Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #1

Planning a camping trip for this weekend. Had the camper out getting ready for the trip. My wife called and said the LR slide wouldn't go out. I came home and it was stuck, it would only click, click, click. So, I got the manual crank out and tried to free the slide. I had to do this one time before. Last time I turned it about one turn, then it worked fine with the electric switch. This time I could tell it was really stuck. I tried to crank it as easy as I could. Snap! The crank rod sheered off inside the underbelly. I called crossroads to see what I could do for now. First, they told me to loosen the bell housing underneath on the slide. The bell housing is round and about 2 1/2 inches across and has a lock nut. I finally got it loose, but the slide still didn't work. So, I unscrewed the underbelly so I could see the slide motor. I could see where the rod had sheered off just before the motor. It broke just before the pin that connects the rod to the motor rod. So, luckly it can be repaired with another rod. I took vice grips and turned the rod where it broke. I got it to turn. Slide works now. I can still take it camping and then have it repaired after I return. The service center said it sounds like the slide needs adjusting. Just for the record when we bring the slide in we always make sure we quickly stop when we hear the first click, click. Anyone else had this problem before?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

;od stuff to know. I think a lot of us unintentionally hold the button to hear a few extra clickity clicks just to make sure it has closed all the way. Any chance you can take a picture of the broken part?

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

This has been an ongoing problem for us and apparently, for many others on the forum. Our dealership recently replaced the motor on the LR slide but when we got the trailer home, the slide wouldn't go out. Like you, when this happens I crank the slide by hand, (just 1 or 2 turns) then it works fine using the switch. There is some speculation that the bell housing is smaller than the hole in the trailer frameand is getting stuck. There have been a lot of complaints about this problem, I'm surprised Crossroads hasn't issued a recall.

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I hada 2011 Kingston with that problem. Initially it was thought the cup or bell was too small and got stuck in the frame. My dealer worked with Lippert for quite a while and the final determination was a flat spot developed on the screw shaft at its final resting point. It would only take a couple of turns with the hand crank and it was good to go. My dealer along with help from Lippert replaced the slide mechanism and the problem was solved.
I did post it on this forum and there was a lot of discussion. However I think I would be more inclined to say there was a lot of discusiion on this subject rather than there was a lot of people with this problem. I suppose that is why we haven't heard anything about a general recall or something that points to a major issue. Considering the number of Crossroads products out there I would almost consider this problem to be more in the rare category (and hope it stays that way cuz I now have four slides).

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:59 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I haven't heard of "a lot" of people with this issue, perhaps on another forum?

I think the tendancy for most folks is to hold the button to hear that "clicking" sound as a comfort the slide is closed. It really isn't necessary as you can see the slide seat itself. A slide adjustment should take care of the issue for most folks, the slide just needs to compress the bulb seals and seat against the wall, not crush the seal or suck into the frame beyond the bell housings ability to clear the frame holes.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #6

Update: I contacted Crossroads and they said the slide out and components were made by Lippert Components, Inc. I called them and spoke to Ed. The part is called a Manual crank with roll pin. He first wanted to charge me for the part saying it was a maintence part. I reminded him that my unit was 8 months old and should be under warranty. He finally agreed to send me the part for free. I have an appointment on the 19th to have the slide adjusted. Here is a picture of the broken crank rod.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have heard of a good number of these breaking. Seems to be a know weak part. I am not looking forward to the day I need to use mine.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

We had the same problem as Ken and Renee. Dealer replaced kitchen slide motor in Oct. 2009 because slide was "sticking". By last summer we continued to have occassional problems with slide either not moving when open or not moving when closed. Lippert sent them a complete new motor and actuator. Haven't had any problems since. Dealer said when they tested old motor actuator assembly that their were several spots in the actuator travel range where it bound up and stopped. As far as the manual tube, be careful to turn it the right direction. It doesn't take much force to break them. I broke one on our '07 Cruiser. This tube is way to thin in my opinion. Crossroads/Lippert definitely needs to go to heavier wall tubing.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #9

I agree the tubing should be thicker. I have thought about buying thicker tubing and making some new ones. It wouldn't be that difficult. Take one off and use it as a pattern. Any thoughts on this one. Deputydog
Old 08-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Dang. I just had the same exact problem as deputy dog. Slide was stuck and I went to manually turn the shaft and it sheared in the under the belly.

Myunit is 14 months old. What is the warranty on the slide?

Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mike
Dang. I just had the same exact problem as deputy dog. Slide was stuck and I went to manually turn the shaft and it sheared in the under the belly.

Myunit is 14 months old. What is the warranty on the slide?
I would sure think it's two years, just like the rest of your unit.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

This was a very helpfull post.

I was feeling crafty this afternoon anddecided to make a better shaft. I had some left over 1/2" aluminum rod. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the end to insertit over the existinggear box shaft. Then I drilled two more holes for the cotter pin and for the hardened pin to accept the factory wrench. Worked perfect, the 3/8 hole made for an almost press fit and the newextension feels very solid. One full turn and the electric motor works again.

Looking at the bell, it almost looks as if it is jamming itself into the frame hole. I am fairly new to the RV world but I would have to say some of this hardware looks to be a poor design.

Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
Site Team

Take a closer look at that bell, and you will see a jam/locking nut on the shaft. If your bell is pulling to far and able to enter the hole in the frame, that is probably why you are having trouble. You might be able to adjust it a little bit and end your problem of sticking.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:57 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Lot of us had problems with the slide back in July 2010 when the new 2011 models came out...Lippert got involved and had several reworks and we thought that problems had been solved but I guess not....really should have had a recall. Lippert changed mine out back then. Had a bunch of posts back at that time. Good luck and hope lippett can help you out.
whipandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

We had same problem with our 2010 ST29RL. Slide would not extend and manual crank broke off. After getting it to my dealer, they said the bell needed adjusting. It was 4-6 weeks past 2yr warranty. Lippert would not cover it BUT crossroads did after I called customer service. They covered the broken crank, and labor at dealer.
ST29RL

https://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...unsettrail.jpg
icefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote