Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 10:56 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Strange water taste

I’ve been getting a slight chemical taste from the city water I use to boil for tea in my RV. Also, I notice a bit of an oily film floating on top of the water after it’s been boiled. Has anyone encountered this before? Is it an issue with the plastic pipes? If anyone has an ideas please let me know. Thanks!
akaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:54 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

If you’re hooked up to your water hose, it may be the hose itself. I had similar issue a couple of years ago. I thought for sure it was campground water treatment issue until I tried it at home. You could drink out of hose and had no chemical taste, but if it sat for an hour, it was awful. New hose solved issue.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Sounds like the problem is the source of the water. A water filter may help.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Ak
This may be a stupid question but have you sanitized the water system in your camper.??? That is something that should be done every year...Also as Mark has suggested a water filter is a good idea...Please let us know what you find...It could help someone else...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We use a counter top Berkey Water Filter in our camper. I'm a water snob and want it tasteless. It's the only device I've found that does the trick.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

We always travel with an empty storage tank, and fill at destination. BUT this summer at a Provincial park campground there was a boil water advisory and the hydrant was not posted where we filled. We became aware of the boil water on an afternoon stroll posted on the bathroom door the next day. Thankfully we always carry a 5 gal drinking water from home or store bought. We complained to the park office as people in trailers fill with water, and most never use the park facilities, therefore unaware of the advisory. Next day every water hydrant in the park had a boil water sign hanging on it. I keep my water tank, lines, pump, water heater, everything always empty and clean but never drink from it, as just stated the tank water is good for everything else but I still want to know what I'm drinking. Plus it don't hurt to add a 1/4 cup of bleach every now and again, or especially after filling with a boil water tank fill.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Stupid question do have the proper water hose (white)
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote