Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

My wife and I are scheduled to pick up our new fifth wheel from RVW this coming Friday. We'll be staying overnight and returning to Michigan on Saturday. The temperatures are predicted to be very cold for March 25/26 especially in Michigan. The low on the morning of our return is predicted to be 20 but the weather is supposed to be clear. I have never towed anything nearly this heavy before and I have never towed a 5th wheel trailer. Should I be concerned about these conditions?

Thanks,

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Cold won't bother you , snow may. Once you start pulling you will find the 5er very stabel. Rember It takes longer to stop. Stay under 65 mph. Enjoy your new camper.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Gary, I learned a few things the first couple of trips out. As CWIT mentioned, watch your car spacing, give yourself plenty of room when making turns especially right turns and go slow until you have a few days experience. Once on the hiway, it's easy. Enjoy.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Once you complete the PDI at RVW, make sure they drain all the water and at least blow out the lines before you hit the road. Otherwise, towing won't be a problem on dry roads, the pin weight helps a lot with traction. As already stated, with a fifth wheel, you need to make wider turns, especially right turns. Also, watch overhead obstacles.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Congratulations on your new Fiver....

We got our first one in December and it is a little different in a good way compared to a bumper tow. As cwit stated, it is much more stable on the highway; doesn't sway with the wind or when a semi passes. Can't help much with ice and snow, but be sure to drain the water heater and lines (blow out with air) to prevent freezing.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote