Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

RV/TT Auto Wash

Greetings all,

I am doing a bit of market research for a business proposal.

Having an RV/TT travel trailer, I have noticed there are very few places to wash it. Other than one’s own house, which at times is not practical or safe. Most truck/RV washes I have seen are rare. In addition, those types of places generally do not wash the roof at all.

Question 1: If a location were available to wash your RV/TT, would you use it?

Question 2: If the location was equipped with self and full service wash bays, which would you prefer to use.

Both self and full serve bays have the brushes and wands available to use, just like a normal auto and self-serve car wash. THe brushes would be longer to reach up and out to the higher portions.

Full serve wash would consist of various levels of service. All of which include roof wash. The higher in level you get the more additions of membrane protectants and detailing there would be.(Rims, tires, plasctic restore etc)

Self-serve provides a covered location (like a do-it yourself car wash), extended brush and wand, plus both sides of the bay would have a platform style catwalk.
P-Fam #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The little town we camp in periodically in East Tennessee has a car wash with one self service RV bay. The reason I mention it is that they have a stairway on one side of the bay that leads up to a platform about roof level of your RV and you can stand on it to wash the roof. If you are considering putting in such a wash, that might be something to consider.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
The little town we camp in periodically in East Tennessee has a car wash with one self service RV bay. The reason I mention it is that they have a stairway on one side of the bay that leads up to a platform about roof level of your RV and you can stand on it to wash the roof. If you are considering putting in such a wash, that might be something to consider.
Well, if I'd bothered to read the rest of your post, I'd see you have already considered that, lol. Sorry.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

That sounds like a great idea! A lot of people are unable to keep their RVs at home due to bylaws or space, so it would be great for them. We can store ours in our driveway, and actually just washed it yesterday.

One thing we might use something like that for (if it were close by) would be to remove the snow from the roof before heading south. This can be a very dangerous operation. Having access to the roof by way of catwalks would be great. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone would build something like that close to us because we live in a rural area and the demand would be too low to justify the cost. A city location would make economic sense for the owner.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Good idea....
I've found that the blue beacons do a great job for us @ less than $50 for truck, rv, and rain-x all over... (and they will do the roof)

being in the DFW area, there are three not too far away and I just make a stop by them on the way home from a trip...

Also have their app and can find them when on the road if too many bugs get us
Old 07-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I would use an RV wash like this. Here is South Florida it would do well. All the snow birds with dirty RV's.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

We have a blue beacon and do use it. We are capable of washing at home but sometimes there are things you just feel like paying someone else to do. Before I moved, I did not gave any options nearby for washing the tt and get to g it into the neighborhood was a very difficult task due to cars parked on both sides of the street. I looked everywhere for something like you are proposing. I think if you are in an area with many rvers and no truck wash then you might get a good client base. Do remember to make it tall enough for the full profile 5ers.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Also to get the salt off after camping along the ocean.
and sway bars.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Good idea....
I've found that the blue beacons do a great job for us @ less than $50 for truck, rv, and rain-x all over... (and they will do the roof)

being in the DFW area, there are three not too far away and I just make a stop by them on the way home from a trip...

Also have their app and can find them when on the road if too many bugs get us
Johnboy,

Not ALL bluebeacons have the capability to get to the roof. The ONE in Jersey does not have ladders, and only "rinses" the roof with a celing shower.
P-Fam #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

my mistake, the three I've been to did, i just chose not to get that done...
Old 06-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Sitting in line at a Blue Beacon in San Antonio. Lines are a little long, first time using them. Will let y'all know how it goes.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

I'm betting you are still several trucks back from getting through. It usually takes about 15 min per truck. Enjoy your wait.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Waited in line about 90 minutes and another 15 for the wash. Not bad considering it was 91 degrees while I was waiting. Had 5 guys working on it. Would have taken me all day... maybe more.
Overall, it was worth the $34.50.
Could I have done a better job, probably, but it would have take much longer and much more effort.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Not only is the catwalk a needed item...but the bays need to be extended to include the tow vehicle. Other "must" haves would be various brush options, improved lighting, vacuums with extended hoses and over-sized parking lots in order to move around when pulling or out.

With regards to the brushes, I do not use commercial wash centers because there are no brush options. There should be one brush specifically for tires/wheel wells, another for the RV and another yet for the tow vehicle. I use boar's hair brushes (extremely soft) on painted surfaces and another brush only for tires. I know it sounds picky, but use the right products from the start and routine maintenance and waxing is so much easier.