Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
New Camper

RV Warranty?

We recently bought our 2012 Cruiser 300SK and was curious if it's worth getting the extended warranty?

The dealership is offering the warranty through RV Warranty Forever.

How are the experiences? I generally pass on extended warranties, but with this being our first camper, we're not sure if we should pay the money now to have things like the slides and such covered or if it's a waste of money because they'll come up with reasons why they won't cover anything?

Thanks!
itshig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
Site Team

I personally believe in them. Way too much expensive items on an rv anymore. It's similar to buying auto insurance for you car. You may or may not use it. But if it's needed, then you have it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

It's a personal decision. Depends on how much the warranty costs and what is covered and excluded. My dealer tried to sell me one for close to $7,000 that covered a lot of stuff but also provided an exterior protection/wax that was supposed to keep you from having to wax for 2 years. Also a Scotch Guard type thing for the interior. The cheapest one offered to me was $2.500 and had a lot of exclusions. The RV itself usually has a minimum of 1 year and some components have up to two years. My Suburban furnace died 22 months after I bought the camper. I pulled the heater and took it to a dealer and it was fixed under warranty.

There are also extended warranty companies outside the dealer.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Every time I purchased an extended warranty when something came up. “I’m sorry that isn’t covered”.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Every time I purchased an extended warranty when something came up. “I’m sorry that isn’t covered”.
Papa-T
Or to fix the problem some additional parts or labor might be needed but in most cases they won't cover any thing extra...So it still comes out of your pocket...IMHO...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
New Camper

This, in my opinion, is a helpful basic overview of this subject: RV Extended Warranties - Pros, Cons, & Helpful Tips. If nothing else, it serves as a starting point for further research.

As for me, I have purchased these warranties, from my dealer, for each of the 3 trailers I've bought over the last 6 years. Haven't had to use them yet, but the one time my slide wouldn't retract (turned out to be a discharged battery), I recall the relief when I recalled I was covered for whatever the issue might be.

Happy trails.
Onwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onwego View Post
I have purchased these warranties, from my dealer, for each of the 3 trailers I've bought over the last 6 years. Haven't had to use them yet,

Happy trails.
onwego
My question to you would be these 3 trailers you bought in a 6 year period were they used trailers with no manufacturing warranty.???

In God We Trust
Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
New Camper

No. All were new. The manufacturers warranties were 1 year, and we use our trailers reasonably frequently (30 to 50 nights/year). So, for us, $1800 to $2000 was a solid investment, especially since we could recover the unused portion of the plan on a pro rata basis and apply that money to the new service agreement.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

onwego
Thank you for your reply...I was just curious about some of the details which you answered when you said the trailers were all new...Plus the rollover of the extended warranty to each new trailer...

In God We Trust
Old 01-25-2018, 04:38 AM   #10
New Camper

You're welcome. And, by the way, I don't recommend that anyone purchase 3 new trailers in 6 years, for all the obvious reasons. However, the new girlfriend didn't much care for the pop up after 2 seasons of rainy midnight walks to the bathroom, and her 4 grandchildren filled up the 24-footer I replaced it with fairly quickly, after they all decided, after 3 seasons with that, that they all enjoyed this hobby. Hence the new SS 26 SI, scheduled for delivery in April. On we go.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

onwego
I was not criticizing, and could see how easily that can happen...When we bought both our 5th wheels we got a two year warranty with both of them as opposed to your one year warranties...That is why I asked the question...Also I was not aware an extended warranty could be transferred from one camper to the next...So good luck with your SS26SI...ENJOY...

In God We Trust
Old 01-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #12
New Camper

Thanks, and never occurred to me you were being critical, FWIW. Just as a reference point, the extended warranty I purchased at my dealership was issued by Compass RV Protection. It's the company's "Platinum" plan which provides $0 deductible "exclusionary coverage", meaning all repairs are covered except those specifically excluded. These include improper maintenance, improper towing, repairs covered by the original manufacturer's warranty, etc. The term of coverage was 84 months and I was able to negotiate (and yes, the cost of most of these types of service plans is negotiable, to some extent) to $1895. Finally, my choice was to purchase the plan from the dealership because it had a lengthy and positive history of working with Compass. As the Service Manager put it, "We don't have to arm wrestle them to get paid, and we don't worry about their checks bouncing". Hope all that helps.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

onwego
Thanks for the information on Compass RV Protection...We have friends we camp with and they have an extended warranty plan ( not sure through who) and have had to argue with them on several claims they have filed...Also having to pay for items out of pocket...

In God We Trust
Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #14
Site Team

Have a Good Sam warranty and never had an issue getting any warranty work done. The repair shop took care of everything with the warranty company. And the best part, my repair shop had the rv finished in less than a week.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote