Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
JWN
Weekend Camper

Hi, Waiting delivery on our new Cruiser CF30ES ordered without TV. We plan on purchasing one from a local dealer and wanted to know if there is any difference between a standard HD tv and those that come from the RV dealers. I also saw that some take their TV's down and put them in the bedroom. Why? That just seems like extra work - is there too much bounce for them or is it recommended by the manufacturer?
Old 06-26-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Depending on size/weight, location in the rig, type of mount, etc, some people have had tv's fallen during travel. You need to examine your situation and decide if you want to remove the tv. Do a search on this forum as there have been lots of differing ideas posted.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

People generally either secure their TV's or take them off the wall. It's not good when they bounce around or fall I'm not aware of any specially designed TV's for RV's and doubt that manufacturers would even concider it due to the size of the market.

Trailers generally do a lot of bouncing as you will discover when after a road trip things inside the trailer are not where you left them. My 32" Aquos gets secured with bungee straps when enroute. My last trip, a short one with no extreme stops, starts or curves, resulted in one of the dinette chairs tipped over. Outside of riding in the trailer one does not really know what happens while heading down the road. TV's are not inexpensive, whatever you end up purchasing, make sure it's secure when you embark.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We have a 32" mounted in the entertainment center. It is the heaviest TV mount I have seen in an RV. Although we have a Kingston if you are getting a 2011Cruiser you may also be getting the heavy duty bracket. It also has a spring loaded lock to secure the mount from swinging out while traveling. We just finished a 3,000+ mile trip, a lot of it involving mountain swithcbacks and other things that would not be good for a TV set and we had NO problems. We never touch it in preparation for travel (no extra straps, padding, etc). We also have a 23" on the bracket hanging from the ceiling in the bedroom and it stays in one place traveling or not with No problem. The 32" is the cheapest we could buy andit works great! Edited by: calliopeguy

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Our 26" TV came with our Cruiser.The price was at least double what it would have cost in a big box store. The mount will not support the TV in transit and even has a warning from Crossroads about doing so.

We modified the mount using a very strong webbed strap and buckle fastened to the bracket stud with two strong wood screws. We place a pillow in front of the TV to cushion the screen and protect itfrom the metal fastener. After about 500 miles of towing in that configuration the TV is just fine. It really was a pain in the neck to put the TV up and take it back down.Edited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I purchased a Sanus stand, I think from Amazon, maybe Ebay...(it's the old-timers disease). A wallmount that extends and swivels and will take a larger TV then what I hung on it. I tend to over-build.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I wrap mine with modified pool noodles and strap in with one of the straps taken from recliner securing straps. Use long end to tie cabinet doors closed. We have traveled over 8000 miles thus fat with no problems. Our 16,000 lb railer also may dampen some of the movement others may have experienced.
Foam and strap comes off while camping, of course!
It is mounted on an extendable swivel mount so wifey can look up recipes from kitchen counter, using PC mounted in cabinet and wireless receiver on roof pole.

2009 CrossRoads Seville VF35RL

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:08 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I did a similar thing to stabilize my TV. I screwed a couple of eye bolts into each corner of the cabinet and attached an adjustable stretchy strap to go around the TV. My DW wedged a door stop on one side for extra stability. I added a dowel in the bottom to support the TV vertically. To top it off I mounted the controls to the wall with Velcro.

We haven't given it a good test yet but confidence is high!

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #9

Deputydog here, I purchased a CF30ES 2011 in September. I purchased a flat screen from Walmart. Mine already had the TV bracket. I think the only difference is the TV's that the RV places sell are more money. Go to Walmart. I also used the TV bracket in the bedroom and installed a small fan that I purchased at Lowes. Works great, I can raise or lower as needed. Of course I'm use to having a fan when I sleep. Deputydog
Old 10-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

We have a 32" Sharp Aquos. It's an LED/LCD which makes it lighter and more enegy efficient. It was purchased from Amazon as a discontinued model but was nowhere near as cheap a 32" as you could buy.You may find that TV's from an RV dealer will be much more expensive but also will run on 12 volt power. Our Sharp, however, draws so little power it will run off a cheap inverter when you dry camp. I like the factory TV mount in the 2011 with the spring loaded lock. We have had no trouble using only that to secure the set. I would not use anything ridgid to brace the set for travel as it will transmit vibration directly to the set. In my other camper I had had the TV vibrate loose and fall on the floor. It didn't hurt the set at all. Probably just luck. In that camper I purchsed a deluxe heavy duty mount and never again had trouble. I also used the TV locking web strips to restrain the set.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We keep ours mounted on the bracket, but we secure it with two smalladjustable cargo straps before we travel. Better safe than sorry.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
New Camper

We have the 2011 Cruiser w/tv bracket mount you described in the entertainment center. Upon mounting the 32" lcd, it just 'barely' fits the opening, but seems to not be perfectly square to the opening. Have you dealt w/that problem? Is there any adjustment to the mount? It also seems a bit wobbly. Got any ideas?

jsewan is offline   Reply With Quote