Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
New Camper

hi there

we are looking to buy a new sunset trail trailer and dont know where to begin

we are comparing to a rockwood and our decision is up in the air

why is it that they dont transfer a warranty if you are a second owner??

any tips would be helpful!!
bccouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The warranty thing is pretty common and it saves them money that way.

As far as the rest, what are your questions?

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I had a ST31QB but traded it in for a motorhome. Oddly enough, I am sitting in my camper looking at a 2010 ST31QB in the site right next to me!!!

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Not sure what you're looking at, but the build quality in the Sunset Trail is a HUGE step up over the Rockwood IMHO.Ā*

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Only Jayco would transfer their warranty. You will find it rare for any company to transfer a warranty between owners.

As far as warranty you will find the Crossroads warranty is superior to the Rockwood. The Rockwood comes standard with 1 year warranty, you can buy a optional 1 year extension through the factory only within the first month of ownership. Crossroads has a standard 2 year bumper to bumper and 5 year structual warranty. Not many companies offer a full 5 years on structure.

As far as construction methods between the two units they are very different. The Rockwood uses a single laminated wall, floor, roof and slide room. The walls are laminated using 1/4" luan, 1.0" block foam, perimeter framing, 1/4" luan and then glued together. The wall is 1.5" when done with a R-value of about 7.

Crossroads uses "hung wall" construction. This means that they use real tubular alum. studs spaced 16" OC like a real house. They then lay in batten insulation and if you order it they also put in AstroFoil bubble insulation. After the walls complete they hang a sheet of fiberglass that is glued to the exterior skin. The finished wall is 2" and has a much, much better R-value (about R10)

Also, Rockwood uses the same materials to create it's roof/floor decking - it is a laminated piece of foam/luan/perimeter framing - Crossroads uses real plywood decking for both the roof and floor.

All-in-all I think you'll find the features of the Crossroads to be superior, the construction superior and the warranty superior.

Seems like a easy choice to me.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Originally when we were shopping trailers we were deciding between the Rockwood and Sunset Trial. We were leaning ST for the following reasons:
The wall construction, warranty, storage, tinted windows, other options not even available in the Rockwood at that time, and known Crossroads service. If I can find my excel spreadsheet for the comparison I'll forward it on to you. But then we walked into a 5th wheel and completely switched gears and went that way. The dealer couldn't be believe it.
_popupControl();

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

We have a 2008 Sunset Trail ST27 RB that we absolutely love. We have had very few issues with it and they were corrected quicklly by our dealer. THe rear bath is a great choice and the open floor plan fits us with our 2 girls (dogs) really well. Good luck on your purchase and happy camping.

Linda & Ed
ldul101 is offline   Reply With Quote