Old 11-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We LOVE winter camping - Have a trip planned to Memphis first of Dec and over New years in northeast Texas....
I know - our 'winters' are usually like some of your spring time type camping

But we have been in the snow and it is a quiet you can't believe !
we always use the furnace though to ensure the basement does not freeze as I had a previous 5'er freeze, not pretty and not cheap repairs!

We don't rough it, so also have a pirit heated water supply hose and when in storage and not winterized, set the furnaces on 45, place 200 watt electric heaters in basement wet bay, etc.. plugged into these --> https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...+weather+plugs
Old 11-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #12
Site Team

I haven't seen these before.
Thanks for putting them up John.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Here a couple of picture's from last march at Macgregor Point. We got 6" of snow overnight and I didn't clean the roof off the next day. It got down to -15 with a -20 windchill. The escaping heat from the trailer melted a layer of snow that then turned to ice.
I had an awfull time removing the ice layer from the slide roof to get it closed after 5 days. I was getting concerned as we had to leave the site for the next brave camper.
It was a great experience overall, but the better half said never again. We were toasty warm with furnace. It worked really well. Lot's of snowshoeing and dog walking and we even cooked breakfast on the fire.
I would not think you should leave the slide open when you leave for the reason's already mentioned.
Have a great winter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170311_082800.jpg (263.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20170311_090011.jpg (340.1 KB, 13 views)
hippy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Awesome pictures!
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Last spring we had an unexpected overnight snowfall (six inches). Ours wasn't as bad as hippy45's, but it was still a big fat mess.

Cleaning the snow off the slides was pretty impossible. We did our best, but didn't get all of it before we had to clear out of camp and hit the road. We had to clean up a lot of water from the melted snow once we got down to lower elevations.

The snow on the bedroom slide melted all over my wife's side of the bed. She had to sleep in the rear bunk that night. (My side of the bed was still dry and comfy!)

Slide toppers would have prevented this, but I don't know if I can go through all that expense just for the rare snowfall. (We seem to get snow in camp every other year, on average.) Most of the time we boondock, so I don't mind just staying in camp another day until the white stuff melts away.

Next time this happens, I will raise or drop the nose of the trailer to try to get it to run off while the slides are still out.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:13 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflake View Post
So we just got back from a couple of nights at the trailer. Was 35F when we arrived. Turned on both electric fireplace and propane furnace, and had it up to 65F within about 25 mins. Using just the fireplace and a second electric heater we kept it at 67 during the day with no furnace at all. Much better than we anticipated! So peaceful and quiet. Thinking of New Year's eve now!

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk
We are camping, in Gatlinburg Tn, right now. We come,here from Chattanooga Tn for New Year's. It's 9, we are using 2 small electric heaters. We have the furnace set on 70. Staying warm. We tried using electric fire place, wouldn't get warm enough. Now if I could figure out why the water hose freezes, with heat tape on it.��. If you put water in fresh water tank will it freeze also? Thanks