Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Slide Out Question

On the bottom of my slide out, there is a bundle of cables. As the slide moves in and out, this bundle is supported by a plastic harness. We bought the trailer used one year ago, from a dealer. During the delivery inspection we saw the plastic harness was broken in half, and the dealer replaced it.

On our last outing over Memorial day, we developed a water leak in the city water supply line, and while I was checking this out I noticed that the plastic wire harness for the slide out was broken again. Since we bought the extended service contract from Warrantech (Camper's Edge), I took it in to get it taken care of.

The service tech told me our contract will cover the water leak repair, but not the plastic harness on the slide out. He quoted me 2 hours labor + the part for the slide out repair, about $275 all total. I told him to not do that repair...

I pick it up from the dealer tomorrow, and will take some pictures to post. I want to look it over really close and see if I can replace the part myself. But the other question is why this part keeps breaking; Has anyone had this problem on their rig?

Thanks!
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
Site Team

If you are talking about the same thing I think you are------this is what I did for a fix.
It's a real light piece of belting. I cut it the same width as the wire support. Lapped it over the break, lined everything up, clamped it. and pop riveted it back together. I figure it will be there for as long as the trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1415.jpg (63.8 KB, 19 views)
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Some people have also installed a small hinge where it keeps breaking to solve the issue
Old 06-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I used a 1ft piece of rubber also but zipped tied it as we were on vacation,,,,that was 4 yrs ago and stilled zip tied...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote