Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi folks,
Troubleshooting an intermittent leak on one side of the main slide, looking around whilst on the roof and see this (main slide partially open):

So where would you start? The "leak" point is right at the closest corner in the photo. Seems to me the water runs down the edge of the seal and then drips on the carpet inside. Not sure if that rubber seal laying on the roof is an integral part of the "system" or not.

Everything there is a tacky mess. Looks like someone pumped a bunch of caulk all over everything and it never has cured.

Anyone replace these seals?

2000 Audi A4 1.8T
All turbos!
Triumphguy on rv.net
FSuperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The rubber seal laying on the roof seals the slide to the trailer wall when the slide is closed. Needs to be replaced/reattached.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

On my last camping trip of the fall, late October, when cleaning off the slides I noticed that this same seal on mine didn't look "perfect". I will take my unit back to CR Factory in April and have them replace mine too. Hope they do a better job than on the original.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

F Super Duty --- I replaced one of these seals. It is called a " D Bulb Seal ". If you look in the end of the seal there is a screw on both sides that holds the seal in place. Take the screws out and the seal should slide out of the track that holds it onto the camper. There might be some caulk over the screws, you will need to remove the caulk to expose the screws. As far as I remember that is how it is replaced. You can buy the D BULB SEAL by the foot from CR. Hope I was some help.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Tator 447 --- You may find that you will be replaceing this seal from time to time. When you stow the slide it presses against the seal, sometimes the seal sticks to the slide and when you move the slide to the out position the seal does not release from the slide and rips. You might want to use something on the seal like (Protect All Slide Out Rubber Seal Treatment) to help the seal release from the slide. JMHO.

In God We Trust
Old 12-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT
F Super Duty --- I replaced one of these seals. It is called a " D Bulb Seal ". If you look in the end of the seal there is a screw on both sides that holds the seal in place. Take the screws out and the seal should slide out of the track that holds it onto the camper. There might be some caulk over the screws, you will need to remove the caulk to expose the screws. As far as I remember that is how it is replaced. You can buy the D BULB SEAL by the foot from CR. Hope I was some help.
Thank you sleepyT - when I was up there I looked a bit and it seemed that all that was holding it in place was the screws at the end. It's actually doing it on all my slides, but only the main "leaks" at that corner.

So when you replace it, it stays in the track? I guess you stretch it across tight and screw in at the ends? It's not clear to me how it would stay in...

I'll be calling CR after I get out and measure. Thanks for letting me know what to order
2000 Audi A4 1.8T
All turbos!
Triumphguy on rv.net
Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

While that seal needs to be replaced, if your water leak is happening with the slide out open, then this specific seal is not the cause since it works when the slide out is closed. However, it does look like it stuck to the slide room and ripped when opening the slide out. So there is likely other damage that is contributing to the leak. It looks like there is a 'wiper' seal on top that may be allowing water to run underneath and then the inside seal, either the top seal or the side seal is not effective and allowing water to leak inside. There is a lot of water falling on such a large roof in heavy rains that has to run off the sides. The slide out roof has a slight slope, but if the trailer is parked out-of-level or with high winds, water can easily be pushed under the wiper seal.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

F Super Duty --- After you replace the seal you will need to caulk the upper part of the seal, and the ends where the screws are located.

In God We Trust
Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
While that seal needs to be replaced, if your water leak
is happening with the slide out open, then this specific seal is not the
cause since it works when the slide out is closed. However, it does
look like it stuck to the slide room and ripped when opening the slide
out. So there is likely other damage that is contributing to the leak.
It looks like there is a 'wiper' seal on top that may be allowing water
to run underneath and then the inside seal, either the top seal or the
side seal is not effective and allowing water to leak inside. There is a
lot of water falling on such a large roof in heavy rains that has to
run off the sides. The slide out roof has a slight slope, but if the
trailer is parked out-of-level or with high winds, water can easily be
pushed under the wiper seal.
I should have mentioned - it seems to only happen with the slide in. We've been out in plenty of heavy rains camping and not any water intrusion from what I remember. But sometimes when going to pick up the camper from storage, I'll find that there is a damp spot on the carpet on that side of the slide.

The 5er doesn't sit level, it is parked front high and the streetside (where this slide is) faces west. Also the spot isn't level side to side either, the streetside is lower.

I thought about experimenting with leveling but just put it under a cover so (theoretically) don't have to worry about it for now ...

I think what's happening is that without that top seal to channel water away when the slide is closed, the water gets down to the roof, runs downhill and then along the side into the carpet.

At any rate it needs to be replaced, so I'll do that in the spring and test out with the hose for the first wash of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT
F Super Duty --- After you replace the seal you will need to caulk the upper part of the seal, and the ends where the screws are located.
Thank you that makes sense now
2000 Audi A4 1.8T
All turbos!
Triumphguy on rv.net
Old 12-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

May another good reason to install slide toppers. Was the slide in for a very long time?

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=FSuperDuty]
I should have mentioned - it seems to only happen with the slide in. We've been out in plenty of heavy rains camping and not any water intrusion from what I remember. But sometimes when going to pick up the camper from storage, I'll find that there is a damp spot on the carpet on that side of the slide.

[/QUOTE

FSuperDuty,

Thanks for the clarification, with the slide closed, then the bulb seal is the only thing keeping water from getting inside. Once water gets past it and onto the closed slide out roof, it will have to run off somewhere inside the trailer, whatever is the lowest point. So, a new seal, well caulked should fix the problem.

Also, with the slide out closed and facing west, that highlights why it is important to keep the seal well lubed so it doesn't stick to the slide out and pull off.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeNY
May another good reason to install slide toppers. Was the slide in for a very long time?
Our camper usually sits for 2 months between trips ... slide in the whole time. I've thought about slide toppers but they aren't cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1

FSuperDuty,

Thanks for the clarification, with the slide closed, then the bulb seal is the only thing keeping water from getting inside. Once water gets past it and onto the closed slide out roof, it will have to run off somewhere inside the trailer, whatever is the lowest point. So, a new seal, well caulked should fix the problem.

Also, with the slide out closed and facing west, that highlights why it is important to keep the seal well lubed so it doesn't stick to the slide out and pull off.

Thank you that's very clear now. I didn't understand how that seal would be off every slide, but it seems to me that the original installation was poor. The slide exterior trim (that would compress the bulb seal) is very sticky as well as all of the seal itself. It appears to me that everything was overcaulked and allowed the seal to stick to the slide, eventually pulling it off.

Seems I've got a messy job ahead of me if I'm going to get it to stay put. Any tips on removing the old caulk and cleaning up the surfaces? Figured I'd prepare with acetone before installing the new seal. I think I'll start with the bunk slide first since it's smaller before going for the big one.

Edit ... found this, looks similar. Appears to have a groove to slide onto the track on the exterior wall. I'll have to go back and measure to be sure - the old isn't working anyway so I'll just cut some off to bring home and have a reference. Of course I'll call CR too but if I can find the same cheaper...

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/prod...roduct_id=2209

Edited by: FSuperDuty
2000 Audi A4 1.8T
All turbos!
Triumphguy on rv.net
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

FSuperDuty,
Generally, CR is pretty reasonable in their pricing for replacement items. With a credit card, you can order what you need and have it shipped directly to you. On the other hand, buying from any other source will work as well. Even if what you buy doesn't look 100% like the seals on the trailer, that is not critical. Manufacturers switch suppliers all the time on small items like this. As long as the seal is the same width and height it will do the job.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 12-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=Dayle1] FSuperDuty,
Â* Â*Even if what you buy doesn't look 100% like the seals on the trailer, that is not critical. Â*

Wrong!!! F Super Duty, your contact at CR is AFOSTER@crossroadrv.com, if you own a Cruiser. He is the parts guy for Cruiser. The CR part number for the D Bulb seal I used is:#208910, and it cost $1.49 per foot. The seal has a track that it fits (slides) into, that track holds the seal to the camper. IMHO if you buy a generic seal you will be replacing it shortly after you install it.

PS -- The 5er I used this seal on is a 2007 Cruiser 30SK.

In God We Trust
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Thanks SleepyT for the contact and the P/N ... I'll contact them shortly. $1.49 / ft is a lot better than what I've seen online.
2000 Audi A4 1.8T
All turbos!
Triumphguy on rv.net
Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

after you replace, keep an eye on it. I go on my roof and inspect things like this a few times a year. Twice a year I put some silicone spray on the bulb seal to help prevent it from sticking as the slide goes out. But every fall I usually end up replacing some caulk along the side/top of a few bulb seals. On my unit, it seems to be the vertical seals that stick and tear the caulking the most.
I bought myself a caulking tool kit to help remove the caulk. I bought a plastic tool because I thought the metal one would be too abrasive on the exterior of the trailer. It was only a few bucks at the local hardware store.
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote