Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Spots On Roof

I have found some spots on my EPDM roof that has me concerned. I have tried washing the roof with Dawn Dish Detergent several times and has not completely removed the spots. In doing some research, I have found on Dicor's website that they recommend washing the roof 4 times a year and I have only been washing it once a year. I have attached the pictures and was wondering if anyone else has have the spots appear on their roof and were they able to get them removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170304_122518308.jpg (108.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170304_153938410_HDR.jpg (149.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I wash my roof probably 4 times a summer and also keep it in an enclosed building when not in use and I still get some spots and stains on the roof that won't come clean.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Where does your trailer set when it's not being used?
Just wondering if you are parking under a tree/trees that are dripping sap on the roof. Or if the area you are in has a lot of air borne particles.
That doesn't look normal to me.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I'm in SC also, and I get spots like that. After washing with Spic and Span, they lighten, but don't wash out. Don't damage your roof. After the wash, they tend to fade away. Then the cycle continues.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I get those all the time and believe they are a type of mildew or fungus. I clean it with Spic - n Span in the Spring. Helps a lot but doesn't completely make them go away. I stopped worrying about them.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Where does your trailer set when it's not being used?
Just wondering if you are parking under a tree/trees that are dripping sap on the roof. Or if the area you are in has a lot of air borne particles.
That doesn't look normal to me.
It sits outside but not directly under any trees but I do have some pines near. Also we are out in the suburbs not near any large city.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Those look like mildew spots. Unfortunately those of us who live in high humidity areas and store our trailers outside have this problem. They should not do any harm to the roof of the trailer. Just glad that we can't see them from the ground.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Spots be gone!

Hello Camp Wilson, I had the same spots on my CR 2003 TT, 2004 CR 5th wheel and our CR 2011 I was also concerned but really didn't anything back with all my questions from the Manufacture, I work for a test lab and we conduct environmental tests all the time. I went to my local RV repair shop and got some sample of EPDM roof materials and ran a few tests myself over a six month period. In the data I had mixed results in some of the samples, some had spots within a few weeks and some didn't have much if any all with same material sample. I have some in a long term OZONE and UV ongoing and will conduct tensile testing on the base materiel for a base line and then test the OZONE and UV samples and compare results, I will give up date in early May, Spots are ugly but have seen much some really bad roofs on other campers and couldn’t confirm any roof leak or related problems due the black spots. PS All my campers were stored in side in the winter,
Thanks
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

LeBo,
This sounds very interesting and I am interested in your results. Please keep us updated with your results.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

LeBo did you ever get any more information with the environmental test you were doing?
Camp Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Those look like mold/mildew spots to me.

Keep in mind, your roof (our roofs) are epdm rubber. EPDM is put on building roofs all the time. Nobody goes up and washes those. If you want to wash your roof 4 times a year, it doesn't bother me a bit. Keep in mind, it is to make it look better. Not perform better.

Just my opinion as someone who has installed several rubber roofs and someone who has never washed one.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post

If you want to wash your roof 4 times a year, it doesn't bother me a bit. Keep in mind, it is to make it look better. Not perform better.
That is exactly why I wash my roof--it makes it look better, and I can take pride in it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:06 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
That is exactly why I wash my roof--it makes it look better, and I can take pride in it.
I agree with you 100%. They do look so much better. My wife makes fun of me for washing the outside. I think it just makes it look so much better. She thinks I am wasting my time, because the campground has gravel roads and it gets dirty quick.