Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

If you are hooked up to a convertor box do you have to disconnect the convertor in order to hook up to cable. Can you install a switch if so, does anyone know how to do this.

ThreePutt

'05 28CK

'03 Silverado 8.1 Allison Trans
ThreePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Site Team

It's my understanding, if you have cable TV service, you don't need a converter box.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I use a satellite dish when I am camping and I have a converter box. I do not have to turn off the satellite receiver in order to use the converter box and watch local stations. I have them both set to run on channed 4 and when I turn on the converter box it overrides the satellite receiver and there is no interference. I would think that the same would apply to a cable hookup situation.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

George, I tried it and it doesn't work unless I am doing something wrong.There must be some way you can hook up a switch. I have the TV screw down to the E center and I have a fireplace under the TV. When I go to a campground that has cable I was thinking I could just hit a switch and go to cable. Thanks.

ThreePutt

'05 28CK

'03 Silverado 8.1 Allison Trans
ThreePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

On my unit there are two plugs in the basement. One is for cable the other is for Sat. I hook up the cable, and than turn off the power antenna this brings in the cable.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I'm not familiar with the converter box, but if I had one, I'd check to see if there is more than one input to the box. If it does, then I see no reason why you can't utilize them. One input will be for your batwing antenna and the other input could be for cable. Normally, when the converter is on, the electronic switch will default to the batwing antenna input and when it's off, it'll switch over to the other input. If you don't have two inputs on your converter then you will have resort to installing a manual coaxial switch between the converter and the television and connect the second input there.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Try an a-b switch . can find them at any hardware store. You can find the manual ones for 3-4 dollars
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote