Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
New Camper

Slide out Seals

Hello,

I just purchased a brand new 331BH late this fall and basically put some of our camping stuff in it and stored it for the winter. I happened to look under the carpet right in The corner of the main slide ( wither the slide all the way out) and could see daylight. I looked along the bottom corner of each slide and found them to be the same. There was also a gap with the slides in the closed position. I investigated further and it seems there is no seal along the inside edges of any of the slides to seal when in the open position. There are only the wiper seals. Is this normal for this unit? I hope not because I’m sure water, dust, mice etc could easily enter the unit if it relies only on the wiper seals. I contacted my salesman and he said to bring it back in the spring for them to look at. I hope they can do something about this because I’m having second thoughts about this unit if that’s how it is normally designed from the factory. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ejected1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:31 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I don't think any of them are truly airtight when open but that sounds like maybe a little too much fresh air. You do want to keep them closed when not in use.

Why don't you take some pictures and take them by the service dept and also maybe compare them to some similar slides yourself first. I find RV service is like a doctor visit (Including delays and waiting) in that the more specific you are in what is wrong and what you want done, the better your chances in getting satisfaction.

This is a good example of the value of a thorough inspection before handing over the check. I wouldn't count on much help from your salesman since he's been paid and moved on. The service dept. will probably more helpful.

You could also post pictures here for better focused advice. Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

In most I've seen, the bottom of slides are usually not weather tight.

Don't most self contained units suggest you open a window to limit condensation when using gas heat ? so maybe this is their 'designed' air input method

Yes, in storage, everything is closed up, but I may leave interior cabinet doors open to ensure the plugged in heat (that I leave on) gets to the water systems.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Ejected1
Unless you got a 5 year warranty with your new camper I would contact their service dept. and tell them you want your camper taken care of NOW...It's bad enough that you have a problem that has to be addressed, but this GOOFBALL salesman wants you to wait until spring so it will what, inter fear with your camping season...????

I would call CR customer service and then go from there...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Stormseeker had a good idea to compare pictures of your unit with other trailers. This will provide a good baseline for discussions with the dealer.

I agree with SleepyT. If there really is a problem have if fixed now during the off season. Waiting will not fix the problem or make it go away. Maybe that is what the salesman was thinking if we delay the problem maybe it will just go away.

You didn't purchase a new unit with a warranty just to be ignored. If it is determined your unit has an issue, be respectful but demand the problem be address in a time that is works you (off season) and while it is under warranty before it becomes an issue that you need to pay for.
43tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks guys,

I would have brought right back to have them fix it but we both agreed early spring would be best as I live in the Canadian prairies and winter has settled in early this year. In fact, I just got the unit into inside storage and 2 days later we got 12” of snow and the temp has been -20 pretty consistently since. I sent an email with pictures to the service department (as instructed by the salesman) describing what I need fixed. I will book it in and hopefully get it looked after before the camping season begins. Also I do have extended warranty.

Thanks again for the responses!
Ejected1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
331bh, gaps, leaks, seals, slideout