Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Slideout in winter?

Hello all. Just purchased a new 2017 Zinger 25RB. Will be storing it at a provincial park (on a campsite) over the winter and heading up once a month or so to spend a night. We will have 30 amp electric service to run an electric stove as well as the propane furnace. The unit is winterized, so we will use the campground washroom and shower facilities.

My question is about the slide out; I understand I should pull it in for the 3-4 weeks when the trailer will be empty (and unheated), but is there anything I should do to protect the slide when it is out? I am concerned about condensation/dripping water if I pull in the slideout when it is raining or snowing. I was thinking about cutting a piece of 1" extruded insulation panel to fit the roof and attaching it with velcro to keep it in place. My thought is I could remove it while powering in the slide. It would also add a little insulation to the roof of the slide.

I should mention we are in Ontario, on Lake Huron, and will be expecting temperatures down to -20F or so, plus significant snowfall.

Thanks in advance for your sage advice!
theflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:49 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

If you are going to open and close the slide in the winter be very careful. Make sure you heat up the inside of your unit before you move the slide. The rubber gasket if not heated up, can crack/break. The next time you have heavy rain, it will be inside your trailer. I was taught that back when I was looking at new trailers and it was raining out and water was pouring into one we went into look at. The Sales manager was (moderator edit) because someone failed to do that....
Old 10-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

That makes sense. So should I leave the slide out? I was thinking it would be more rodent-resistant when closed, and I am also concerned about piles of snow on the slide out roof.

It's our first real trailer after 9 years with a popup and I don't want to destroy it within 6 months of ownership!

Thanks again!

Blake

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2017, 06:02 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

You don't want to leave them open. I once did for several years and water somehow got into the bottom of each slide, swelling and rotting the plywood on the underside, popping the aluminum sheet free from the bottom. Plus, there would also potentially be room for dust and vermin to enter. Might not hurt the mechanism but it certainly wouldn't do it any good.

I'd run the heat long enough to warm the interior parts and maybe even run a soft stick under some or all of the seals to be sure they aren't still frozen to the exterior. After you've done this a few times, you'll know exactly how to do it most efficiently.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks, that's a good idea. The floor vents for the furnace are partially under the slide when it is in, so it should heat up pretty quick.

Lots of good info here!

Old 10-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I know people who have done winter camping and found it best to go to a hotel........ One guy I know who had an Artic Fox which is super insulated left his slide in, closed the bedroom door and slept on the couch. He left his heat seat at 50 because of how long it would take to get the trailer up to mid 60's in cold weather. That's in NH. I'm not a big outdoor winter enthusiast so it just doesn't sound appealing to me. Good luck though.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I'd move south....... just kidding of course. I've lived in So Cal, New Orleans and Austin, Tx, never have had to deal with that kind of cold weather.....a challenge, for sure.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtx View Post
I'd move south....... just kidding of course. I've lived in So Cal, New Orleans and Austin, Tx, never have had to deal with that kind of cold weather.....a challenge, for sure.
So we just got back from a couple of nights at the trailer. Was 35F when we arrived. Turned on both electric fireplace and propane furnace, and had it up to 65F within about 25 mins. Using just the fireplace and a second electric heater we kept it at 67 during the day with no furnace at all. Much better than we anticipated! So peaceful and quiet. Thinking of New Year's eve now!

Old 11-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflake View Post
So we just got back from a couple of nights at the trailer. Was 35F when we arrived. Turned on both electric fireplace and propane furnace, and had it up to 65F within about 25 mins. Using just the fireplace and a second electric heater we kept it at 67 during the day with no furnace at all. Much better than we anticipated! So peaceful and quiet. Thinking of New Year's eve now!

I recently acquired my travel trailer and I've been very impressed with the fireplace. It alone can really take the chill off and coupled with an infrared electric heater the camper stays toasty. Granted we've not had crazy cold here in east TN yet but dropping down to 28 this combo is perfect, no furnace needed. We may go on a few 3 night winter trips to state parks and I imagine even in lower 20s the furnace will not be kicking on very often.

Here's the heater we are using and I highly recommend for a trailer this size:

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Infrared-H...FWMNQSAQAFH9Q2
Old 11-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovepipe View Post
I recently acquired my travel trailer and I've been very impressed with the fireplace. It alone can really take the chill off and coupled with an infrared electric heater the camper stays toasty. Granted we've not had crazy cold here in east TN yet but dropping down to 28 this combo is perfect, no furnace needed. We may go on a few 3 night winter trips to state parks and I imagine even in lower 20s the furnace will not be kicking on very often.

Here's the heater we are using and I highly recommend for a trailer this size:

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Infrared-H...FWMNQSAQAFH9Q2
Checked out the heater but was excited to see the overheating fire prevention plug offered with it. I had a factory installed fireplace burn up years ago and last year, a cheap electric heater went up in flames right before my eyes. I'm getting one!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We LOVE winter camping - Have a trip planned to Memphis first of Dec and over New years in northeast Texas....
I know - our 'winters' are usually like some of your spring time type camping

But we have been in the snow and it is a quiet you can't believe !
we always use the furnace though to ensure the basement does not freeze as I had a previous 5'er freeze, not pretty and not cheap repairs!

We don't rough it, so also have a pirit heated water supply hose and when in storage and not winterized, set the furnaces on 45, place 200 watt electric heaters in basement wet bay, etc.. plugged into these --> https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...+weather+plugs
Old 11-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #12
Site Team

I haven't seen these before.
Thanks for putting them up John.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Here a couple of picture's from last march at Macgregor Point. We got 6" of snow overnight and I didn't clean the roof off the next day. It got down to -15 with a -20 windchill. The escaping heat from the trailer melted a layer of snow that then turned to ice.
I had an awfull time removing the ice layer from the slide roof to get it closed after 5 days. I was getting concerned as we had to leave the site for the next brave camper.
It was a great experience overall, but the better half said never again. We were toasty warm with furnace. It worked really well. Lot's of snowshoeing and dog walking and we even cooked breakfast on the fire.
I would not think you should leave the slide open when you leave for the reason's already mentioned.
Have a great winter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170311_082800.jpg (263.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20170311_090011.jpg (340.1 KB, 14 views)
hippy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Awesome pictures!
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Last spring we had an unexpected overnight snowfall (six inches). Ours wasn't as bad as hippy45's, but it was still a big fat mess.

Cleaning the snow off the slides was pretty impossible. We did our best, but didn't get all of it before we had to clear out of camp and hit the road. We had to clean up a lot of water from the melted snow once we got down to lower elevations.

The snow on the bedroom slide melted all over my wife's side of the bed. She had to sleep in the rear bunk that night. (My side of the bed was still dry and comfy!)

Slide toppers would have prevented this, but I don't know if I can go through all that expense just for the rare snowfall. (We seem to get snow in camp every other year, on average.) Most of the time we boondock, so I don't mind just staying in camp another day until the white stuff melts away.

Next time this happens, I will raise or drop the nose of the trailer to try to get it to run off while the slides are still out.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:13 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflake View Post

We are camping, in Gatlinburg Tn, right now. We come,here from Chattanooga Tn for New Year's. It's 9°, we are using 2 small electric heaters. We have the furnace set on 70. Staying warm. We tried using electric fire place, wouldn't get warm enough. Now if I could figure out why the water hose freezes, with heat tape on it.��. If you put water in fresh water tank will it freeze also? Thanks