Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

ST vs LT Tires

FYI...A good article from Mark Polk. RV Education 101.

Let me begin by saying when it comes to the type of tires to use on a travel trailer or 5th wheel trailer I think there is a lack of information and understanding on the topic. If you head over to the RV forums and type in “ST vs. LT tires” be prepared for a good deal of debate and varying opinions. I can quite honestly say that regardless of how well this article explains the information lots of folks will continue to embrace their original opinions. It’s one of those controversial subjects like gas vs. diesel. My goal with this article is to attempt to clear up some of the confusion on this topic so RV consumers can make an educated buying decision.
Before going any further let’s take a look at what the ST and LT tire designations actually mean.
ST tire designation: ST stands for Special Trailer tire. ST tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not designed for the load or traction requirements of a drive or steering axle. ST tires have strengthened sidewalls to prevent the tire from rolling under the rim in turns and when cornering. All ST tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph. ST tires feature materials and construction designed to meet the higher load requirements and demands trailer towing presents.
Tim Fry, senior development engineer with Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company stated, “The major difference is reflected in the polyester cords used in ST tires. These cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable P or LT tire. Typically, the steel wire also has a larger diameter or greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements. Because of the heavier construction for an equal volume of air space, an ST tire is designated to carry more load than a P or LT tire.”
LT tire designation: LT stands for Light Truck tire. One definition at www.tiresafety.com defines an LT tire as any tire line or size which would typically be applied on a light truck (SUV, pickup, van). As such it could be an LT-metric tire for use on a one-ton truck or a P-metric ‘light truck’ size of a typical tire used on an SUV. Light trucks (pickups) and SUVs differ from standard passenger cars in their overall strength, load carrying capacity, center of gravity, and driveline complexity. For this reason, the tire options for light trucks and SUVs are often more complex than passenger cars. Factors such as load range, ply rating and sizes vary greatly from those of passenger car applications.
These are just definitions to provide a basic understanding of what the ST and LT tire designations mean. Please hold back from any debate until you read the rest of the article. Now let’s dig a little deeper.

If you do visit some of the RV forums, and/or research the topic on the internet you will quickly surmise much of the debate concerning ST vs. LT tires centers around some of the following issues and concerns:
  • Chinese manufactured ST tires
  • ST tire blowouts on trailers
  • ST tire speed ratings
  • ST tire life expectancy
At this point it probably makes sense to address each of these concerns separately.
Chinese Manufactured ST Tires:
I would like to begin by saying I do not like the issues U.S. manufacturers are confronted with when it comes to dealing with Chinese made goods. The Chinese continue to devalue their currency, resulting in unfair trade practices, and in my opinion our government lacks in taking measures to prevent this from happening. Unfortunately RV manufacturers are extremely cost conscious and more often than not opt to use less expensive products in manufacturing units.
Several years ago it was discovered that numerous brands of Chinese manufactured LT and ST tires had defects that resulted in premature tire failure. RV owners towing travel trailers and 5th wheel trailers were experiencing excessive tire blowouts and other tire failures long before the tire’s life expectancy was reached.
It’s too bad, but lots of reputable U.S. tire manufacturers are producing tires in China to lower costs and remain competitive in the marketplace. But, these U.S. brand tires are built with the same quality and specifications a tire manufactured in the U.S. is built to. The defective Chinese tire fiasco, from say 2005 to 2008, left a bad taste with RV owners and many resorted to replacing their ST tires with LT tires. Despite my feeling towards all things Chinese, it seems that U.S. brand tires manufactured in China since 2010 have been fine. This does not however apply to any of cheap priced Chinese brand ST tires being exported to the U.S.
ST Tire Blowouts:
When I talk about ST tire blowouts I am not referring to what we just discussed referencing the defective Chinese tires. In a nutshell most trailer tire blowouts are not a result of ‘bad or inferior’ tires, they are a result of one or more of the following conditions.
  • Overloaded tires. Every tire manufactured has a load rating based on the tire’s inflation pressure. A tire’s maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to support at the inflated pressure. ST tires have some of the highest load ratings. This is one of the reasons they are designated for use on trailers. Truck and automobile tires do not have to withstand the weight and stress that is put on trailer tires. The only way to know if a tire is overloaded is to weigh the trailer by individual wheel position. It is quite possible to weigh an axle and be within the axle weight rating, but when the tire positions on each axle end are weighed separately a tire rating can be overloaded.
  • Over & under-inflated tires. Another culprit for tire blowouts is over & under-inflated tires. Failure to maintain the correct tire pressure for the load can result in fast tread wear, uneven wear and poor handling which can all lead to tire failure. Remember, the load rating for a tire is only accurate if the tire is properly inflated for the load. Under-inflated tires cause extreme heat buildup that leads to tire failure. Tire manufacturers publish tire load and inflation tables with information on the correct tire inflation pressure for the load. A big reason tires fail is they are not properly inflated for the load. The appearance of the tire can look normal on the outside, but the internal damage is not visible. Tires with internal damage caused by under- inflation can fail catastrophically without warning. One thought is to inflate the tires to the maximum ‘cold’ pressure found on the tires sidewall if you don’t know the exact load on the tires, or the exact weight of the trailer. This should not however serve as an excuse to not weigh the trailer.
  • Improper weight distribution. When a manufacturer builds an RV weight distribution is critical. The weight from front- to-back and side-to-side must be carefully considered to avoid having too much tongue weight, too little tongue weight and/or too much weight placed on the trailer’s tires. The manufacturer did its job distributing the weight when the unit was built, now the RV owner must do their job by properly distributing any weight added to the trailer. Some tire overload conditions can be corrected by distributing the weight in the RV, but you still need to weigh the RV by individual wheel position to make sure there is not an overload condition.
ST Tire Speed Ratings:
All ST tires are rated for a maximum speed of 65mph. When you travel at speeds higher than a tire is rated for it will eventually fail. The heat that builds up in the tire results in fatigue and tire failure.
Here is some additional information taken from a Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Product Service Bulletin, PSB #2011-13.
This bulletin provides important information to help your customers obtain the best performance from “Special Trailer” tires. Please review the following important points with your trailer tire customers. Special Trailer (“ST”) Tires: Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires. Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions. Based on these industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 km/h and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.
  • Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
  • Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
  • If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).
  • The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.
ST Tire Life Expectancy:
It is quite possible for a tire to wear from the inside out. What this means is you cannot see the tire’s internal wear and fatigue and without warning you have a blowout when you least expect it. I mentioned a moment ago that under-inflated tires cause excessive heat resulting in tire failure. The same is true of an over-inflated tire when it comes in contact with pot holes, curbs and other common obstacles found on and alongside the highway. It is totally unrealistic for RV owners to expect ST trailer tires to last as long as P or LT tires do. ST tires are subjected to more weight, more sidewall stress and more user related tire issues, so it’s only natural they won’t perform as long as automobile tires.
If you think about it, with the exception of defective tires, all of these factors that increase the chance of tire blowouts are within the RV owner’s control. If you take the steps required to avoid these tire related problems it is quite likely you will not experience abnormal tire blowouts on your trailer.
LT vs. ST Tires:
I mentioned earlier that lots of trailer owners made the decision to switch from ST tires to LT tires for use on their travel trailer or 5th wheel trailer. Two popular and well built LT tires that come up in discussions as replacement tires for ST tires are Goodyear G614 235/85R16 and Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E tires. If you make the decision to switch to LT tires I caution you to make absolutely sure the tire you choose meets the application criteria required for use on your travel trailer or 5th wheel trailer.
Light Truck tires are not always the same size, and do not always have the same load carrying capacity as ST tires. Depending on your trailer’s axle weight rating the tire load capacity might be 3420# @ 80 psi for example. The Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E tire load capacity is 3,042# @ 80 psi. If you switch to LT tires for trailer applications the tire inflation pressure and/or the size of the tires would need to be capable of matching the load capacities of the trailer. If the size of the tire is increased to compensate for load capacities there needs to be sufficient clearance for the larger tires. Cost can be prohibitive too when you not only consider purchasing new tires but larger wheels for the tires to go on.
There are other considerations as well. One is that ST tires are designed for a limited amount of rolling resistance, whereas LT tire construction must address the tire’s traction attributes which can increase the rolling resistance. Tires have other ratings too, like Mud & Snow, Summer Tire, All Season etc. For example, Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E tires are rated as highway summer tires, meaning they won’t perform as well in colder winter climates.
It is my general consensus that brand name ST tires matched for the application and properly inflated, maintained and not overloaded are the right tire for the job. I personally only use Michelin tires on my automobiles and motorhome, but the tires are designed for the application. My point is if you are thinking about making the switch from ST to LT tires for use on your trailer don’t get caught up in marketing propaganda; look at the engineering and tire application facts before spending your money on the wrong tire for the job.
Happy RV Learning,
Mark Polk
www.rveducation101.com

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Tim, let me be the first to thank you for the post. I've been debating on whether or not to go to LT tires and thanks for your hard work in research, I've decided to stay with ST tires. Thank you very much
2001 ford excursion 7.3 diesel
Rick G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

What is not mentioned in the article is the fact that some trailers now come factory equipped with LT tires as standard. A few yrs ago, on one of our projects, I checked the yellow sticker on every TT and fiver at the project site. And the results were evenly split, 1/3 of the stickers specified ST tires, 1/3 specified LT tires and 1/3 didn't specify either type. More significant was that it was generally the newer, heavier fifth wheels that specified LTs, like Mobile Suites, etc. Older, lighter fifth wheels and TTs were more likely to specify STs.

IMO, STs only have a higher load capacity because they are speed limited to 65 mph and not due to significant construction differences. Besides, STs do not really have that much more load capacity compared to similar sized LTs. If they did, heavy fivers like MS couldn't use LTs without adding more axles. For the 10 yrs I used a 2500HD, the rear LTs on that truck operated at a higher percentage of their load capacity than the STs did on my Cruiser. Yet only the STs had problems.

It is difficult to find stories of LT tires failing on tow vehicles or trailers. I recently helped a new full timer realize he was carrying in excess of 7k lbs on LT tires rated for 6k lbs, these tires had 35k miles on them and never failed. Try overloading ST tires by 500+ lbs each and see how long they survive.

Finally, there is the age thing, if tires can rot from the inside, why would that be a problem limited to just ST tires and they must be replaced in 3-5 yrs? The LT tires on my previous truck were over 7 yrs old when I finally replaced them, guess they didn't know it was ok to rot from the inside.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

ST Vs LT

Thanks Larry for your observation on the Lt rating. I run Firestone TransForce HT Load E and have almost 20,000 miles with no problems.
Thanks
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I posted this as it is a very active topic. I too will be looking for tires soon. I currently have ST205/75R15 Mastertrack Powertowing tires that came with the TT. They are load range C. Mounted on series 06 aluminum rims. Looking at the DOT designation they say DOT 831B 2612. The last four tells me they were made the 26th week of 2012. That makes them almost 3 yrs old already. To look at them they look fine. They are max PSI rated at 50. I have kept them at that the entire time. We have several little trips and one trip alone at 12-1500 miles. I am torn whether to go with them this season or put on new rubber.

I only have about 2 inches clearance between top of tire and wheel well. I really don't want to step up in tire size. What have you found and using that fit a 15 inch rim?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Site Team

From the Tire Rack website:
Quote:
Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.
Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.
But ST vs LT will always be a popcorn thread.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks a bunch folks. I'm back to square one.
2001 ford excursion 7.3 diesel
Rick G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:25 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Thanks, Tim D.
For you folks who tow 3 axle 5ers, you can see for yourselves the pressure on the trailer tire sidewalls in situations where you make sharp turns. The distortion of the tire on the rim is so bad, I try not to look, anymore. ST tires ability to resist rolling off the rim in these situations is important...

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:05 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Pinkard View Post
Thanks, Tim D.
For you folks who tow 3 axle 5ers, you can see for yourselves the pressure on the trailer tire sidewalls in situations where you make sharp turns. The distortion of the tire on the rim is so bad, I try not to look, anymore. ST tires ability to resist rolling off the rim in these situations is important...
Even with two axles! When dealer was maneuvering mine in the lot for pickup I thought they may come off the rim.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 04-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
But ST vs LT will always be a popcorn thread.
That was not the intent. There is a lot of interest in tires and confusion as well. The article does state both can be used for trailer application.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 04-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
I posted this as it is a very active topic. I too will be looking for tires soon. I currently have ST205/75R15 Mastertrack Powertowing tires that came with the TT. They are load range C. Mounted on series 06 aluminum rims. Looking at the DOT designation they say DOT 831B 2612. The last four tells me they were made the 26th week of 2012. That makes them almost 3 yrs old already. To look at them they look fine. They are max PSI rated at 50. I have kept them at that the entire time. We have several little trips and one trip alone at 12-1500 miles. I am torn whether to go with them this season or put on new rubber.

I only have about 2 inches clearance between top of tire and wheel well. I really don't want to step up in tire size. What have you found and using that fit a 15 inch rim?
I run the same size as yours, Goodyear Marathons load range D. A tire chart will show what difference there is in size.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:17 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
I run the same size as yours, Goodyear Marathons load range D. A tire chart will show what difference there is in size.
How long have you had them? Any idea where they were made?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 04-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
How long have you had them? Any idea where they were made?
I've had them about three years. All Marathons now are made in China. My thoughts were to stay with a name brand.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

I'm sure that I read this somewhere:

"I can quite honestly say that regardless of how well this article explains the information lots of folks will continue to embrace their original opinions. It’s one of those controversial subjects like gas vs. diesel."
Old 04-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #15
Site Team

One other important factor. ST tires are only rated for about 65 mph. Going over that heats the tire up and I believe that is a big reason for the blowouts.
So if your foot can't keep the rv at 65, the LT's are the way to go. Most LT tires are rated for between 106 and 112 mph.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Pinkard View Post
Thanks, Tim D.
Much of the info claims ST tires have stiffer sidewalls to minimize sway. Stiffer than what? P tires or LT tires or both? I doubt they are much different than LTs, I don't really know for sure. But if true then STs would be more important to have on a TT than on a fiver.

OTOH, if ST tires really have stiffer sidewalls, then that is actually a disadvantage when jack-knifing the trailer around since it will put more stress on the bead and wheel rim. Haven't heard any stories of LTs popping of the rims while jack-knifing a heavy fiver around at 90 degrees.

Anyway it seems to me that there are plenty of words thrown about to justify ST tires yet their performance on the whole is not that great.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Crossroads 5th wheel Tire wear

I bought a new Crossroads 5th wheel with Mastertrack Tires 225/75/15 on it.
After only 4000 miles 2 tires where badly worn on the outside, the right rear and the left front. The other 2 tires where worn even.
I needed to align the axles ($ 400) then drove home. After only 7000 miles I now need 4 new tires. 2 are bad on the outside, other 2 are worn 80%.

I have tire pressure and temperature monitor, am 1500 pound lighter than max, drove 60 MPH max,

Contacted Crossroads because of axle alignment and bad tires, will see what they offer ?

Greetings, Harold
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tire2.jpg (161.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg tire1.jpg (95.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Tires

Well, I just bought 4 new Maxxis 8008 and will see how they hold up.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrand View Post
Well, I just bought 4 new Maxxis 8008 and will see how they hold up.
I will be very interested in that as well. Please keep us posted on how well they perform.
2015 Zinger 27RL (TT #5)
Ford F350 FX4
My toy = 2004 Corvette Coupe
AmericalVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

I just replaced my Chinese bombs st tires with Mitchlin Xp ribs I purchased 7 on a 40' fifth wheel tripple axel. What a difference in pulling. Starting off from a stop sign my f350 would lug trying to get up to speed . Not anymore ,it like I,am on roller bearings now. This is only my personal exsperence.
Randy68 is offline   Reply With Quote