Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Question,
Should a dealer be allowed to use a RV that was ordered and is on the lot waiting pickup as a sales unit to show prospective buyers?

Edited by: mnsunset
mnsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

IMHO I don't think they should without prior approval from the owner's. Now, using the term "owner" implies you have bought the unit. If you have just put $1,000 down on it and have not completed the transaction or are awaiting financing...that may be a different story. This to me would be a "gray" area but one that could be cleared up by a quick conversation with dealer. I do not imagine my dealer would do so without my consent. Again, JMHO

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I go along ith tator447 on this. We did the paper work on ours and completed the contract and they locked it and put a sold sign on it prior to a show. They have to prep it and tweak some issues but technically I bought it so they took it off the market so to speak. Had I given them a couple hundred to hold it and haven't signed for it it could fall through for them so they have the right to show it IMHO.

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

We paid 5k down and it has been on the lot for a couple weeks and I am hoping it is locked up. Still can't figure why they were 3 weeks out to schedule a PDI.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Once you sign the bill of sale and title papers it is yours. Prior to that it is their property.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Art is right. You don't own it until the deal is complete. The dealership can do what they want until then.

However, we let people look at our unit all the time. Don't really see the difference between that and the dealership showing it. If something were to happen the dealership would have to fix/replace it any way.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Using that logic, the dealer could drag the unit to two or three shows and have hundreds trape through it.....I guess technically it isn't yours until you transfer title.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

What about a new car? Same thing: Belongs to the dealer until the title is in your name.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Yup, I agree.
I guess the other side of the coin is, if you don't like them doing it.
Get back the deposit and buy another unit. Then I bet the dealer is going to claim it is your unit the day you put down the deposit and they special ordered it.
However, I own a business where I supply goods to many customers. Once they purchase it I consider it theirs. Even if I have to order it. Even when they are on a net 30 payment. I think the customer would not like it if I walked into their place at 29 days and said "hey, wheres my stuff".

Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I personally wouldn’t want them showing my trailer after we made a deal. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

However I wouldn’t have a problem showing everybody the trailer myself.

��.come on in�look at my new rig!!

Let's go camping!!!

Terry, Eileen and the twins.
2006 CrossRoads Cruiser - CF29BT
2005 Ford PSD Crew Cab SD
Houston, Texas
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Well said,,,,well said.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
New Camper

At least in our state, you must show proof of ownership (i.e. title, bill of sale) before you are legally responsible or liable. So technically, you may not be the "owner" of the unit until you sign on the dotted line.
merleyclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

In my mind anyway, if you order a RV, the dealer should ask your permission before letting anyone other than one of their employees enter your RV.
Ownership of anything new that needs a title, such as a car, truck or RV, is a grey area, not a simple black and white issue. Your new RV (or car/truck) will not have a title - any title until you and the dealer complete the sale. The dealer would have the "Manufacturer Certificate of Origin(MCO)", and show they are the responsible party as a transfer agent for the manufacturer of the trailer. The manufacturer/dealer legal relationship transfers responsibility without titled ownership, and a dealer may not have a bill of sale - just holding the MCO until it is sold and then titled in your name.
When a dealer has a RV model on the lot, they usually have to prepare it for showing, and assemble it, and inspect it - even though they may not technically own it. They most likely have invested something into a model sitting on the lot. When you order your RV from the manufacturer, the dealer is just an agent, for you and also for the manufacturer. Thy never have a bill of sale, and probably didn't pay anything, probably not even the deposit to manufacturer. The dealer will receive an invoice, which they would then take and mark up, but you can be certain they won't pay that invoice until you sign on the dotted line and pay the agreed to price. Mostly because you could actually refuse the sale - and it could be because someone they showed your RV to, vomited up lunch on the sofa because of the new factory smell. Nice though, huh?

2011 Sunset Trails 24RB

2012 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7Hemi
epjohnso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

I also agree that if you special ordered an RV through a dealer and have placed a deposit on said RV that it should not be open to public traffic once it arrives as it is yourRV ordered for you.

Only if the dealer asks you specifically should they be taking folks through the RV.

I for one would demand my deposit back andwalk awayfrom said dealer for everif it were handled otherwise.

We can argue ownership all you want but when I ordered my new trailer in January and put down a deposit I considered the new trailer mine when it came in. Idropped off my trade ina month or so before the new one arrived.

Had I showed up and they had street traffic going through my new trailer causing wear and tear I would have lost it quite frankly as that is in poor taste andbad business in my view.

Luckilynot the case forour dealer Spring Mount RV in Owen Sound Ontario, they had immediatelyupon arrival taken our trailer out backto begin to performa PDI,they phoned us to come have a walk through prior to the PDI to ensure everything wasas ordered andto do a quick inspection.

We've worked with this dealer for many years and they aresome of the best in the business to deal with and for after sales service.

IMHO that is how a dealer should treat their customers who have committed to spending thousands of their hard earned dollars at their place of business. If a business argues otherwise itsure as heckdoesn't deserve your business in my view.

Edited by: speedster

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
Site Team

It has been my experience that a reputable sales place, no matter what their selling, puts a sold tag on it and it's off limits to the general public.
I would be so POd -- I would tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine!!

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

I did mention this to my dealer and they told me once they put a sold sign on a unit it is locked until the owner comes to pick it up. So, I guess the majority is correct here, the unit should be off-limits to anyone but the rightful owner.

Took mine back today for the 200 mile checkup on my brakes...took them about 20 minutes...I fully expected to pay for it, when they said no charge I knew why I liked them so much. And I had 3 small problems that I wasn't even going to mention...and one by one they took care of them. I was humbled...and thrilled by their care and devotion to the customer. I feel very lucky indeed.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote