Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

My slide is working (sometimes). Last time I tried it it would not work and I had to hit the wall and it started working again. Could it be a bad switch? I'm not sure how far I can track the wires in the wall to see if it's a bad connection. I had the motor replaced last year, but I would think that with hitting the wall around the switch box to work that the problem would be inside the trailer connections. Thoughts?

Local RV store said that switches don't bad on a normal and that once I get it out that I could check the switch. He said he would be shocked it's the switch.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Keith, I know our trailers had to have been built at the same time, seems like it is always one thing after another....
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

If yours is like mine, the switch is connected with push on 1/4" spade connectors. Pull the switch and make sure they are all on completely, tight and that the crimp is good. If the spade is loose on the switch you can use pliers and squeeze it to tighten the female spade connector (the one on the wire) .

The wires are probably just run loosely through the wall but chances are there is nothing wrong with them.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Despite what the dealer said, the switches do go bad. They carry the motor's full load. I would test by replacing it with a working switch from another slide if possible. Be sure to mark connections and wires properly. I always carry a spare switch as I have had them go bad. Banging on the wall definitly shows a loose connection which can be internal to switch or in the wires.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I had the same problem. Wire was loose on the switch. Just tightened up the spades connectors and it was ok.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote