Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

When boondocking what are some good security measures .

beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Never leave the house with out my 9mm or .40 cal. Never used it and hope to god I never do but I will not be wishing I had it. I know a lot of people are against carrying but welcome to America where that and my freedom of speach is a right.

gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have a CHL and always carry my 9mm and .45 in the truck on our trips then they go to the trailer once we are setup. Since I carry all the time I am use to having something with me at all times. Plus we have two mini Dachshunds that can sound off pretty loud when needed.As Don said, I hope and pray I never have to use a weapon in self defense but the world is full of crazies these days.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I lock my doors, should someone break in, they will be at the mercy of my KILLER COCKER SPANIELS.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We go to a lot of State Parks and National Parks and I carry my gun ,but in TN unlike lots of other States, it legal and the Federal is either legal now or will be next month.I'll look that up later.But it does bother me to carry in States where its not legal, but I look at it as don't ask and don't brag.The safest thing is being in numbers and know what is going on around you.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

My first rule is I don't stay somewhere I don't feel safe. Past that, stay aware of your surroundings and be prepared to protect yourself and family if necessary.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:54 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

S&W .357 plus some Hydra-Shok JHPs in the cylinder does it for me.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I got rid of most of my firearms several years ago. No, I didn't turn into an anti gun liberal, I needed tha money. That being said, I have a nice size baseball bat that I was given shortly after being promoted to Sgt. at the Sheriff's Department.

So, if someone breaks into the trailer when we're inside, then someone is going to get their *** kicked; I just hope it's not me.
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Anyone who has been on the forum for awhile knows I'm not anti guns. Would be hard for me to bring home the occasional ruffed grouse while I chase my dog through the woods in the fall. Nothing said here will change someone's habits. I've noticed that many of the campgrounds I've stayed in (especially outside Michigan) have rules clearly stating no firearms allowed. I've said it before and I'll say it again .... If you possess a firearm where the campground rules probhibit it, or local, state or federal laws prohibits it, then you are the same common criminal you despise and fear.

Like lynlou, I don't know that I'll come out on the top end should someone invade my space, but it won't be for lack of effort on my part. Hoping no one here ever faces the question. Like Lonnie, if I don't feel safe I won't stay.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

The realities of life are that nothing is illegal unless you get caught at it...so until that happens...well...we'll be with Mr Smith or Mr Ruger on all camping trips... we don't camp where we don't feel safe either if we can help it...sometimes that feeling changes after your are there...
** MEMBER of the MASON-DIXON BUNCH **
** MEMBER of the Northeast Adventure Rally Group **
** MEMBER of the Montana Owners **
** MEMBER of Jayco Owners forum **
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I do know this much; my brother-in-law is an assistant manager at a K-Mart in Erie, Pa. They've always allowed campers to park in their lot over night with no problems - until fairly recently asit's not unusual for travellers to have criminal mischief done to theirRV's. Here's the kicker; the local precinct believes that the damage is being done by a couple of local campground owners who want ordinancespassed forbidding parking an RV overnight anywhere but a registered campground.

lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Protecting my family trumps the law any day in my book. Having said that, I don't carry firearms but that's because of other reasons.

ghiotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sola123
The realities of life are that nothing is illegal unless you get caught at it...so until that happens...well...we'll be with Mr Smith or Mr Ruger on all camping trips... we don't camp where we don't feel safe either if we can help it...sometimes that feeling changes after your are there...

Apoacher is not a hunter, rathera criminal. Breaking the law, caught or otherwise still makesus a criminal ... albeit one that has not been caught, prosecuted and/or convicted.

What follows is not directed at you personally, but at all of us generally.

Look, I'm no polyanna. I speed with the best of them. But I was taught a measure of a man is not what he does when others can see him. Rather it is the choices he makes when no one else knows. I try to obey our laws ... even ones I don't agree with. To do as I wish simply makes me an anarchist, it doesn't make me right.

Many friends are not allowed to go hunting with me, including my grouse hunting mentor. Swing a shotgun over my head just once and you're done .. now. When I'm out and come to a no trespassing sign, I turn and head in another direction. Two of my friends believeif you're not caught what does it matter? They no longer hunt with me. Even when I"m alone, I handle my firearms responsibly and obey property rights, firearms laws and hunting laws. In other words, I maintain my integrity at all times.

If your ethics and morals allow otherwise, that is your choice.I choose to maintain my integrity as myconscience doesn't allow for a gray area.... either you obey the law or you break it ... according to my view.If you have firearms where you camp and they're allowed, I'm happy to camp with you. I certainly had my shotgun with when I went grouse hunting. And YES, I cleared it with the campground owners before I made my reservation. If they're not allowed and you choose to have them, I really don't want you in the same campground nor do I wish to camp with you.

I think I just broke the soap box

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote