Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 04:00 AM   #1
New Camper

Unhappy Slow shower drain

I have a 1999 Crossroads 32' 5th wheel. after many attempts at clearing the shower drain I have failed to solve the problem. Is there a proven way to keep this drain running well? I have thoroughly cleaned out all debris from the drain area, removed the top and rubber gasket and cleaned...used a few cleaning products to no avail. I am wondering if there is a problem with the vent. How would I go about checking this?
Chaz118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

There are a couple of things you can try. I doubt it's a vent issue but to check, you can place a garden hose in the the vent and turn on the water to a fast trickle. Then listen and see if you can hear the water running into the black tank. You probably have a slow clog in the drain from the shower. You an buy/rent small snakes that go on a drill motor or hand crank and snake the drain for a hair clog. You can also try covering the drain with a towel and fill the shower to 4-6" of water and use a good accordion plunger ($10.00 at ACE) and try plunging the clog.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
Gone Traveling

If it is actually draining into the black tank it may have a wad of TP clogging it in the tank. I would check the roof vent, the assembly folks are not the sharpest pencils in the drawer (& they don't care) & may have the vent cover touching the top of the vent pipe.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If it is actually draining into the black tank it may have a wad of TP clogging it in the tank. I would check the roof vent, the assembly folks are not the sharpest pencils in the drawer (& they don't care) & may have the vent cover touching the top of the vent pipe.
OP never said black tank. I think Stan just mistakenly said black when he meant gray. That's my guess.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
OP never said black tank. I think Stan just mistakenly said black when he meant gray. That's my guess.
I'm not familiar with his model rv & there are some that 1 or more of the sinks/shower/grey items run into the black tank. Just making suggestions trying to help.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
I'm not familiar with his model rv & there are some that 1 or more of the sinks/shower/grey items run into the black tank. Just making suggestions trying to help.
I thought of that, too. You're right that some showers go into the black tank. But I just wanted to clarify, in case somebody took this thread down the wrong path.
Dalzell SC
Old 07-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Your all correct. I meant to say Grey tank. Tried to edit my post but the edit button is missing. Sorry for any confusion.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Have you tried removing the trap under the shower. Have had hair build up there and cause the same problem
Old 07-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

We have one of these in each of our home bathrooms, and it would be the FIRST thing I would try if I had a slow drain. It pulls out the hair in the trap like you wouldn't believe! https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cobra-Plast...tick/999908745
Dalzell SC
Old 07-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Thanks Marty
I will have to try one next time
Old 07-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Slow shower drain.

Hey this may help. May sound crazy, but several weeks ago I had the same slow shower drain. All else worked fine, toilet, bathroom sink, kitchen sink?? I said what gives? Thinking hair in trap, clogged trap. Any number of things. Boiled hottest water, let it stand, pumped the plunger till my hands ached, and it simply bubbled back at me. Was about to drop the enclosed belly when I realized the problem. I was parked in my driveway, attached to TV getting ready for a trip. Duh! Realized I was way out of level front to rear, severe angle of driveway and shower fully aft in design, meant it could never drain.
Try it, simple glad I didn't drop the belly. Leveled TT and shower empty!
Just a stab I the dark, good luck!
1995 Ram 1500 4x4 5.4 Gasser/Hunt Truck (cherry)
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
There are a couple of things you can try. I doubt it's a vent issue but to check, you can place a garden hose in the the vent and turn on the water to a fast trickle. Then listen and see if you can hear the water running into the black tank. You probably have a slow clog in the drain from the shower. You an buy/rent small snakes that go on a drill motor or hand crank and snake the drain for a hair clog. You can also try covering the drain with a towel and fill the shower to 4-6" of water and use a good accordion plunger ($10.00 at ACE) and try plunging the clog.
My biggest problem in trying to clean the drain is that the stopper does not come out. I can remove the cap and large rubber washer that is used to plug the hole, but what remains is a plastic cylinder with what looks like a brass center with a slotted top. I have tried to remove this with a large slotted screw driver, buts its not turning. I have used a slim knife blade to clean out the circular slots around this cylinder, which does allow water to flow better...but clogs up again right away. If I could only get this drain hole open I'm sure I could clean out the 20 years of hair etc that has built up. Perhaps there is a Drano type product I could use? An RV mechanic told me about using a bubbly product used to clean your false teeth, but this hasn't helped. Thoughts?
Old 07-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Maybe this tool would work. Harbor Freight has them also.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BrassCraf...&wl13=&veh=sem
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #14
Site Team

Maybe this type of drain cleaner would work. https://www.liquidplumr.com/products...-clog-fighter/

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Maybe this type of drain cleaner would work. https://www.liquidplumr.com/products...-clog-fighter/
I have been using this stuff in the shower/tub at home for a couple years now. It seems to be doing what it's suppose to.
I would think you will have to get the drain line on the trailer cleaned out first before trying the liquid plumber.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
Maybe this tool would work. Harbor Freight has them also.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BrassCraf...&wl13=&veh=sem
This is a good idea..I will try it. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #17
Gone Traveling

Quote:
I would be very hesitant to use any type of household drain cleaner, what will it do to a plastic tank & rubber seals in the drain valve, you may cause more problems than just a slow drain.. Before I used a drain cleaner I'd try running a water hose in there to try & blast what ever on down.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:

Safe for

All septic systems and pipes, including PVC, plastic, copper and old pipes.

Read more at https://www.liquidplumr.com/products...VTAowA6G4Ml.99
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #19
Site Team

Like Lloyd said, pretty safe stuff. It comes in a plastic container. Doubt that they use rubber seals or gasket, most likely a elastomeric PVC compound.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #20
New Camper

Quote:
I would be very hesitant to use any type of household drain cleaner, what will it do to a plastic tank & rubber seals in the drain valve, you may cause more problems than just a slow drain.. Before I used a drain cleaner I'd try running a water hose in there to try & blast what ever on down.
Thanks for your good advice. I have been cautioned many times about using household plumbing products in an RV. Actually I managed to wiggle a wire hanger down and around and brought up a bunch of " stuff". The drain runs fine now. I believe I will get one of those flat plastic sticks with the burrs on the side and just keep up with the cleaning.

Tags
shower drain