Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I'm getting a message from the Good Sam Club about some software called the "RV Roadtrip Navigator." Does anyone have experience with this software. Is it worth having? Is it essentially "Streets and Trips" with additional information?

Thankis,

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have Microsoft "Streets and Trips" software. It's a total waste of money. It's routing algorithm is crazy. In my case I wanted to check the miles from Point A to B. I entered both and it routed me 30 miles out of the way through a town nowhere close to either, think of a triangle, with the correct route being the hypotenuse. This was for a correct route trip of about 60 miles. And I couldn't get it to change it's mind. It does not allow for routing tall vehicles, as in 5ers. Roadtrip Navigator may add this feature but if it's based on Streets and Trips I wouldn't touch it.

YMMV
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

As far as "Streets and Trips" goes, it will take you VERY literally. I once told it to avoid toll roads and then planned a trip from Grand Rapids, Michigan to Little Current, Ontario. It routed me east to Port Huron and then around the eastern shore of Lake Huron which was WAY not logical at all. I kept shortening the parameters until I was only asking it to route me from Mackinaw City, Michigan to St. Ignace, Michigan (in other words "across the bridge"). It sent me south around the lakes, through Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula to St. Ignace. That was because the Mackinac Bridge IS a toll road!!! You have to be very careful about the parameters you tell it to avoid and whether you want the fastest route, shortest route etc.

But my original question was about "Roadtrip Navigator." Is it worth the investment. Anyone out there familiar with this software?

Thanks,

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have used the Campground Navigator software for the past two years buying the 2010 and 2011 releases. It is not the fastest or easiest to use but it is definitely good for RVers. Essentially it contains all the information found in the telephone sized Trailer Life RV campground directory plus it is a mapping program. I like the idea that it will route you based on your own parameters such as departure and end of day times then recommend a nearby campground. It is slow to respond at times but overall I find it very useful for RV trip planning.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

The new truck has Nav in it, I will run it with the GPS unit I bought last spring, Darn just think I can not cut Janet out so I will have three ladies voices telling me what I have done wrong

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Don't know about the Campground Nav from Good Sam. We also use the Trailer Life Navigator and like that it will show all the campgrounds along the way and then it's easy to see the pro's/con's of each one. It does not have all the State campgrounds though.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
New Camper

I think it's the same program, it was just renamed this year. I'm waiting for my copy to arrive.
Victor213 is offline   Reply With Quote