Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

My wife and I just bought a new Sunset Trail ST28BH last month and it's our first RV. We're also new to the CrossRoads forum so I thought that I'd give it a try. We bought a Winegard Anser portable satellite dish. Does anyone have experience hooking one of these up and getting it to work?
Hoosier Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

all I know is there are two connections at the rear of the trailer. the one closest to the edge or drivers side is for cable. The one to the right or closer to the passengers side is for satellite. Also inside swivel the TV half way and connect to the satellite connection above the TV not the cable/antenna connection.
The satellite connection is a dedicated line and does not go thru the antenna booster
Edited by: cw3jason

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thank you, that helps as the cable hookups at the back of the trailer are not labeled. My issue is that the satellite box has an HDMI out, but not a coax cable out. Where would I plug the HDMI out so that the signal can be used on the inside or outside TV? I'm thinking that I would need to get the signal from the satellite box directly to the AV box mounted below the TV so that the signal would be available inside or outside, but don't know how to get behind it the AV box to hook it up. Doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Hoosier Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

You will either need to get an older style reciever from direct with coax output (standard defintion) or use the composite output and purchase a modulator so you can take that input and change it to coax. Not much use putting high defition reciever in because that dish will only pick up standard defition channels. t
Old 05-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

From your reply, you are implying that you have two TV sets and you want to hook up both of them from your satellite box. That might be a little difficult. Not being familiar with your AV box, I can't give you an answer about connecting it up. My suggestion is to connect the inside TV to the satellite box directly. It your TV is a HD flat screen type, then that shouldn't be at all difficult.
Some Satellite boxes have a second output in the form of 3 RCA jacks, coloured yellow, red and white. These could be used for the second TV if the TV has them as a secondary input. You would have to set your second TV to "Video 1" to be able watch the satellite feed.
Hope this helps.
Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Dad
Thank you, that helps as the cable hookups at the back of the trailer are not labeled. My issue is that the satellite box has an HDMI out, but not a coax cable out. Where would I plug the HDMI out so that the signal can be used on the inside or outside TV? I'm thinking that I would need to get the signal from the satellite box directly to the AV box mounted below the TV so that the signal would be available inside or outside, but don't know how to get behind it the AV box to hook it up. Doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.

Not sure what you mean by "AV box". But here are the choices you would have:
1. Stick with HDMI and get a HDMI splitter and a HDMI wireless transmitter (~$500). You would have HDMI to the master TV and then split to the wireless, for other TVs you would have a receiver.

2. Out of your Sat Recvr you should have aRF output (most still do, e.g. ch 3-4) which is a coax connector, you can connect that up to the house antenna system. As it was pointed out your Sat wiring is separate from your antenna wiring.

3. Downgrade your recvr to SD, which then will have composite (yellow, white, red RCA) then you can use a composite wireless transmitter (~$100). My DirecTv SD recvr has two of these ports, so one goes to TV and one goes to wireless.

I opted out of 1 for costs, 2 was poor quality, so I ended up with option 3 and it works pretty well.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote