Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
New Camper

We are expercting our new CRUISER CF305SK from the Crossroads Factory and day now and we are getting pretty excited to start the camping season. Wewould like to be able to recieve TV reception while we are out and about. So we are just starting to look into Satelite TV revievers and dishs etc. I am sure there are many good setups out there but if we could call apon your collectiveexperience im sure we couldget off on the right path to start our search. We would like to keep the cost down as best we can and since we have been away from the RV life for the better part of 8 Years we have no knowledge as to what might be best and what to look for when purchasing such a devise. It might be best that I say we are from Langley BC but most of our camping will take place in theU.S. withsome outings with our grandkids in the interior of BC.

It would be nice if we could use the unit in both Countries.

Thanks for your help !

Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

We have Star Choice sat dish and it only takes me minutes to set up . We have the dish on a tripod,just need clear view to the south for rececption.

07 sunset trail 29rl

05 dodge quad cab hemi
laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Dish Network offers a no-contract plan for RVers. You can start and stop as needed on a monthly basis with no start up fees except for a $99 one time HD fee. You will need one of their receivers and a satellite dish. Go to www.winegard.com and check out the details.

We have DirecTV at home and will be bringing our DVR and bedroom receivers with us. I just ordered a DirecTV HD 3 LNB dish on EBay for about $135 plus shipping. As long as you are a paying DirecTV account holder you can use your service anyplace it is available at no additional fees.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
New Camper

Hi Laurie

Thanks for the input. We are getting some good advice already from this site. Good to see so many campers at the ready to help out.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
New Camper

Laurie

Do you use your setup down south our only in Alta ?

This would be good to know as like I said we will be doing a lot of our camping south of the border.

Thx
Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
New Camper

Dish Network sounds good. Have you had an oportunity to make use of it north of the49thparrallel ? Wondering if it has any limitations on the location use ?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

We have used our sat all over Canada and the USA with no problems and its legal Star Choice said,we have used ours for 3 years

07 sunset trail 29rl

05 dodge quad cab hemi
Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

The dish was free and the receiver was 100.00 the tripod was 70.00 we also have Star Choise at home and take 2 receivers with us.One for me and one for the boss{her} we camped 200 nites last year.

07 sunset trail 29rl

05 dodge quad cab hemi
Old 03-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

HI,

We are also from Langley and have Star Choice and have been taken ours with us for 2 years now, and have had no problems. That is allowed for sure. We tried for Direct TV but found that you have to have a US address, so we passed on that idea. It is so good, as you travel you can go on the internet and find the numbers that you need to set up. Much better that Bell, that does not allow you to travel with their dish. Nice to see another canadian from Langley BC
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

StarChoice or ShawDirect as it's now called is the way to go. They will help you set up your dish over the phone, no matter where you are, Canada or US. Dishnet or the other service in the U.S. is not available to Canadians so don't consider it. Also STAY AWAY from Bell ExpressVu because they will shutdown your receiver if they get an inkling that you are south of the border and besides, their call-in service is the pits. I'm telling you this from experience. Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #11

We have Direct TV at home and I bought another dish and a tripod. I use the DVR from home. Only problem is you can't get the local channels when you go camping because its in another zip code. I also went to ebay and bought a sat. finder for $ 9.00 Sets up quickly with the finder and you don't have to have the volume turned up which use to drive the wife and dogs crazy. Deputydog
Old 04-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
New Camper

Thanks for sharing, $9 sounds reasonable.
powdajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:30 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Jersey Guy
We have a Direct receiver and have no problems with local channels when away.

2008 CF32BL
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:06 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

We cannot receive local channels via DirecTV while away from San Antonio. I put up the Winegard Wingman and we get all the locals in HD.

DirecTV claims they are forbidden by the FCC from furnishing locals outside of your registered address area.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote