Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Sewer valves and slide overhang

I have a bit of a conundrum; I generally leave the gray and black tank valves closed when hooked to a sewer site, and have to put the bunk slide in to open them. This happens daily as my family fills the gray tank in one day. So everyday I put the bunk slide in and open the valves.

I have looked into a valve at the end of the sewer hose just as it enters the campground pipe and was wondering if anyone has one of these or if someone has the electric valve situated in the lines to open with the slide fully extended.

OR does someone have another suggestion? By the way I will not open the valves for my stay. I worry a critter will come into the camper from the campground piping. I fear some nasty bug getting into my camper from the pipe, or worse, vermin coming into the camper.

Thanks in advance for your comment.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Cant you just lay on the ground or go on your hands and knees to get under there from the end of the slide? Or teach one of the kids to do it?
I wouldn't put a valve at the end of the hose at the campground end incase the hose springs a leak...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I always leave the gray tank open when hooked to full hookup. Then when I need to dump the black tank I close the gray and dump the black. Once finished I close the black and open the gray again and leave it open. Don't worry about anything coming into the pipe. Even if it did it couldn't go anywhere except the gray tank and would be washed out with water flowing out. I've never heard of anyone ever getting a critter in their tank by the sewer hose.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

While we usually leave our grey open most of the time,
I have a small stool like a mechanics stool that I sit on if working under slides for any length of time...

but if quick stuff like this, I just drop a foam square like this down to knell on...
Old 05-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

x3 on leaving gray water open.

If you don't want to crawl on the ground to empty the black, you can install a power valve that has an actuator switch you install inside in trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-E100.../dp/B004RCXC1G

They also make a manual system that utilizes a cable you can mount between the slides.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-TC37...4NMWKFF7SSB4A2

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Yeah, that's the ticket !

here's a LONG cable you can run up through the floor and mount next to the bed
Old 05-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thank you all for the ideas. Crawling on the ground under the camper near the waste inlet is not something I wish or care to do. Yeah the kid could do it but why put him in harms way. I think the areas around the sewer inlet are contaminated with anything that goes through the hose. I do not believe people care about what remains once they are in pack up mode. This is why I personally do not wish to crawl around there.

The ideas you have given me are all good ones. I did not know there was an extended cable made for this which I may investigate more. I thought of the electrical blast gate but just more things to maintain and worry about. I am getting to the point in life that things need to be simplified. A cable fits that bill.

Also to your point I could leave the gray tank open and close it the day before departure so when we dump the black tank it would than be flushed as well.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildasindrive View Post
Thank you all for the ideas. Crawling on the ground under the camper near the waste inlet is not something I wish or care to do. Yeah the kid could do it but why put him in harms way. I think the areas around the sewer inlet are contaminated with anything that goes through the hose. I do not believe people care about what remains once they are in pack up mode. This is why I personally do not wish to crawl around there.

Thank you all for your input.
Your have to put the sewer hose on and off and that's as contaminated as you can get. Do you use disposable gloves? I mean; I don't roll around on the ground or anything. But Is there not enough room to squat down and go under the slide without getting on the ground. I don't have your unit, so I don't know.
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Its a hands and knees situation to get under the slides to release or close the valves when they are extended. The frame itself is high off the ground but the skirting is low for aerodynamics.
This is why I have to close the back slide for accessibility.

And yes I do wear latex gloves when handling the sewer hoses and couplings. Everything else is hooked up and the sewer is last because of cross contamination. Same when putting it all away. I guess the DW has gotten in my head over the years. She is beyond OCD when it comes to germs and cleanliness. Its a blessing and a curse sometimes.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #10
Gone Traveling

In all my years of rving you are only the 2nd person that I've heard of worried about critters coming out of the sewer into your rv, for the life of me I can't think of anything that would do that or how they would get past the holding tank if they did get in. Sounds like a great story line for a movie, "Sewer Zombies".
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Rats, snakes, roaches, lizards. All can come through that pipe from the campground.

Now that I have stated that, I do not believe the likelihood of something coming in to the holding tank is very high.

HOWEVER, the wife is worried all the time about critters, spiders, and every crawling thing on the earth. BUT, if I can get her mind at ease she will continue camping and enjoy it for the rest of her life.

We started tent camping many years ago which lasted all of two camp outs, from then on she wanted some type of camper. Fast forward to today and she is extremely happy with campgrounds and the whole outdoor exercise and looks forward to every trip.

If by some possibility that a critter comes into the tank my camping trips will come to a grinding halt, so I am simple protecting my interests and my/our joy of travel, camping, and the outdoors. Sometimes little lies are told to continue the ruse but if I can shut off the sewer world in her mind by simply closing the waste gate, I will do this every time.

I know we all do this at some point in life to protect our interests and our dear Wives; I think you understand my issue and my predicament with the love of my life. Even she admits she is crazy at times but I am always there to protect her and our love of life.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

How about this as you stated little fibs, tel her you shut the valve...she probably will not look,and if caught ,say you put it the wrong way , made a boo boo,...lol. Plus there are p traps under every sink. Good luck.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:47 PM   #13
Gone Traveling

I typically form a "p" trap in my sewer hose, not to keep critters out, but to keep sewer line odors to a minimum.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote