Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 07:03 AM   #1
New Camper

Sat/Cable Hookup

This may have been discussed already, but I have a question about hooking up my portable sat dish to my new camper. Bad thing is that I only have a cable hookup on the outside of the camper and not the dual hookup that includes satellite.

My guess is that the cable hookup on the camper won't carry the satellite dish signal to the TV's inside the camper.
2011 Silverado 1500
mgriff29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriff29 View Post
My guess is that the cable hookup on the camper won't carry the satellite dish signal to the TV's inside the camper.
Let me start off by saying I don't have a satellite dish...I also don't know why they put 2 different hook-ups on the outside of the campers...I do know that all the coax cable on the inside is either RG59 or RG6...The RG6 has a heavier gauge conductor than the RG59, but they are constructed the same...I would hook your satellite dish up to the connection you do have on the outside of your camper, but don't turn on the antenna amplifier...I do not see why that would not work...Hopefully someone who knows for sure will post also...Good luck...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I had a Cougar TT previously which had only one exterior input labelled Cable/Satellite. My Tailgater sat worked just fine when connected to that input. I believe yours will work as well.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Two things I learned with my Tailgater set up. The cable must be RG6, and there can't be a splitter because it degrades the satellite and power signal. I confirmed with Crossroads that the satellite feed was in fact RG6 with no splitter.
If a single cable is RG6 and has no splitter you should be fine.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

One more thing to add: No signal booster.

The dish gets its power from the satellite receiver box, so splitters and boosters interfere with the power.

Here are some pictures of a mod that will bypass the signal booster. I did this mod years ago on our old TT and it worked like a champ.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Dave
The web site that you added to your post as far as I am concerned should be added to the document section of this forum...

I will PM two of the site team members Lloyd & Mark to see if they can arrange that move...

In God We Trust
Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Dave
The web site that you added to your post as far as I am concerned should be added to the document section of this forum...

I will PM two of the site team members Lloyd & Mark to see if they can arrange that move...
Hey Rosie (or Tommy?),

There’s an interesting story about that document. I found those photos online after a fair amount of searching and I did the mod as shown in the pics. I had a hunch that the obscure corner of the interwebs where those photos lived wouldn’t exist forever, so I dumped them into a blank document template and added a few notes (including giving credit to the guy who originally posted them and citing my source). I saved the doc as a PDF and hosted it on my own host, flamingsquid.com, and never really gave it a second thought.

A couple of years later I was looking for something in the admin portal of my host account and I flipped to the page that shows the traffic to the site. The number of hits that dumb little PDF gets astounded me. That one file accounts for over 90% of the traffic on that site.

So then I got curious and Googled the file name. It turns out that that file has been saved into so many little nooks and crannies of the web, in all kinds of different sites (RV, 4x4, survivalist, astronomy, and on and on).

I also get a chuckle out of the template that I dropped those images into. I am a technical writer and I’ve written documentation for the software industry since the 90s. When I created that PDF, I just dropped them into a blank template that I was using at the time when I worked for a company called SeeBeyond. I worked there for about seven years and the product documentation that my team wrote was for the very first large scale product that used the new (at the time) Java J2EE enterprise edition. Sun was so excited that we had gotten their Java system to work in a complete enterprise end-to-end solution that they bought our company. Not too long after that, Oracle bought Sun. I haven’t searched lately, but somewhere out there are the docs for the SeeBeyond products and they have the same look and feel as that little satellite mod. But all these years later, the SeeBeyond/Sun/Oracle product is long gone yet my little Satellite Rewire doc still lives on. Pretty funny.

I would be happy to share the file in this site’s Documents section, as long as there is attribution and a pointer back to the original location of the file (in case I make future updates—not likely, but possible).
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Dave
Thanks for your reply...I only wish I knew what you just said...The only thing I do know is that sooner or later someone else on this forum is going to ask the same question as mgriff29 and I would love to be able to tell them if I just happen to read that question to go to the document section the answer is there..If that is OK with you...Because this is not the first time that question has been asked...

In God We Trust
Old 10-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Ok, old post I know but this is exactly what my issue is. I only have cable hookup outside at back of camper. It works with cable hookup, that I know. I have tried my satellite dish but nothing. I take it this will never work. Website link in one of the posts above is in Chinese.
2013 Zinger ZT260BH
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

660catman; you can find the information/pictures dedmiston is talking about by clicking on documents in the brown bar at the top of this page. Go to systems and download satellite rewire.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:57 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
660catman; you can find the information/pictures dedmiston is talking about by clicking on documents in the brown bar at the top of this page. Go to systems and download satellite rewire.

Found it, thanks!!
Old 10-28-2020, 09:54 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Sat/Cable Hookup

Well if you want your satellite to work on the cable outlet on your trailer also if you have dvr box I had to disconnect the cable from the antenna amplifier but leaving the antenna part hooked up as to use for when I have a digital signal for TV channels. So now you just have a cable connection just like in your home which will except either Cable source or satellite source. Also you than can send signal to bedroom or living room TV. I don't know why they put a booster on the cable connection as all it does is interfere with the signal.
This will work just perfect for you.. Good Luck
Bc, Canada
Crossroad Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:20 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroad Rick View Post
Well if you want your satellite to work on the cable outlet on your trailer also if you have dvr box I had to disconnect the cable from the antenna amplifier but leaving the antenna part hooked up as to use for when I have a digital signal for TV channels. So now you just have a cable connection just like in your home which will except either Cable source or satellite source. Also you than can send signal to bedroom or living room TV. I don't know why they put a booster on the cable connection as all it does is interfere with the signal.
This will work just perfect for you.. Good Luck

This would be another option for me as I have never got a signal from the antennae where we normally camp. This will be a spring project as camper is in storage for the winter. I don’t have a second connection in bedroom as my tv wall does a 180 to view in the bedroom.
Thanks