Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Storage - Cost/Benefit of Indoor vs Outdoor

We bought our 2015 240BH in August of 2016 from a dealer that had taken it in as a trade. Don't know if the original owner stored it indoors or outdoors, covered or uncovered. The front decal was already cracking and fading when we bought it. We stored it outdoors, uncovered, for about 4 months, in the bright southern California sunshine and I could see the decal getting worse. So we opted to store it indoors at a facility 45 minutes to an hour away from home. the cost keeps going up, and I am now paying about $350.00/month to store it indoors

Now, we love or trailer, but at some point we have to decide when this ever rising storage cost becomes more than it is worth (or if we're already there!). I am looking into less expensive outdoor options again, and if I need to invest in a cover or not if/when I move it outdoors. There's a slight chance I can park it outside, closer to home, for less than $100/mo. More likely it will cost btwn $100 & $200 per mo.

I would appreciate your opinions, as you are all more objective than I am on this matter, I'm sure!

- Besides having the exterior protected from the sun, is there any/enough affect on system operations or resale value to justify continuing to store it indoors?

- If I move it outdoors, should I invest in a cover? Can I even put a cover on this unit? Crossroads says to not get on the roof; How can I put a cover on it if I can't get on the roof to cover up sharp objects, like the TV antenna? I know that some of you use covers and some do not. Anyone with experience in covering a unit like mine?

As always, my sincere thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts and experiences
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Wow! $350.00 a month for storage. I know things are expensive in California but that’s crazy. I was lucky when I purchased 5 acres in NC back in 1995. I first had a concert slab with a drain poured then had a 24x36 metal building installed. I think back then the whole thing cost around $15,000. I’ve stored 7 different units over the years. So yes as far as fading of the front cap I think storage or a cover is a must. So, you could still install a cover even though you can’t walk on the roof. Two people and two ladders would be the best choice. Getting it on yourself I think would be very challenging to say the least. Do you have room at home to store it with a cover. I’m sure they make great breathable covers now. I’ll let someone with that experience give their 2 cents about covers. Good luck.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:45 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I've had decent luck with covers. The current one is 4 years old and starting to get a little ragged but the 5th wheel isn't. There was at least one thread a while back about covers if you want to consider them. The main drawbacks for me are effort to install/remove and potential wind damage. (Gorilla Tape is your friend). Although not as effective as a tight building, they do a pretty good job of protecting the finish. Some say they rub spots on the finish but I have not experienced that, perhaps because mine does not get a lot of high wind. They are pretty cost effective even replacing every 5 or 6 years. That being said, a sealed building is the gold standard.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Boy, how times, and local can change things.
About 20 to 25 years ago I had a building that was big enough that every fall I rented out space for RVs and boats. I charged a buck a foot per month.
Now we have a building on the place we built that I keep the RV in. When we built it I made the mistake of only going with 12 ft sidewalls. That has stopped me from purchasing a new rig. Now days just about everything you look at is well over the 12 ft mark. Many over 13 ft. Our rig is 11 going on 12 years old, being stored inside it still looks like new. I'm finding it hard, if not down right impossible to buy a new one.
With that being said, I don't think I could bring myself to pay $350. per month for inside storage. That's almost $4000 a year! Wouldn't take to many years to match the cost of the RV.

I think you are caught between a rock and a hard space.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Same here. When I had my building installed I had a 12’ roll up door. I think it’s actually 12’ 2”. That also limits what units you can buy. Also, with my metal building I still have to use damp rid and I also have a small dehumidifier in the camper. Due to temperatures changes it will let the building sweat. But as far as protecting from the sun they are priceless.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Many thanks to you all for your responses! One correction to my original post; my monthly storage cost is $320/mo, not $350/mo. I guess I was anticipating the inevitable next rate increase! In any event, I will keep looking to see if I can find something closer to home and less expensive, and invest in a cover if I do find a place. I have found several options in the $180 to $270 range, but I'm gonna bide my time (and continue to pay $320/mo) for a while yet
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
New Camper

Hello We keep our trailer outdoors all year long and I only install cover for winter time but so far it's been 3 years and the cover looks like new, just make sure you get the better one with white roof, it's made for California heat. Travel Trailer Designer Series Tyvek® Plus Wind RV Cover
Z1 328SB is offline   Reply With Quote