Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #21
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougmcp View Post
All ST trailer tires are designed to run at max pressure indicated on the sidewall. Running trailer tires at anything less than max invites overheating and sure trouble while max gives you the best trailing (handling), coolest running and the best fuel economy.
Disagree. Goodyear publishes an inflation chart showing the tire PSI vs Load for my G 614's.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #22
Weekend Camper

I was confused by this as well. Max tire pressure to me means do not go over that amount also meaning you can be under by a certain amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #23
Site Team

Just because it states - x amount of psi on the sidewall of your tire, doesn't necessarily mean that is what you should or need to have in that tire.

A lot of people are hollering to go up in load range on their tires and run max psi. That isn't always necessary. The chart that Bipeflier posted shows this.
I'm not saying you shouldn't go to a heavier rated tire, I have always advocated that the psi in your tire should be in comparison to the weight the tire has to carry.
You get a heavier rated tire and pump it up to max psi when it's not needed and your rig gets a rougher ride. Remember, your tires are part of the suspension also and they are designed to take up some of that shock.
I have 10 ply LT tires on my little rig, but I only run 64 psi.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipeFlier View Post
Disagree. Goodyear publishes an inflation chart showing the tire PSI vs Load for my G 614's.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
If you use the chart, don’t guess on your weight. Get your trailer weighed for travel before setting your psi.

I’m one that always runs max psi cold, but I haven’t weighed my trailer either.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #25
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
If you use the chart, don’t guess on your weight. Get your trailer weighed for travel before setting your psi.

I’m one that always runs max psi cold, but I haven’t weighed my trailer either.
Me too! I haven't weighed my current 5'er but keep max psi. Upgrade tires and minimize unnecessary weight and you don't have to worry about it. I used to weigh and worry but decided I was overthinking things. Properly weight rated quality tires at whatever psi makes you happy is all that's necessary. Max psi makes me happy since I can't tell any difference in less and I prefer max load overkill.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #26
Weekend Camper

Yes, set the pressures cold. Early in the day, always before towing. Check them hot once in a while so know. Regardless of what pressure you choose, it's important to check and thoroughly inspect all tires before traveling. Blowouts will ruin an otherwise good day. Most caused by underinflation or previous damage. Surpassing speed ratings on hot days will also cause tire failures. Well cared for, most will serve you well. I set my Goodyears to Max psi per sidewall. Gives me a little margin on the load. [emoji41]
Happy Trails
fredtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

I just spoke with a rep at Goodyear and they said run the recommended air pressure that your RV calls for not the max pressure on the sidewall. This was not a dealer but direct from the factory.
Danny Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #28
Kab
Weekend Camper

Mine came with 32 lbs and the tire and the camper both said to put 65 lbs in cold so I that’s what I did.
My camper has a tag on the side with the recommendations for weight and tire pressure just like the tag inside my pickup door.
I never paid attention to this until I started reading this forum.
Kab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

If we were talking about psi for a motorhome where you are riding in the coach, I would pay attention to the load inflation tables for a more comfortable ride....

BUT for a 5'er or trailer, I would put the most air that is safe for the tire to keep it running cool and so that it can handle the weight it needs to carry... after all, you won't notice the difference in ride, but you will on tire mileage, tow vehicle mpg, tire life, tire heating, etc....
Old 07-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
If we were talking about psi for a motorhome where you are riding in the coach, I would pay attention to the load inflation tables for a more comfortable ride....

BUT for a 5'er or trailer, I would put the most air that is safe for the tire to keep it running cool and so that it can handle the weight it needs to carry... after all, you won't notice the difference in ride, but you will on tire mileage, tow vehicle mpg, tire life, tire heating, etc....
Goodyear says you will get better wear by using recommended pressure for your vehicle
Danny Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #31
Weekend Camper

The tag on the vehicle is the psi the vehicle manufacturer recommends. Decisions made based on load, ride comfort, handling, or??. Tire companies always tell you to use the mfg recommend psi. It's a liability issue. (Remember the Ford Explorer Firestone craziness. All those blowouts were on under inflated tires. Ford wanted to improve the ride and recommend a low pressure on a already substandard tire.) The sidewall psi is what the tire mfg engineer choose. You have to choose between the 2. Few problems arise from using either if your tires are cared for properly. Failures are usually from neglect. A few minutes checking them over well before you go is a good investment. Also, make sure you know the production dates. Tow vehicles should not exceed 36 months and 24 or less for trailers. Tires are really cheap compared to how much a problem can cost.
Here is a link to Goodyear RV tire check... https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...checklist.aspx .....and no, I don't work them. Actually I don't work at all anymore. Happy Trails [emoji41]
fredtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #32
Weekend Camper

Read the label on the trailer. That's the proper pressure to account for sidewall flex that's necessary to keep the maximum tread patch on the road. the max number on the tire sidewall is for the tire - not the intended load. Too much pressure and the tires will try to hop over bumps (push your wheel barrow with a solid tire over a rock at any speed). Those hops will stress every component where those tires connect to the frame. As long as you replace tires with the same load range, that sticker will be your best bet.
kvmllr is offline   Reply With Quote