Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
New Camper

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

I have seen some messages about this and various brands like TST, Hawkshead,Doran and others from a few years ago and wondered if anyone currently has an opinion on which is best overall.

I have a 33 foot crossroads cruiser pulled with a f250.
Thanks, vbholmes
vbholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Team

I've had the HH for a few years. (still do) I'm no longer satisfied with the way it performs it's functions.
My to do list for tomorrow is to contact TST and find out what I can on the internal ones. I was going to go with Dill, but they are more money and I didn't get good feelings on them today when I talked with the dealer.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
Site Team

My biggest concern with the internal ones is the batteries. The battery died on one of the Schrader sensors in my '08 Impala, but luckily it was just before I replaced the tires. Costco replaced the TPMS sensor when they installed the new tires. That was about 6 months ago. Now I have another beginning to act up like the other one. I'll have to have the tire removed to replace that sensor.

I have a TST system on my 5th wheel. I like it because I can replace the batteries when necessary. I also like being able to see the temperature of the trailer's tires while I drive down the road in my truck. They really work well. The remote can receive the signals from the tires while it is in the truck parked on the street and the 5th wheel is in the carport in the backyard about 200' away.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
My biggest concern with the internal ones is the batteries. The battery died on one of the Schrader sensors in my '08 Impala, but luckily it was just before I replaced the tires. Costco replaced the TPMS sensor when they installed the new tires. That was about 6 months ago. Now I have another beginning to act up like the other one. I'll have to have the tire removed to replace that sensor.

I have a TST system on my 5th wheel. I like it because I can replace the batteries when necessary. I also like being able to see the temperature of the trailer's tires while I drive down the road in my truck. They really work well. The remote can receive the signals from the tires while it is in the truck parked on the street and the 5th wheel is in the carport in the backyard about 200' away.

The TST on your camper, is that internal or external?
As far as battery life on the internal ones, they advertise 5 to 7 years.
If that's the case I could live with that.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Site Team

They are the external flow through sensors.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have the TST system with internal sensors on the Cruiser and external on the truck rears. System is over 2 yrs old. I did have one internal sensor fail prematurely, TST immediately provided a replacement. Otherwise, I prefer the internal sensors, temperature readings are not affected by sun, wind, etc like the external sensors. That means they provide a greater opportunity to detect dragging brakes or dry bearings besides just tire issues.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

My Hawkshead has been working fine for 3 or so years now. Batteries last two years. Only upgrade I would get is the T valve so I can add/delete air without removing sensor.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have the pressure pro system. Simple it screws on the valve and all you get is pressure. I have had it for 5 years and now the batteries are going dead. The batteries are costly but the system works good for me.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
New Camper

so some are happy with hawkshead and some want to get the TST system. Is that the 510 that is available at camping world for $299. Does it allow you to put in air without removing the sensors?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
Site Team

You can buy them cheaper here then from camping world.
http://shop.greatrvproducts.com/TST-...sories_c29.htm
Old 07-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
New Camper

Thanks LLoyd, will check out the website.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

We have been using the TST external sensor system for 5 years now and it has worked great for us and "saved" us more than once. I wouldn't be without it. Hugs, Di

1996 Carriage-Mor/Ryde Kodiak Disc Brakes-Big Foot leveling system-TST Tire Pressure-Plug It Right Stabilizers.PM pm me if you would like to see pictures of our "Carriage ReDo"
Dutch and Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Another TST user. Works good and gives some piece of mind.

I have the "user replaceable" battery unit. 2 years now and I think it is time to replace the batteries.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Smile TPMS vs Remote Thermometers

A little off topic. Please forgive me.

Just wondering if anyone has a tire pressure monitoring system and a remote thermometer, and have experienced any issues with interference between the two. I think most, or all remote thermometer units operate on 433 MHz. My TST TPMS uses the same frequency.

I have not found this to be a problem over the years, however, lately I have been having some boot (recognizing the sensors) issues with the TPMS. I have heard these thermometers can cause cause a conflict with the TPMS, don't know if it can affect the thermometer in some way as well.

What say you?

BTW, I seem to have solved the problem with help from TST and the addition of a repeater and a dipole antenna. As I mentioned ran for years (about 3 years) with no problems and the two additional pieces of hardware.

If you like customer service, you'll love TST.

Thanks,
Robert
Huntington Beach, California
100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:44 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

I know this is an old thread but I hate to start another one if this exist. I'm in the market for a TPMS. I see that camping work has the TST on sale. But has anyone used The Tire Safeguard System?

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

We don't use the Tire Safeguard system so unfortunately I can't offer you any help there. We have been using the TST system for 5 years and it works for us. Hug, Di
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I know this is an old thread but I hate to start another one if this exist. I'm in the market for a TPMS. I see that camping work has the TST on sale. But has anyone used The Tire Safeguard System?

1996 Carriage-Mor/Ryde Kodiak Disc Brakes-Big Foot leveling system-TST Tire Pressure-Plug It Right Stabilizers.PM pm me if you would like to see pictures of our "Carriage ReDo"
Dutch and Di is offline   Reply With Quote