Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

How large of a Surge Protector do we need to use on our 30 AMP supply line?

Do you suppose a hard wired unit inside the CR could be a warranty issue?

What features are really needed?

I can seethat it is prudent on a 50 AMP service where loosing neutral could damage equipment.

Thank you in advance.

Kamper Dave
Old 03-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Maybe I have been lucky all these years but I have never had an issue with current spikes. I have been "plugging in" since '75 in atruck camper, then TT and now the 5er. If I see lightning close by I will unplug but that's all. I DO check the voltages at the hookup post before I plug in. Is a surge protector really neccessary or am I just "lucky"?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper Dave
How large of a Surge Protector do we need to use on our 30 AMP supply line?

Do you suppose a hard wired unit inside the CR could be a warranty issue?

What features are really needed?

I can seethat it is prudent on a 50 AMP service where loosing neutral could damage equipment.

Thank you in advance.

Kamper Dave

The Surge Protector doesn't have much to do with current protection because it's a voltage protection device. A 30A Surge Protector will work fine. While the electrical grid is pretty well protected for voltage surges, there are occasions where local voltage spikes can occur and that's where the Surge Protector comes into play. Normally a Surge Protector will hold the voltage spike to about 135 to 140 volts, which will protect most voltage sensitive components in your trailer. As an added feature, most Surge Protectors will trip an internal breaker to fully protect your trailer. The sequence of events for a Surge Protector is first, it sees the voltage spike and trys to limit the voltage to your trailer. Because the spike is instantaneous, the Surge Protector needs a bit of time to trip it's internal breaker to protect your trailer.

Hope this explains a Surge Protector.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have a 50 amp Autoformer hard wired inside our unit. I have seen it kick in at different parks when the voltage is low or high. It was expensive but worth the peace of mind. When we sell this trailer it will go to the new one. I had a 30 amp Autoformer in our old Cruiser.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:24 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

It is cheap insurance, will not void any warranties, and they protect both high and low voltage (you might see low more often than high especially in a crowded park). I installed the progressive unit in my trailer right after I took it home.

Match the unit to your trailer service (e.g. 30 to 30 and 50to 50).Edited by: sheltieRV

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I installed the Surge Gaurd and I'm glad I did.Last summer I had the electric post breaker fail while I was hooked up and the Surge Gaurd tripped showing a miswire warning.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ge-guards/2480
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:00 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Now I'm confused. Should I buy a 50 amp "Autoformer" to regulate for low & high voltage, or should I buy a 50 amp "Surge Guard" to protect for voltage spikes? There both almost the same price. I already understand the polarity issues, just not sure, which should I protect for.

'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:28 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

When we first got our trailer I started to look at things extra things to buy. A number of folks talked about serge protectors and the need for them. Some would just protect form serges others would kick off if an under / over voltage happend. I did get one of the cheaper ones that protected from serges as well as making sure the wiring was correct. In the past two long summer trips staying a a number of parks I did see where in the afternoon when everyone would turn on the AC's the park voltage would drop to the lower limit or below. This could cause a number of bad things to happen to the electronics in the camper. This year will will be adding a second AC and know this is even more important now than ever. I looked around at many of the voltage controllers and did lots of reading on them. I did buy a voltage controller that would not only protect for surges but when the park power dropped it would boost the lower power that has been noted above. They do cost a few bucks but replacement may cost more. Biggest thing it is a peace of mind thing.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

The Autoformer and Progressive units will both have surge/spike protection and will boost and lower voltage. I preferred that over just the surge protection but it is a personal choice. Both will protect better than nothing.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that each unit has their specific purposes. Autoformers boost low voltage but does not provide optimum spike protection. Surge Guard does not boost low voltage but provides good protectionfor lowvoltage and spikes. However, if the RV park is experiencinglong term low voltagewithout a autoformer you could be without AC for quite a while. Seems that there could be an argument to spend the money on both if you plan on visiting older parks.

I personally decided on the SurgeGuard because I have a seasonal site in Florida that has great electrical service but also is a good risk forlightening zaps.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I am sure the autoformer has surge protection also but the power master voltage controller says it will protect surges upto 3,580 Joules. So I would say buy one to do both surge and voltage control.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Thanks, I was reading where the "autoformer's" did both, but wanted to see what everyone suggested. I think I'm spending the extra bucks, to get both from the "autoformers" Thanks again to all.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:40 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

George, I had forgot about the Power Master. Another good choice.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

I don't mean to be argumentative but I'm aconsultant and I can't help myself sometimes. So I justwanted to post the links whereI gained my information.

Please note Janice B.a Hughe's Representative.

http://www.goodsamers.com/members/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22633721/gotomsg/22710594.cfm

And an exert from the Hughes User's Guide:

Surge and spike protection:

The Autoformer is designed to boost voltage. However, there is built-in surge and spike protection that will protect your coach from some spikes and surges. But to protect your rig it may damage the Autoformer and it will have to be returned for repair.

Frank's Voltage Booster uses 35 amp circuit breakers as described in their own technical paper found at this link. http://www.voltagebooster.com/ Frank's website advertises surge protection but I have also read at this linkhttp://www.rv.net/FORUM/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20301226/gotomsg/20331526.cfm that it is no better than the breaker found in your home breaker box and it will not trip fast enough. Notethat Homeriod'sopinion is based on an email from Frank's.

OK. I'm done....
Old 03-12-2010, 01:44 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDLuke

I don't mean to be argumentative but I'm aconsultant and I can't help myself sometimes. So I justwanted to post the links whereI gained my information.

Please note Janice B.a Hughe's Representative.

http://www.goodsamers.com/members/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22633721/gotomsg/22710594.cfm

And an exert from the Hughes User's Guide:

I agree. The autoformer has a specific purpose to boost low voltage, the protection that they include is to protect the autoformer (it has to go before the surge protector, otherwise the low voltage circuits on the protector will kick in). I have not seen a unit that truly provides both services.

I have looked at Autoformers, especially after a bad low voltage campground. I plan to get one, and only use it when my progressive unit shuts down the system for low voltage. Otherwise it has no value add and does not need to be exposed to conditions that it cannot really address.Edited by: sheltieRV

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">RVer’s

[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Thank you[/B] for all of the suggestions.

Kamper Dave

Sheltie: Hope to see you in again in Gardiner. We are now towing a new CF31RE10.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper Dave

Sheltie: Hope to see you in again in Gardiner. We are now towing a new CF31RE10.
If you make it to California let us know. This year's big trip is Alaska....unfortunately on a cruise ship not the Kingston!

2008 Chevy 3500 dually