Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

The Geo Method

I have been reading a lot of articles about The Geo Method and have been convinced that it is the way to go when it comes to waste water tanks. I understand that according to the article @https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/, it says " I'll say this; brand new rigs shouldn't need The Geo Method for several dumps (6-12, or more - maybe less)." However I wonder as I get ready to go on our maiden trip next weekend if there is something that I should be doing to prepare my waste water tanks to help with the Geo Method. I would think that if I used some Calgon and some detergent in the tanks with some water that it might help with the tank in the future. Any insight on this is appreciated.
Camp Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would personally start right off the bat with the geo method. Also always make sure there are a few gallons of water in your black tank and never ever leave your black tank open at a full hook up site. I would also encourage you to flush your tank every time you dump from the start

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Site Team

I'd start right away also. Can't hurt.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Start right away, we did with our new unit last year. It is the best treatment that we used to date.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I read a lot about the GEO method as well as other home remedies for the tank. I also noticed a lot of comments about using nothing. So I figured I would give it a whirl. Our last trip was 14 days, I had toilet chem in stock but did not add it. I was totally surprised that we had no odor at all. I dumped the black tank when It was usually around 1/2 as that is when I had the opportunity. At one point it was well near 2/3 and we were fine. By the way, I did not tell the wife of my experiment as She may have had other ideas. In the end I did ask her if she noticed anything and she did not.
I will add, that the temps were in the 60's at night, and mid seventies during the day. Not sure how well this would work in the 90's for several days in a row....
Old 07-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Take it from a Floridian. Nothing in the tank is No Bueno (not good) in the heat. I forgot once and it started to smell quickly.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Sometimes I don't get it. We spend tens of thoudsands of dollars on our Rv's and won't spend a $1.10 on a pack of black tank treatment.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 07-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Its not a money issue mark5w, its more about all the "magical mixes" people come up with. Fabric softener, bleach, dish soap, calgon, etc.....I was just surprised how doing nothing worked fine.I do think the GEO method, from what I have read helps keep a tank cleaner. But then again, how clean does it have to be?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I have been using the GEO method. I also have plenty of the "drop ins" so I just throw one in while I am at it. I have been laid up for over a month but went and hung out in camper and was checking everything out and absolutely no smell what so ever. It was a 100 degrees inside. No smell.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
Site Team

I believe the stuff in the geo method helps keep the "stuff" from sticking to the sides of the tanks. This helps in getting a good rinse of the tank when you connect up to the auto rinse. I only use the geo method if I'm not going to camp for a month or so and at the beginning and end of the season. In between I use the drop ins.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

We started using the calgon and dish soap a couple of years ago on our last trailer and it always worked great. I would still add some chemicals in the tank just to help break stuff down and help control the oder. I usually mix up a 2 gallon bucket of water with some calgon and dish soap in it just before we head out so it has a chance to splash around in the tank while we are towing. Since I have been doing it we have not had a problem with false readings or trouble emptying the tank. I've even been doing it on the last couple of trips with the new trailer. The cleaner you can keep the tank the less issues you will have with oders.

Phil & Janine
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I started geo last year . but on my trailer i need a bit more than 2 gallons as my valve is outside the covered bottom and there is about 4 ft of 3" pipe to fill before it gets to the tank bottom (to stop the pyramid.) Hope people with exposed valves realize this also,no matter which method they use.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I started geo last year . but on my trailer i need a bit more than 2 gallons as my valve is outside the covered bottom and there is about 4 ft of 3" pipe to fill before it gets to the tank bottom (to stop the pyramid.) Hope people with exposed valves realize this also,no matter which method they use.
I too usually add a little more then just the 2 gallon bucket. I just mix up my solution in the 2 gallons of water. Since we can go more then a week before the black tank is even close to full I feel it doesn't hurt to have a little more water in there to start with to help with the "pyramid".

Phil & Janine
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote