Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Need some pointers please......I have a very small drip-type leak around my sky-lite. The drip of course falls into my bathtub so other than any wet-ness in the roof area, I feel fairly confident that my damage at this point is zero.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

After examining the sky-lite from the roof...I noticed a couple small cracks in the actual sky-lite material. As a first attempt to correct this problem, I though I would caulk the cracks and see it this stops the leak. We will be using our rig for 8 more nights during the Christmas/New Year break.

I researched the products at Camping World and found 3 that I though would be the best.....but wanted advice from the experts first.

This caulk will actually be applied to the plastic dome lite.

Should I use:

Dicor Non-Sag Sealant - http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/dicor-non-sag-lap-sealant/6748

Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant - http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/dicor-self-leveling-lap-sealant/5737

Proflex RV Flexible Sealant - http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/proflex-rv-flexible-sealant/3245

Or something else??????

Thanks

Let's go camping!!!

Terry, Eileen and the twins.
2006 CrossRoads Cruiser - CF29BT
2005 Ford PSD Crew Cab SD
Houston, Texas
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would make sure you seal the cracks as soon as you can. I use the self leveling stuff and make sure I take a couple of tubes each time I inspect and before cleaning the roof. I have noticed the cracks are around the skylite area maybe it flex's more in that area. I lay a good amount down and use a acid brush to spread it around. I also make sure I get some in the cracks to make sure it is all filled.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

repair ASAP! Since you said the cracks were in the skylite itself I would use a good flexible plastic glue or epoxy or change out the skylight. Walmart has a glue that is called platic welder in the paint section.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I have been very pleased with the Dicor products (although I haven't had to seal my skylight withit). Don't know much about the Proflex. One thing to be careful about is, if you spread it out and it gets onto the rubber roof material, make sure it is a product that is safe for the roof.I've been told that somecaulks will actually cause the rubber roof material to break down and disintegrate. Since the two Dicor products you have mentioned are for the roof, they should be fine. Don't know about the other one though.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

If the cracks are in the plastic itself and the lap caulk around the skylite it self looks tight,I would use some glass sealant and like you said cover the crack with it and see if that stopsthe leakage.The glass sealant would last a while,but when the weather was good this Spring,I would replace the whole sky lite.That is where you would need the self level caulk.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I had a sky-lite that cracked on my old 5er. I thought I would have to replace the entire thing but my local rv dealer suggested I just replace the "lens" itself since the rest of the frame and mechanism were both fine. He had a variety of them in stock to fit several different manufacturers. I honestly don't remember what I did but I do remember it was pretty easy to swap out. You might also cover the cracks in the lens with eternabond.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

My skylight was leaking into the tub also. Mine happened to be the putty like sealant that was used on the outer edges of the skylight. I removed my skylight from the inside, it's a 2 peice deal, you should be able to remove the inside peice to inspect for water damage and leave the outside (top) peice in place. Just to be safe I would remove the inside peice and let it dry out. If the insulation is wet mold will grow there. I used ProGuard liquid rubber to seal everything. It's a 2 part liquid that sets up after it's mixed and it has done a fabulous job. But if the crack is in the actual skylight you wouldn't want to use it. I would think any clear sealant that bonds to plastic would work. Just make sure of the tempts it is good for in case you might be camping in cold weather.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote