Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
New Camper

I recently purchased a 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 33BD.... I have owned this trailer for less then 30 days and in this time I have had 2 water leaks....One major.... Hoses were not tightened... NO biggie there but here is a list of the other problems I have....3 small holes in the flooring in the bunk house... the antenna does not work....the city water hookup has pulled completely out of the trialer.... and now the awning bolts on one side have pulled completely out of the trailer wall (fiberglass) I guess my question is ... Did I just get a bad trailer or is anyone else having trouble with their 33bd....HELP.....
Old 07-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

you will likely not get anywhere with returning it but I would get on the phone to crossroads and ave them take it back to the factory to repair it. make sure it goes back to the factory at their expense and not your time/expense.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
New Camper

I talked to the general manager of the dealership and he said he wants to make it right whether they fix it or trade it out... I guess I am just wondering if I will continue to have these problems... I was wondering if I just got a bad one or is others are having the same issues
Old 07-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Unfortunately every manufacturer has good trailers and lemons and everything in between. Most new trailers will have some problems but this sounds like more than some. It sounds like even if it is fixed right you will still worry about it? Will it be traded for another exact same trailer or something different? What does your gut tell you to do?

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
New Camper

I think one of the worst things is the awning... I talked to a mechanic and he told me it sounds like it was just screwed into the fiberglass ( no wood bracing behind it) and that if they put a new bolt in it that it will probably just come back out again... If I trade it out I am on the fence right now as to if I get another sunset trail or if I go with another make and mode....another thing I am worried about too is that one of the leaks was the santi flush for the black water tank... the hose was not tightened and water was all over the trailer...under the shower and came out by the door.... will there be mold under there???
Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Water leaks are your worst enemy. Take it back. Sounds like the dealer didn't even hook it up to water before you took it home. Maybe a new trailer & dealer. My 2ยข.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Same thing happened to my black tank flush. Water everywhere. Just put a dehumidifier in it and open everything you can. Mild shouldn't be a problem.
Sorry about everything else. Not impressed.
2004 Grizzly 660
2005 C4S (sold)
Glenn996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I would trade it. Next time make the dealer go through everything, including hooking up water, opening/closing slides, etc. That's what our dealer did.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
New Camper

Should I trade it in for another Sunset Trail 33 BD or should I get another make and model....Did I just get a lemon or are there others out there with the same problems.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #10
Site Team

IMHO it's a toss of the dice. ALL brands have problems, check out their forums to see what their owners are posting.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Why trade and take a big hit when it is under warranty?
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
New Camper

Since I am 3 and a half hours away from the dealership....they send out someone in our area to fix the things that needed to be fixed asap....(city water hookup and awning) thank goodness they were simple fixes!!! The antenna was checked also... that is defective and will have to be replaced at the end of the season...but otherwise am feeling a little better about the trailer now...took off all access panels to make sure there was not mold from the water leak and there was not....WHEW!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I have a 33BD and had one major issue. When selecting the fireplace/waterheater switch to fireplace the rear slide would start coming in. I talked with CR and they sent out new wire to replace the shorted fireplace wire. I pulled new wire myself, did not want to wait 3-4 weeks to get it into the dealer. Other little issues: A few LED's out on the awning, possible small water leak on kitchen island. I can't tell were the water is coming from, it may just be splashed out of the sink when washing dishes. Other than that we love the floorplan. Planning the next trip to the Black Hills.
Happy Camping
b727capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
New Camper

Do yourself a favor! Get another brand.............I bought a Crossroads Slingshot 9 months ago and have had problems.They are built as cheap a possable. I have never owned an RV but after seeing how the systems are installed I looked closer at other brands and should have bought a guality RV. It was like buying a used RV, I just fixed the problems my self! Bill Stout told me they would pay me time and materal but never got anything.......BS.......

Brad Niblack
Hiouchi, Ca
1bajaboy@charter.net
1bajaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
New Camper

I have a 33bd also. Love it so far and no major issues (knocking on wood here). . I added caulking around the sink to deal with some leaks and put in extra screws to hold up pantry drawers (only one screw?? in each of mine and the drawers dropped down).
Dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #16
New Camper

Return it and make them stand behind it all the way. I have not had good experience with Crossroads and if you don't hold them to there word they will screw you bad in the long run.

Good Luck,
Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna
I have a 33bd also. Love it so far and no major issues (knocking on wood here). . I added caulking around the sink to deal with some leaks and put in extra screws to hold up pantry drawers (only one screw?? in each of mine and the drawers dropped down).

I had the exact same problem with my pantry drawers. However, there appeared to be no screws what so ever holding the wooden frame that the track ends attach too, to anything solid. Thus allowing the metal bracket to bend and the drawers to sag. I've temporarily secured the frame with wood but will have the dealer do a more permanent fix.

only other issues so far have been things like door latch adjustments and the quick disconnect fitting on my bbq will not connect to the supplied hose.
sunset33bd is offline   Reply With Quote