Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Having a problem with the smoke detector constantly tripping when we run the heat and/or the gas cook top. We ran the system for a long time to burn off any dust, etc. but the smoke detector still goes off. So now we are using an electric heater. I am considering replacing it with a regular home smoke detector and moving it forward away from the heater and cooktop in our Slingshot 21FD. Any thoughts on this?

gregoja11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

If you do replace it, consider a combination smoke/carbon monoxide detector. I have one on my boat and will be putting one in the 5er asap. It works great, a synthesized female voice actually tells you what the problem is...such as "warning, fire! fire! fire!, warning, fire! fire! fire!" or "warning, carbon monoxide! warning carbon monoxide! warning carbon monoxide!" Mine does not have a number indicator to show how much carbon monoxide it is detecting. That would be a nice feature if you can find one.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Modern "smoke" detectors also are activated by heat, not just smoke.

If this is the unit on the ceiling or high up on a wall, you may have a defective unit. Try moving it to a different location to see if that makes a difference. If not, replace it.

If it is the unit that is low in the camper that is activating, that is a LP gas detector. If that is what is going off, shut off all the gas and seek a qualified service tech. That could kill you.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Good point, the heat may be contributing to the problem. The smoke detector is installed on the ceiling, directly above the furnace. I'm going to move it forward over the table and away from the furnace/cook top to see if that helps. Thank you.

gregoja11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Mine did that the first timeI ran it . But I have a seperate smoke and CO2. It definately was the smoke, you could taste it so strong. I opened the door and turned on the fan .It cleared up after about five minutes though.

LT22BH EQ2 Tekonsha Prodigy P2

Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
New Camper

I too have this problem. What I'm going to try, in fact just purchased this morning at Wallyworld, is a shower cap. 15 for $1.14. I saw this on another forum.
Regards

kscaddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
New Camper

Hi,

if you want to replace it, then you have to get some idea that which one you will choose.because I think there are two main types of smoke detectors: ionization detectors and

photoelectric detectors. A smoke alarm uses one or both methods,

sometimes plus a heat detector, to warn of a fire. The devices may be