Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Odd problem w/ the 12V system and wondering if there are any ideas to what the cause is. The trailer is a 2010 Zinger 26BH bought in Nov. 09. Over the past few weeks, I have found that if the trailer sits unplugged for a few days, then I have no 12V power, as if the battery is completely dead; I can't even get a reading on the battery level. This just recently started happening. It has sit for 4-5 weeks at a time w/o this happening and now just a few days and it does.

If I plug the camper into shore power for 5 seconds AND THEN UNPLUG, everything is back to normal and all of the 12V systems work, even shows full battery.

Any of you ever seen this? Any ideas as to what it might be? By the way, there is no auto battery disconnect that I can find or is shown in the manual.

Look forward to your ideas.

thanks

zenasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

After you plug in to shore power, and then un-plug, how long does the 12v system work? I would first check for bad connections/loose wires at or near the battery. Check the battery voltage at the battery to see if it goes up when plugged in. You could also take the battery out and have it load tested at the local tire/auto center.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Here's a link to similar issue not too long ago. Hope it helps.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...ID=18289#18289

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenasboy
Odd problem w/ the 12V system and wondering if there are any ideas to what the cause is. The trailer is a 2010 Zinger 26BH bought in Nov. 09. Over the past few weeks, I have found that if the trailer sits unplugged for a few days, then I have no 12V power, as if the battery is completely dead; I can't even get a reading on the battery level. This just recently started happening. It has sit for 4-5 weeks at a time w/o this happening and now just a few days and it does.

If I plug the camper into shore power for 5 seconds AND THEN UNPLUG, everything is back to normal and all of the 12V systems work, even shows full battery.

Any of you ever seen this? Any ideas as to what it might be? By the way, there is no auto battery disconnect that I can find or is shown in the manual.

Look forward to your ideas.

thanks
If you're sure the battery is dead until you "nudge" it, I would suspect a bad converter relay or something similar on the converter's main board.

Edited by: jeb
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I ended up finding that my neutral was very loose at the battery. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Make sure the battery has proper water level, some of these chargers overcook the battery.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenasboy
I ended up finding that my neutral was very loose at the battery. Thanks for the help.

I would recommend you go back and check all of the crimps on the battery wiring. I found one on my Cruiser that I was able to pull the cable out of the crimp with very little pressure. The connector appeared to be crimped but was not crimped enough. The fact you found a loose connection points to some shoddy workmanship.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

yeah....about that shoddy workmanship....it was my own. I apparently didn't tighten the wing nut enough connecting the (-) to the terminal and it broke loose. Live and learn! I'll put a wrench on it the next time instead of finger tight.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Besides the loose connection, you will have the battery discharged by the gas detector in about a week if you aren't connected to 120V power because it's hardwired to the battery. The Battery indicator will show that the battery is fully charged as soon as you connect to 120V because the indicator is connected to the 12V bus and the charger section of your converter is charging the battery.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:25 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Glad you found the problem before I had the chance to tell you I had the same problem with the same result. (Ooops - where's the delete key!) While you're at it check all the connections in the battery area. Many of mine had very bad crimps to point where wire could be easily slid out of connections. I ended up re-wiring most of my connections when I installed two large batteries, a 1000 watt inverter, and a 3000 watt inverter and an small exhaust fan to remove battery fumes from area (done by pressurizing battery boxes similar to stock by installing fan in inlet vent tube, and installing exhaust tubes away from area).

While checking another electrical problem, I pulled main circuit breaker panel out and checked wire connections. Some were very loose, not now, tightened and re-routed some wires to clean up installation. Amazing what a few wire-ties will do for organization.

And remember to check your GFI's if you lose power and don't know why. Multiple circuits may be affected by tripping a GFI.Edited by: oldman

2009 CrossRoads Seville VF35RL

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the heads up about the GFI eally good advise that I could of used a few days ago The good news is that while I had everything taken apart i found some loose connections.

CF33LF PROVINCIAL EDITION
SWAILES is offline   Reply With Quote