Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

surge protector

We are in the process of upgrading our tt. We know our next rig will be 50amp power as all 3 finalists are 50 amp. I saw This surge protector on sale and was thinking it is something we should have. Is this one a decent one? Will it protect our next tt/5er? I know nothing about them other than it is highly recommended to have one. Thanks.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
We are in the process of upgrading our tt. We know our next rig will be 50amp power as all 3 finalists are 50 amp. I saw This surge protector on sale and was thinking it is something we should have. Is this one a decent one? Will it protect our next tt/5er? I know nothing about them other than it is highly recommended to have one. Thanks.
I would say yes, and that is a good price. I bought the 30 amp one. Have used it several times since. Have not had any issues. Some will probably tell you that you need a hard wired one to avoid theft. They are quite a bit more expensive. Forget about the locking hasp they sell. It is plastic crap. Mine has not been stolen yet but I have been on the look out for a metal locking hasp. I have seen them, but since I want one I can't find it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I will not tell you that you need a permanent surge guard, but I will tell you I am glad that is what I installed. I went with the TRC unit and added the remote display.

I really like being able to glance at the display and know what the voltage is and the current amp draw. Down side, the unit was a couple hundred bucks and the display was $99.00 At the very least go over the comparison chart and do not decide strictly on price.

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

How often do these things get stolen? Have any of you experienced this before? As some of you know, I'm new to this. I don't have a SP yet but I know I need one. I'd be fire mad if I spent a couple hundred bucks on one only to have it stolen...
Old 06-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Z-1 View Post
How often do these things get stolen? Have any of you experienced this before? As some of you know, I'm new to this. I don't have a SP yet but I know I need one. I'd be fire mad if I spent a couple hundred bucks on one only to have it stolen...
I think most campers are probably honest people. I don't have a lock on mine, yet. I also usually leave my grill, chairs, etc out and have not had a problem. The portable fit my budget and gives me a little piece of mind.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 06-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I saw some SP's on ebay much cheaper than the ones in Camping World and Tom Johnson. What are your thoughts on those?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SSP-30-30-Am...5c4e32&vxp=mtr

Here's one I found.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Based on advice from posters on this site I had this one installed: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ge-guard/69523
Although I have a 7 year warranty, it would still suck to be left high and dry with a fried electrical system until I could get warranty work done (if they would even cover it). For me, it is piece of mind and cheap insurance. I went with hard wire vice plug in......

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Surge Guard installed.

">

Now, I can feel safe if I ever get in one of those campgrounds artgpo was talking about.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I have one similar, have used for 10 years, and no one has ever bothered it. Just like the Veu Qube
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

How many Joules are recommended?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Aileen
I have the Surge Guard 34750. As far as security is concerned I find that more campgrouds have pedestals that can be locked if you carry a pad lock. That way the surge protecter is locked into the pedestal, and no easy way for it to be stolen.

As far as which one to buy all you have to do is look at the graphic MEHoffman posted and figure out how much protection you are willing to pay for. More money more protection.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
As far as security is concerned I find that more campgrouds have pedestals that can be locked if you carry a pad lock. That way the surge protecter is locked into the pedestal, and no easy way for it to be stolen.
That's a good idea Tommy!

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Z-1 View Post
How many Joules are recommended?
The more the merrier. If you look at the chart, it gives a great description of the differences between all the protectors. Some are just surge protectors, usually the most inexpensive. Others cost much more since they do more that the basics ones.

Aileen, I agree with Tommy. It's up to you on how much you want to spend as long as you buy and use one, that's what's important. (If it's for a non CR model I take back my advice.)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Ok thanks guys. Just trying to figure out if the election cheapo version will protect us. I agree some protection is better than no protection. Also, knowing the wiring at misty mountain had surges last year at our campsite, I definitely have been nervous not having one.

Next question is protection from power drops important? WhAt happens from low voltage? I know a surge can fry your system. Basically, I know zilch about the electrical system.... other than what hooking a battery up backward can do. did that one in our first season. Oops.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

For Low Voltage protection this video will help.
http://howtorvgeeks.com/electrical/r...ge-protection/

We have an External and it has saved us twice.

2014 - 47 Nights - 1445.8 miles.
2013 - 44 Nights -
2154.8 miles.

ZT211RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
Site Team

Low voltage can cause some appliances, especially air conditioners, to draw high amperage. That high current draw can damage those appliances.

A surge protector will not protect your rig from low voltage. It protects you from momentary spikes in voltage, often caused by lightening.

Check out this article for additional info: http://rvtravel.com/noshockzone/surge477.shtml

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

I know several of us on here including myself have installed the hard wired 50 amp version with the monitor - EMS-HW50C. I am very happy with it. Good price right now at camping world. Pretty much covers you for everything.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...otection/56420
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:54 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest View Post
I know several of us on here including myself have installed the hard wired 50 amp version with the monitor - EMS-HW50C. I am very happy with it. Good price right now at camping world. Pretty much covers you for everything.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...otection/56420
That is the model I have and am happy with it. When comparing units look at the warranty. Progressive Industries has a lifetime warranty and 24 tech support. That's why I bought theirs. If you go to their website and click on either of their 2 recommended dealers the price is $299 with free ship.

A surge Protector tries to stop a high voltage surge on the power line. Note "tries" Some indicate if polarity is wrong or an open ground or neutral. My remote display shows the voltage and current draw for each line plus any errors that have occurred. Mine currently shows PE-6 which shows at one time there was an over-voltage (>132v) event on Line 2.

Low voltage will damage the AC faster than over voltage. That model has a large relay that if the voltage is less than 104v or greater than 132 the relay opens and disconnects the RV from power. When the voltage is back in range the relay is energized and power is applied to the rv.

Another feature is a time delay. Older AC's do not like to have the power removed and turned back on almost immediately, the compressor will try to start under a load. The newer ones have a delay built in so that when power is removed and reconnected rapidly the compressor will not try and start for abt 2 min IIRC. The EMS-50 has a programmable delay built-in, either 15 sec for the new ac's or just over 2 min for the older units.

Another thing on the hardwired unit is when the RV is plugged in if there any problems with the pedestal electricity (bad grounds, neutral and hot reversed, over voltage or under voltage, etc) the rv will not be powered up so that you can check the error code and correct the problem before it causes any problems.

The next step up is an autotransformer setup which take the pedestal power and if low boost it and if high cuts it down plus all of the other features. Then you're into the $600+ range.

Basically there are 3 levels of protection;
Basic surge protection usually with correct polarity indication(but does nothing but show it) ~$100,
Surge protection with polarity protection that will not allow power to the rv and protects against over/under voltage, ~$300
And the autotransformer, all of the above plus voltage regulation. ~$600

Prices are for a 50a device. Pick your comfort level. Realize any of the devices that stops a serious surge IE lightning the device will be damaged and need to be repaired/replaced. They are one-shots on surges.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif View Post
That is the model I have and am happy with it. When comparing units look at the warranty. Progressive Industries has a lifetime warranty and 24 tech support. That's why I bought theirs. If you go to their website and click on either of their 2 recommended dealers the price is $299 with free ship.

A surge Protector tries to stop a high voltage surge on the power line. Note "tries" Some indicate if polarity is wrong or an open ground or neutral. My remote display shows the voltage and current draw for each line plus any errors that have occurred. Mine currently shows PE-6 which shows at one time there was an over-voltage (>132v) event on Line 2.

Low voltage will damage the AC faster than over voltage. That model has a large relay that if the voltage is less than 104v or greater than 132 the relay opens and disconnects the RV from power. When the voltage is back in range the relay is energized and power is applied to the rv.

Another feature is a time delay. Older AC's do not like to have the power removed and turned back on almost immediately, the compressor will try to start under a load. The newer ones have a delay built in so that when power is removed and reconnected rapidly the compressor will not try and start for abt 2 min IIRC. The EMS-50 has a programmable delay built-in, either 15 sec for the new ac's or just over 2 min for the older units.

Another thing on the hardwired unit is when the RV is plugged in if there any problems with the pedestal electricity (bad grounds, neutral and hot reversed, over voltage or under voltage, etc) the rv will not be powered up so that you can check the error code and correct the problem before it causes any problems.

The next step up is an autotransformer setup which take the pedestal power and if low boost it and if high cuts it down plus all of the other features. Then you're into the $600+ range.

Basically there are 3 levels of protection;
Basic surge protection usually with correct polarity indication(but does nothing but show it) ~$100,
Surge protection with polarity protection that will not allow power to the rv and protects against over/under voltage, ~$300
And the autotransformer, all of the above plus voltage regulation. ~$600

Prices are for a 50a device. Pick your comfort level. Realize any of the devices that stops a serious surge IE lightning the device will be damaged and need to be repaired/replaced. They are one-shots on surges.
Thanks for the info, never thought about a voltage issue when we had the pop up. Now that we upgraded to a TT we will need to be more aware of these issues..... this forum has giving me so much info!!! We are leaving this Friday for a 9 day trip to Lake George so I had to pay extra shipping to have it here by then. Thank you for possibly saving me thousands of $ damage to our new Z1.
Stonehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Some very informative post. The RV Travel link that Mark posted has a lot of good information. Thanks Mark.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4