Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

First day of my month long vacation and I had a blowout before I can get out of Fl. The tires were made 2213. I've put very few miles on them and I can't believe it blew out. I'm searching tires right now because tomorrow morning I need to get tires ASAP! I'm going to replace all 4, can't take a chance when we're driving over 6000 miles. Any suggestions on a brand to go with? My friend just bought Carlisles 2 days ago. I need to research tires and find a place in the morning to swap them out, so we can get back on the road.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

Bert, I've had good luck with Goodyear Marathons, even those that were made in China.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

I. Going to check those out. I was just reading about Carlisle radial trail RH tire. Looks impressive.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

I've also had good luck with Marathons and Walmart carries them.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #25
Site Team

Check out Firestone Transforce.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:56 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

It looks like I'm going with Carlisle Radial Trail RH tire. My existing tires are D rated and I'm going with 10 ply E rated. It seems like the best I can get in the area.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #27
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
It looks like I'm going with Carlisle Radial Trail RH tire. My existing tires are D rated and I'm going with 10 ply E rated. It seems like the best I can get in the area.
Bert, I hate that for you. When I was researching awhile back the Carlisle did not get good reviews. Walmarts are everywhere and the Goodyear Marathons got better reviews. The Maxxis seem to get the best reviews but of course were more expensive and most places around here had to order them. Good luck in your travels.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #28
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrand View Post
Well, I just bought 4 new Maxxis 8008 and will see how they hold up.
This is what we just bought. Our tire shop, with whom we have done business for years, made the recommendation.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

Hate to hear that Bert !
Our Colorado vacation was marred by rv issues, but still was a great trip !

fyi - I had two blowouts on my 5'ers with Marathons...
but the good thing is that googyear will pay for the damage they do when they blow
Old 08-13-2016, 06:01 AM   #30
Seasonal Camper

As the OP indicated, barring truly trashy tires, the problem is having tires in the weight range, speed range, and age range to be fully safe and functional. I had 125 psi Goodyear ST tires on my previous heavy 5th wheel because I replaced the no name Chinese 80 psi tires and rims after a really miserable experience with them on the road. Never had a problem with the new ST's because they were overkill. I chose them on the fly because they came standard on the 5er before that one with no problems.

I researched St vs LT heavily on line and found a lot of opinion and ignorance with a few nuggets of wisdom, and ultimately decided margin of error on weight and speed was the key. Its easier on the tire to drive 65 if its rated 75 and to put 3000 lbs weight on it if it is rated at 4000.

On my current light 5er, I made the dealer put LT tires and suitable rims on it before I took it off the lot. I spoke to, and eventually bought from, an on line seller who ran trailers as well as sold tires and who I felt was knowledgeable with actual experience. He said they used nothing but LT tires and had actually tested both ST and LT tires with a 50% overload, finding that the LT never failed but the ST failed quickly. He said that LT tires have a much higher safety factor because they are made for carrying people rather than stuff. Therefore, although not recommended, you can abuse them more than ST tires.

I would say the telling point is that so many 5ers now come with LT tires. I doubt they would spend the money or the lawyers would allow them to do it if they weren't proven to be at least as good as ST tires. They are still going to be marginal on the weight range.

I am a firm believer in overkill. I prefer LT tires as discussed above, but think decent quality ST tires that are overrated for the application would be fine. I do think LT tires hold up better as far as age deterioration.

In regards to Chinese manufacturing, IMHO and regardless of the political/moral issues, if an American company contracts with a Chinese factory and holds their feet to the fire on quality control, you will have no problem with the product. If a Chinese company is direct marketing based on low price, look out. Those tires probably have rice straw cords instead of polyester.

I am sure the discussion will continue.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #31
Weekend Camper

lt vs st tires

Finally pulled the plug and bought new Maxxix st tires, 205R15's. Aired to 65#. Took our first trip of 400 miles and couldn't believe the difference in towing. I went with St's because out TT has what is called wide stance axles and was afraid what with the way the tires flexing on turns and backing I was afraid Lt's wouldn't hold up. So far I am impressed.
2001 ford excursion 7.3 diesel
Rick G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:15 AM   #32
Weekend Camper

I replaced a tripple axel 5th wheel tires with Mitchlin xp ribs ... What a difference in towing. Expensive and over kill but feel a lot safer... American tires recomended and I bought the insurance. This should last me until I sell a 2010 rig.
Randy68 is offline   Reply With Quote