Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
New Camper

Hey Everyone
Just looking to get some advice from guys and possibly avoid a mistake. I stay in my 5th wheel cruiser during the week but 99% of the time, I am gone during the week. I am just curious know if there is something I don't know. Ex. If I leave for more than a week at a time, should I bring the slides in? Should I leave my A/C running when I am out of town? Or should I drain the hot water heater if I am gone for a week? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Beaux400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If I were doing that, I would:
Fridge - on
A/C - off (window or vent opened slightly)
Wtr Htr - off (don't drain)
Slides - left out
outside water valve - turn off.
You could also turn of the gas, but if the site loses power, at least the fridge would switch to gas if in auto mode.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks for the great ideas.

Beaux400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:35 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I've always been a believer of pulling the slides in when parked for a long time. It seems like someone told me that awhile ago. Now I'm confused after what Stan said. I'd like to hear more opinions on this subject.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #5
Site Team

I guess I go along with KennyB. If my rig is going to be setting outside, unoccupied for any length of time, (a few days) I pull the slide in. I feel there is just that much less chance of the wind getting a hold of something when I'm not around.
It does stay out when in the shed.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyB
I've always been a believer of pulling the slides in when parked for a long time. It seems like someone told me that awhile ago. Now I'm confused after what Stan said. I'd like to hear more opinions on this subject.

For a week, I don't think that it matters a whole lot if the slides are in or out. But with the slides in, the slide seals ( and slide topper) are less exposed to sun damage, so longer intervals between cleaning and treating the seals. Also, less chance of heavy rains causing a leak that goes undetected or standing water.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to mlsawmill
Make sure you turn the water off> friend of ours left for a week and not thinking left the water on and came back with a lot of water all over because a slow leak developed.

As far as the electric we leave ours in the barn with the electric on and have done that for many years with our trailer and truck camper. Just check the battery once in awhile to make sure the water doesn't get low.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Is your fridge in a slide? If so, pulling in that slide will make your fridge slightly off-level reducing cooling efficiency.

Also, never leave your awning out if you are going to be gone. Too much chance of high winds picking up.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote