Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I got a new truck! My work truck version F150 was struggling to pull my Zinger 19 up the hills and the Chevy dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a new Silverado with the 5.3 V8. I have discovered that 4:00 pm on New Years eve is a great time to walk into a car dealership.

The Chevy has the trailer package installed but not the factory brake controller. The harness is just unterminated wires so I only need the generic cable. For as long as I am going to have this thing there is no reason to skimp on the brake controller. There really isn't that much difference in price from cheapest to most expensive.

I am thinking Teknosha P2 or P3. I can't really see much functional difference between them. What it the difference between a Teknosha P2 and a P3? The price difference on Amazon is all of $5.

Should I look at something else?

Dave
n36078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

In that price range, there is nothing better. Can't speak to the difference P2 vs. P3, but I'd spend the extra $5. If you want a better system, then you will spend maybe 2x $ to get one of the units that tie into the master cylinder or use a pressure transducer on the brake pedal to get true proportional control.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Dayle,
Good to know that it is a good unit. The P2 vs P3 questionis more based on sometimes things aren't improved with the newer version.

I am really amazed that Chevy puts out pickups with 10k tow packages without a controller and that you can't retrofit a factory controller. I guess it makes sense to someone in marketing. The discounts on the truck were so good that it more than makes up for having the controller under the dash instead of in it.

Dave
Old 01-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

The P3 has a current meter and more diagnostic features. I prefer the P3 for the current. I check my current output before each trip. It will detect an open brake magnet.

In the $150 range there is no better brake controller.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I ordered it this morning. $119 total, newoff of Ebay. The Paypal invoice came through to an RV dealership in Tennesee. I even had a couple of Ebay bucks to apply to the purchase.

Next thing to buy for the truck is a set of nerf bar steps.

Dave

Edited by: n36078
Old 01-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Now on to the nerf bars. Mine are Levurne full length steps that look like tubes. Make washing or tieing things to roof rack easier being able to step anywere. All stainless means no rusting like the black steel tubes.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I am leaning toward Westin Ovals that curve in under the truck at the front and rear. I will probably go with the black powder coat because the truck is white. I wonder if it would be a better idea to get the stainless bars and have them powder coated to avoid any possiblity of rust.

Dave
Old 01-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

;od to see a blue oval traded on a bowtie...although the current F150 is growing on me.

The P3 is a very good model. We only have a basic Hayes controller...works great in our Trailblazer.
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Dave the Levurne's are radiused. Mine look great onour white truck. The only thing that would need powder coating would be the mounting hardware

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote