Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
New Camper

Sewer hookup ?

So we are heading out on our maiden voyage after work today in our new CROSSROADS 29BH this is our first real camper with all the modern conveniences so I either forgot to ask back in March when we got it or forgot what the set up man told us so here's my question. We have full hook up at the site we are going to so when I hook our sewer line up and connect to the line at the campground do I open the valves on my camper or do I leave them shut so the waste goes into the holding tanks and then just open them to drain and rinse before we leave? I can't picture in my mind there is enough water in a flush to wash the waste down the pipes into the tank, through the sewer line and on to the campground line without having a mess.

Thanks in advance I have to go back to work and will check on what you all have to say later today.

Thanks again,
Ben
Mulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Leave the valves closed until either you leave, or tanks get full. Which probably won't happen with just being there for the weekend.
Have fun.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulie View Post
So we are heading out on our maiden voyage after work today in our new CROSSROADS 29BH this is our first real camper with all the modern conveniences so I either forgot to ask back in March when we got it or forgot what the set up man told us so here's my question. We have full hook up at the site we are going to so when I hook our sewer line up and connect to the line at the campground do I open the valves on my camper or do I leave them shut so the waste goes into the holding tanks and then just open them to drain and rinse before we leave? I can't picture in my mind there is enough water in a flush to wash the waste down the pipes into the tank, through the sewer line and on to the campground line without having a mess.

Thanks in advance I have to go back to work and will check on what you all have to say later today.

Thanks again,
Ben
Definitely leave the black tank valve closed. The grey tank valve is a personal preference thing for most people. I open the grey tank and leave it open, unless I am going to dump my black before we leave. If I am doing that, then I leave the grey open until the afternoon before we leave, then let the showers and dishwater from one afternoon/evening build up in the tank and then use that soapy grey water to flush out my sewer hose after dumping the black tank.

I always make sure the grey tank is empty before we leave because there is no reason to pull the extra weight. I only dump the black tank when it is around 2/3 full (usually about every 3rd trip for our family) or if I know the trailer is going to sit for a while before our next trip.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
Gone Traveling

Also DON'T depend on the sensors to give you correct levels in the holding tanks, fresh water may be correct but grey/black might work this trip but will read the same level after that. This is my 4th 5er & the 4th one that the sensors are useless.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
New Camper

I always leave both closed until I need to dump for two reasons....
1. I have full tanks to flush everything out due to the volume of water. You are right about the black tank not draining well with only a small volume of flush water.
2. Don't want sewer gas or some weird lift station backup seeping back into my camper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
aerojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Also DON'T depend on the sensors to give you correct levels in the holding tanks, fresh water may be correct but grey/black might work this trip but will read the same level after that. This is my 4th 5er & the 4th one that the sensors are useless.
Never had the problem on my grey tank, always get it on the black from TP sticking to the probes. I have always been able to fix the black tank sensor by filling the tank up with clean water and a double dose of toilet chemical and letting it sit for a couple days.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFun View Post
Definitely leave the black tank valve closed. The grey tank valve is a personal preference thing for most people. I open the grey tank and leave it open, unless I am going to dump my black before we leave. If I am doing that, then I leave the grey open until the afternoon before we leave, then let the showers and dishwater from one afternoon/evening build up in the tank and then use that soapy grey water to flush out my sewer hose after dumping the black tank.

I always make sure the grey tank is empty before we leave because there is no reason to pull the extra weight. I only dump the black tank when it is around 2/3 full (usually about every 3rd trip for our family) or if I know the trailer is going to sit for a while before our next trip.
X2 I agree
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

We leave the gray valve open, black shut, until it's full, or time to leave. Add water to toilet to bring it up to at least 2/3 full. Close gray valve to prevent rush of black water going in the wrong direction. Attach Flush King and non-potable hose to campground outlet, using the "Y" I attached earlier when I connected regulator and white hose. Dump black tank, then close Flush King outlet and reverse flush until black tank full again. Repeat 3 or 4 times to get all paper out. Close black tank valve, add a little water from toilet and some "blue juice". Run hot water down sink. About 5 gal's. Drain gray tank. Reverse gray tank once using Flush King. With both gray and black valves closed, and Flush King valve open, turn on flush water to flush stinky slinky. While water is running, flex "stinky" from top end to bottom to make sure all turns and twists are washed. Turn off water, disconnect, and put everything away. Don't forget to put cap back on TT outlet!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Different opinion here...

Leave both valves closed unless one is nearly full. Don't completely drain the gray tank though. Then when it's time to leave, drain the black tank, flush the black tank, and finally drain the gray tank. This flushes your dump hose with sudsy water and it's the closest you'll ever come to washing that hose.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
Different opinion here...

Leave both valves closed unless one is nearly full. Don't completely drain the gray tank though. Then when it's time to leave, drain the black tank, flush the black tank, and finally drain the gray tank. This flushes your dump hose with sudsy water and it's the closest you'll ever come to washing that hose.
Good advice, also. The reason we leave the gray open if we are hooked up is that my wife runs water, does dishes, and takes showers without regard to the tanks if she knows we are hooked up. The black tank usage is more predictable and constant, regardless of hook ups.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Grey tank valve is one of opinion but if you leave the black tank valve open the entire time, the liquids will drain leaving the solids to dry out. The solids will dry like concrete and it will be nearly impossible to get that out of the tank. It didn't happen to me but I know of someone it did.
Mmattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmattias View Post
Grey tank valve is one of opinion but if you leave the black tank valve open the entire time, the liquids will drain leaving the solids to dry out. The solids will dry like concrete and it will be nearly impossible to get that out of the tank. It didn't happen to me but I know of someone it did.
The dreaded "Black Pyramid". Not good.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #13
Site Team

That's why it's so important, if your not dry camping, to run enough water through the toilet when flushing. Even if it means you have to drain the black tank more often. More water will help to prevent the dreaded pyramid.
Also, before draining the black tank, add more water into the tank. This will aide in removal of solids in the tank.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
That's why it's so important, if your not dry camping, to run enough water through the toilet when flushing. Even if it means you have to drain the black tank more often. More water will help to prevent the dreaded pyramid.
Also, before draining the black tank, add more water into the tank. This will aide in removal of solids in the tank.

x2 (learned the hard way!) I fill it to the top before dumping and add probably more water than necessary once closed for the new cycle. Every other time or so I dump, close, completely refill with clean water/soap, and dump again. If it doesn't sneak up on me, I'll close the grey water the day before and use the soapy shower water to final flush the hose.

Remember the plumber's slogan: "A flush beats a full house."