Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Tire pressure question.

What do you think the tire pressure should be run at for the 205/75R14 GoodYear Endurance. The recommended 65psi for 2040 max weight, even though these tire will only be carrying 1350lb each or maybe just reduce down a tad to say 60psi. I'll also ask at the tire shop tomorrow when they install them. Sometime a second opinion is very reassuring as I check the air pressure when I get them home with my own gauge. lol not that I don't trust there gauge but have to live by mine.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Some will adamantly disagree, but if it says 65 psi I'd run 65 possibly 60 psi. Less pressure builds heat, cause sidewalls to flex more while turning & uneven wear. Have you had the rv weighed & sure they only carry 1350 lbs if so maybe 60 psi. It your tire dealer is like most, every tire they mount they inflate to 32 psi unless otherwise instructed.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I run max pressure on sidewall.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Got ya, and see your point. I agree with the run max pressure and 65psi it is. I'll be taking my gauge to town to compare pressure rather than run brand new tires all the way home half inflated. I have no problem if someone is a tap tilted because I carry my own pressure gauge. He better get use to it cause I'll also be torquing my own lug nuts so if there ever is a problem in a year down the road so that I can break the nuts free after he's done with his impact wrench.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I agree to 65 PSI

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:30 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Always full pressure. A few psi will not make much, if any, difference in the ride dampening and why not use all of the tire you just bought.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I run my D tires with 65 lb max at 60. Makes the ride a bit less harsh, but it could be my imagination. I also do the same with my truck tires. When I'm towing, I go max pressure. When there is no load, I lower the pressure 5 pounds or so.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I would also recommend a TPMS system. My system has saved the destruction of several tires and possibly major damage to the trailer.

I run my trailer tires at sidewall max pressure regardless of actual weight on the tires.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Since you are not in the 5'er while going down the road, I agree with close to max pressure on sidewall... mostly !

BUT there's maybe a consideration about dropping it 5 or 10 lbs if the load inflation tables still say it can carry the weight...

When you run your car, truck, motorhome at max pressure, you can certainly tell how much SHOCK is transmitted to the interior if at max psi - could this contribute to actual damage of the rv if it is SLAMMING over every bump and leaving the ground like our 5;er did a couple of times ?!?
an when backing into a site, how much strain is put on a sidewall if at max psi when it's being twisted into a site ?

just food for thought - have a good wkend !
Old 06-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

tire pressure and gauge

Tire Pressure:
The RV stays at the MAX always.
The truck while towing: the rear truck tires are at the max while the front tires are less.
The truck when not towing: We use a load to pressure chart from the tire manufacture to determine the proper pressure.

Tire Pressure Gauge:
We use the Tire Minder pressure and temperature monitoring system but I used to own 5 gauges and none of them matched the Tire Minder or each other. So when the folks at Tire Minder called with an offer on their new model A1A that included a free high quality digital gauge I was all for it.
They also sent me a free set on new batteries, o-rings and a new transmitter to replace the one with a broken solder joint and we are now on their battery replacement agreement.
We now own just 2 gauges.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:47 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Went to my local tire store on Monday 6/4.
Inquired about the China bomb tires.
Listed what tires I have on my camp trailer》 Rainier ST.
What should I run them at ? Asst.mgr. said 60 (sixty) PSI.

My tires on my camp trailer are very good tires. They don't need to be replaced , per the tire store.

Per my tire store◆
The Chinese had flooded the market with cheap tires. And Naturally manufacturer's wanted to save a few bucks , so they bought crap rubber to put on these units.

2016 Chevy Silverado PU 1500
5.3. nice V8
Glenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:35 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenda Clark View Post
Went to my local tire store on Monday 6/4.
Inquired about the China bomb tires.
Listed what tires I have on my camp trailer》 Rainier ST.
What should I run them at ? Asst.mgr. said 60 (sixty) PSI.

My tires on my camp trailer are very good tires. They don't need to be replaced , per the tire store.

Per my tire store◆
The Chinese had flooded the market with cheap tires. And Naturally manufacturer's wanted to save a few bucks , so they bought crap rubber to put on these units.
I think some China products are great and some not so much. It all comes down to quality control or lack thereof. If a big American brand holds their feet to the fire, you get a good quality brand name item, [I]made in China.[I]
If the company management actually wants to make a good product, they hold their own feet to the fire and make a good product. Unfortunately, a lot of Chinese companies see quality control as a needless expense that also causes them to trash some inferior product that they could sell to unsuspecting customers.

Things seem to be improving with Chinese manufacturing and possibly the tire problem is past but I would be very suspicious of any obscure Chinese tire brands. Once bitten, twice shy...and boy did I get bit!

Also don't forget factory tires tend to be marginal for weight and speed ratings, which exacerbates the poor quality tire situation.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormseeker View Post
Also don't forget factory tires tend to be marginal for weight and speed ratings, which exacerbates the poor quality tire situation.
Also how old are they before they are even installed and not balanced.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #14
Kab
Weekend Camper

My zinger has 32 lbs in all the tires when I bought it but tire says max 65.
Why would they come with 32 lbs
Kab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kab View Post
My zinger has 32 lbs in all the tires when I bought it but tire says max 65.
Why would they come with 32 lbs

Incompetence.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #16
Gone Traveling

Every time I've bought tires the people mounting have always inflated to 32 psi, I guess unless otherwise told that's the standard pressure & the guy mounting doesn't know any difference & honestly most drivers don't either. The auto dealer told me once that they do that on new cars so that they ride good when test driving.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:36 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

All ST trailer tires are designed to run at max pressure indicated on the sidewall. Running trailer tires at anything less than max invites overheating and sure trouble while max gives you the best trailing (handling), coolest running and the best fuel economy.
Dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

So, if I am understanding this thread correctly I should fill my tires up to 65psi when the are cold or sitting overnight. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Yes 65. PSI cold means that it should be checked in the morning before you drive more than a few miles, or before rising outside temperatures affects the tire.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:14 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Yes 65. PSI cold means that it should be checked in the morning before you drive more than a few miles, or before rising outside temperatures affects the tire.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk