I have a 5 year bumper to bumper including 24 hour roadside assistance. I really only want someone that can repair slide if needed while on the road, so that option (if anyone out there does cover slides) would be the most importantto me.

Thanks guys forall yourinput....it really does help!
Equal-i-zer hitch
Old 12-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We have Good Sam ERS. Used it once. They towed our truck and 5th wheel about 50 miles to a campground. Problem was with the truck. It was a Saturday. They towed the truck to a dealer. Drove us to town for groceries. Gave us a phone number in case we needed something. Came back Monday morning and drove me to the dealer. We got the truck fixed same day. Excellent service.
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Roadside assistance will not cover a slide problem. They are not really equipped to handle a slide out that is stuck open. If they put the trailer on a flatbed, it would be too wide for legal towing without a wide load permit. Most rvers that have had this problem can get the slide in using the manual crank or enough physical help to push the slide back in. Otherwise, you would need to call a mobile RV tech.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:01 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Albert,
Wow, I am pleasantly surprised, although I should not be...when you look at insurance and what it is for, many of us use it, many of us never had, and that's how they figure out the balance and cost in between. I would say those that handled your problem went above and beyond, but I am pleased to see they have. I have AAA also and 2 years ago had problems with my Escalade during a trip to the west coast (Denver, Boise, Portland, Black Hills) and had to call them 3 times, each and every time I was well taken care of. But, as I said, I have paid for it for almost 30 years, so the few times I have used it probably weren't worth the cost, but we all think about the big "what if" and that's why we have it.

Merry Christmas,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Use the good Sam - have used it for flat tire issues and motorcycle accident (they paid for two tows). Don't want to leave home without it.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Have had Good Sam ERS for several years. Have used it once for a tire change and the service was great.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Good Sam Emergency Service here, the pop a lock service alone is worth it. Locked keys in truck, along with wifes purse/keys, with engine and A/C running, and our fuzzy butted daughter inside, in my own yard, not once but TWICE in one year!! Good Sam ERS had a good laugh with me and sent out tha cavalry both times for a rescue!

Seems our fuzzy butted daughter would jump up on the door and hit the lock button. Will be putting a truck key in the cargo compartment of the 5ver soon!
2000 Ram 2500
https://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps54589c14.jpg
bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

We have good Sam emergency roadside assistance also. Knock on wood haven't needed it yet. Years ago when I was taking my old horse from Nj to MD for a horse show. We were almost into DE when the durango began overheating really badly. We got safely pulled off into a McDonald's parking lot and called AAA. They.said they could tow the truck but because at the time I didn't have an extra policy for the horse trailer it would be considered a commercial tow and would have cost me a lot of money. Instead I had to have a friend come get my horse and trailer and then get my durango towed to the nearest dealership. AAA didn't care that I had a live animal in the trailer and that it was summertime and very hot out. They had said a commercial tow would probably be about a 4 hr wait. I got my friend there in an hour and a half, then got the tv towed. I don't know if AAA's rv policy is good or not but that was enough to sour me on them.

Also I have heard that with any of the rv roadside assistance programs you need to check coverage area for the areas you plan to camp as many have areas they don't provide assistance or it may be a longer than usual wait as they don't have many service providers for that area.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

been thinking about joining some kind of assistance program if we were to break down on the road. i carry insurance on our TT and called our insurance agent . doesn't cover something that needs fixing , but i have $750.00 of roadside assistance on m policy . i think that amount of money would get our TT to a dealer for repairs ...

Merry Christmas everyone !!!!!

2013 Ram 2500 HD Hemi
Pullrite super glide
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

To all have a super holidays, hope to see you all on the road next year. Remember no ALCOdrink for driving. love you all
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote