Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

As I sit waiting for spring to arrive (it snowed yesterday) I think of last spring when we already had our unit and I was going over the new purchase.

I have a suggestion for all new owners.
-1) Forget the idea that even with a good walk through prior to delivery your unit will be perfect and ready to go>
-2)There are going to be things wrong with your unit.
-3) Be prepared to fix the simple things.

I think that all units regardless of who built them (maybe one or two exceptions) are going to have things that were put together sloppy.

Plan on taking a day and spending it on your new unit.

Grab a phillips head screwdriver, some electrical tape, some zip ties etc. and go around cleaning up all the work that was done too fast.
An example, you can trim off 2-4 feet of extra wire going to each electric jack motor. If your unit is like mine they just wrapped the extra around the motor and taped it in place.
Also, there were tons of screws that were 1/2 way in.
I made a few small adustments to doors and latches.

BUT, on the positive side, it gives you the opportunity to get to know your way around your unit. So when something fails at 11:00 pm and it is raining out, and the spouse is less than happy,,,,you may know where something is located and easier to fix.

JUST MY 2 cents.

All new owners. Enjoy your new unit. Take advantage of the info on this site. Post the questions and likely someone has an answer.

Please say a prayer for spring.

kurt

Old 04-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Nicely said Kurt. We're sending you some good weather from Florida.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Yes. All good points. Unfortunately RV ownership is not the turn key activity that some new owners expect it to be. I have had good luck with the units we have owned but I think my definition of "defective" is different than others...if I can fix it, replace it or improve it myself I will.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Excellent post, and all to true, as I just got my unit home today and There are a lot of little things I want to do

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Couldn't agree with you more Kurt. Just picked up my Sunset Trail 31SS yesterday and did a walk through of my own today. I noticed that 2 of the 4 screws on the piece of wood that holds up the flip bunk have almost completely ripped out. Good thing I noticed before I put weight on it. I will be having a closer look tomorrow. Perhaps they missed the stud. Good tips.
Maxable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I think one of the fun things about having a trailer is learning about how to do things (or laughing at DH as he struggles through it). and yes, regardless of manufacturer all new trailers have something (hopefully small) that needs fixing. unfortunately lack of QC is across the board in rv's. The trick is to find the problem and get it fixed while under warranty and to find a company that stands behind its product.Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Even though I have had my Cruiser since Sep. of last year, and have already been on a trip with it, I have still not had time to go through it and look for ALL the little things that might need attention. There are also some things I want to change as I feel they were not engineered with a lot of thought. The weather this year has not helped. Now it looks as if the weather is going to start getting better so I should have a chance to start on the camper.

Here's hopeing we all have a safe, fun and trouble free season of camping
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Excellent advice, Kurt. I spent 6 months angry over my brand new (brand name withheld) 40 foot fifth wheel year before last. Once I realized that, for the most part, I had a very good camper with a few odds and ends that really should have been put together and tested a little bit better but weren't, I was a much happier camper. Most of my complaints were minor. Only a couple were really anything to be concerned about, and those were repaired under warranty no questions asked.

I would add to your advice:
1. Campers are not like cars, and neither are the warranties. Instead of a bumper to bumper factory warranty like an automobile, you have to rely on the warranties of individual components. A good dealer will make your warranty work experience much better. Be sure you do some research about service after the sale before you buy.
2. You WILL have to work on it, sometimes while you are camping in it. Be prepared for that and keep a tool kit in the trailer.
3.Don't sweat the small stuff. No use letting anger over poor quality control at the factory ruin all your fun. Like Kurt said, it doesn't matter what brand you buy, they all have the same problems.
4. Relax and enjoy your camper.
Edited by: mike06081969
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Picked up our 2011 a cpl weeks ago and weather has been to cold to even dewinterize it yet...hope to the end of this week. Anyway I have run across a few odds and ends that need attentionand make ya sit and wonder...whyyyy in the world did they do that. Anyway keep the tool box handy and like Mike said....dont let it get to ya and enjoy the fun.
2011 26RKX
rdpalm is offline   Reply With Quote