Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question Secure Stance Axles

Hey Folks,

Are the secure stance axles supposed to bounce around a lot independently?

We have had 2 blowouts in the last 7 months. One was driver's side front and the other passenger's side rear. The last one was pretty scary and dangerous - we got stuck on the side of I-75 with heavy traffic flying by and had to be towed out after we sank in the newly plowed dirt!

The tires are original - 3 years old at the first blow-out, and 3 1/2 at the second. We have covered storage so they are out of the sun but not out of the Florida heat and weather. So it could be just the age of the tires.

However, a friend took a video of our ride when we were coming back from the last trip (with the spare on, which is an identical tire). He said that on both sides, the wheels were doing a lot of bouncing around. This concerned us that something could be awry with our axles/suspension/alignment. We don't really know how the wide-stance axles are supposed to perform. Any ideas?

We are obviously going to take it in for repairs. Any ideas as to what we should have someone look at would be appreciated. We need new tires and some body work, of course, but what else can we have checked that might give us some peace of mind.

Thank you!
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Can we watch the video?

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
Site Team

Check to make sure the axles are in line.
Look at your old tire to see it the tread is wearing evenly.
Put a new dependable set of tires on, and, by all means have the wheels and new set of tires balanced! If you didn't balance the old set, that may have been what all the bouncing was about.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

When you replace the tires make sure to have them balanced, it will really make a difference. Most original equipment tires are not balanced.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks, everyone! Hubby is going to try to get the video watchable. It really didn't show much...but while they were taking it they noticed the bouncing.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Yes on the balancing . and making sure the wheels are in line. and all shackle bolts are snug, while you are at it ,add a wet bolt kit. The plastic spring bushings are almost definitely worn.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Previously to owning our CR STR 5er, we owned a Forest River 5th wheel for 14 years. After experiencing what you described during our first four years of ownership, I asked our tire dealer why I had blown all four original tires at different times during the 3rd year of ownership. He said that because the trailer sits for continuously long periods of time in storage, trailer tires start to break down from sitting and not rolling. He suggested replacing trailer tires every three to four years, regardless of the amount of tread still left on the tire. After that conversation, I started replacing my trailer tires every four years and never had another flat. Since my CR STR is a 2013, it's time to think about replacing all four tires, even though they look pretty good at the moment.

D.
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

Also if E rated tires came on it, go to F or G rated, where tires are concerned on a rv overkill is a good thing.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
Site Team

The OP has a --- 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve ST28BH
I think tires like that would be over kill.
If you get to much tire, that also can become an issue.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Balance tires, replace every 4-5 years and make sure you are not overloaded in weight.
I am going to put shocks on ours this spring.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:00 PM   #11
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
The OP has a --- 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve ST28BH
I think tires like that would be over kill.
If you get to much tire, that also can become an issue.
Just curious, how is too much tire an issue?
Most all rv manufacturers install tires that are marginal as far as rv weight & tire weight rating, so one step up on weight rating on tires I can't see how it would be an issue, one less thing to worry about.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Most all rv manufacturers install tires that are marginal as far as rv weight & tire weight rating, so one step up on weight rating on tires I can't see how it would be an issue, one less thing to worry about.
I agree, most RV's have tires that are marginal at best. Most are just plain crap!

The way I understand tires, is they are also part of the suspension. If you go to a heavier ply, (which is the tire sidewall), you end up with stiffer tire. They usually call for higher psi. All of that means stiffer suspension.
If you go to many plies heavier then needed it starts pounding your trailer to pieces because the tire is stiffer then necessary for the load it's carrying.

I'm a firm believer that contrary to some opinions you can have to much tire for the trailer.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:23 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'd agree on this. Our Rushmore came with E rated tires. We're going to be traveling some this spring, so it will be getting new shoes. G rated will be going on it.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:14 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Thanks for everyone's thoughts, ideas, and suggestions! We really appreciate it. We'll be getting it in next week for new tires - at least one step up from what came on the unit. As well as an inspection of the axles and a few other things. And we'll be sure to get those tires balanced!!
Old 01-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Tires

I would say that 1 rating size up from original is good. I had a 2006 Terry 5700lbs dry and went up one rating with new Maxxis tires and noticed a considerable upgrade in towing, less sway and side to side rocking of the trailer. It just seemed to track better. Had them balanced as well.

When its time to swap out tires on my '14 31ss I will do the same.
DerwoodF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Hey Folks! Just wanted to let everyone know how we resolved this. We felt like getting all new tires was the best route to go. The tires we had on there were original to the unit so were about 3 1/2 years old. They were 8-ply and we upgraded to 5 new 10-ply tires, professionally mounted and balanced.

While they were working on the travel trailer the manager came back to get us. He said he knows why we were having a vibration (and obviously what caused our blow-outs). The SPARE tire - which has only seen 2 trips (maybe about 5 hours total road time, home from 2 trips after 2 blow-outs) was all warped! He said the belt in it was split in at least two places. It was a sickening thing to see because we were totally unaware and it was obviously putting us in some serious danger! The tires on our TT were **** after only 3 1/2 years of traveling in state.

In the future we will insist on tires 1-grade higher than what come with the unit (whatever that may be), and we will replace them on a schedule, probably every 3 years, whether they look like they need it or not! It is already handling much better and we are sleeping much more soundly these days!

Thanks again for everyone's advice. It is always appreciated!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

I had a blowout on my new 2011 crossroads between el paso and van horn, in the summer. did a little research and found there were tons of people with the same problem. original tires were cheap china made. got some 8 ply carlile from discount tire. should last yrs. wish i could remember the name of the cheap tires. google your blowout tires and see what u find.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Gregtx, our 2011 Zinger came with Powertrack tires, never seen that brand before but seems like there are alot of different manufacturers out there, they have been on our Zinger for way too long and are getting changed before the season starts for us. I too am going with Carlisle, seem to get good and bad reviews, as do most ST tires, I am going from a load C to load D for a little extra security.
Edge2, glad you got things figured out and no one got hurt during your blowouts, I have never had one but can image how nerve racking it would be.

Me and the 'Girls'
Jim, Kristina, Brianna, Kailee, Emma, Nalee the dog and Scout the cat
(even the dog and cat are girls)
Vermtown Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote