Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
ARK
New Camper

Just purchased a new 2011 Crossroads 28.5 Fifth Wheel with Master Track ST 235/80R16 tires-load rangeE and 10 ply, are there any issues with these tires as I have never heard of them. Thanks to allfor any information on the above.
ARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I would inspect them yearly for dry cracks or anything unusual and go with it.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
ARK
New Camper

Thanks Dan, are these good quality tires as we are headed for Alaska and don't want any tire issues.
ARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Your tires are made in china, you need to keep them properly inflated & check thepsi, everytime you stop. Buy a good quality TPMS & replace the tires when you are able to.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I would do as the others say about keeping them inflated properly and keeping a close eye on them but , I would not replace them until they are 3 or maybe 4 years old.The ones you replace them with (more than Likely) will be made in China too, and may not be any better. So why spend the money untill you need to. I get my TT tiresbalanced, I figure it can't hurt and when you arerolling at 65 mph it's just got to help (in mymind anyway). I don't think most peoplebalance them and they have no more trouble than any one else, so that is just personal preference.

Flyone

Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

My last set of factory installed china tires and they lasted 6 years. Upon my yearly inspection i saw some weather checking(cracking) So i replaced them last fall with exact same. I pump them up in the spring and they hold pressure perfectly. I screw on my tire monitor sensors before leaving for a trip and i can't remember ever having to add air before a trip. Never had a flat or a tire issue. I don't get involved with tire debates or do i concern myself with them. I don't like to loose sleep over tires, Nor do i read into all the hipe on the internet about tires.

My first set came with a "d" rating "power king- tow max)..Ran them at 65psi. They had a sale going up at the local garage and i upped it to the "E" rating "power king-tow max). Run these at 70psi. Over kill for my camper. But i got a deal with the e's .. Good for another 6 years, I hope.. Even the best tire can have an issue. I don't balance them either. Just my opinions.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

In the other forums there is a lot of negative talk about Master Track tires. Don't see anything bad in here so I assume there are not a lot of problems. A little bit concerned because Master Track are on the 5er I just bought.
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

We had our troubles with the cheap China tires on our trailer on our second trip and got very lucky the two that seperated did not do it running 60+ mph down the highway. I replaced them with BFG Commercials and a TPMS and never looked back. I would never own a set of cheap Chinese tires again and would not pull a trailer to Alaska on them for sure. When we replace this trailer I know the next one will come on cheap tires no matterbrand we buyand the deal will be worked around me replacing them as soon as we leave the lot. The RV manufactures are just being cheap to save a few bucks instead of putting good tires on them at the factory.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I have the Master Track "E" rated tires with 17K miles on two of them (other two were replaced along with the axles) and have not had any problems. However...I would side with Hunter11 on this one and definitely replace them before a trip to Alaska. In the lower 48 you are almost always within a reasonable distance from a nationwide tire store and Good Sam is just a phone call away...not so in the distant Northwest. Personally, I would not want to take the chance on cheap tires.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

There has been so much discussion about so called "China bombs". There is a tire expert maintaining a blog about Chinese tires. I believe thereis a link from RV Travel Newsletter. This man claims Chinese tires are built to the same standard as American made tires. His contention is that almost all tire failure is due to overloading, inflation issuesand/or speed. Most people have no idea how much weight they are pulling. How many of us weigh their rigs before a trip? Inflate per manufacturer specs and keep the speed under 65.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Art,
Although I am a "newbie" and probably shouldn't have much to add to what you have said, I am of the same belief. Now that I own a rig, I notice things I never used to notice before; like people that I pass pulling TT's or 5ers and my normal speed on Interstate's "not" pulling my rig is 65 to 68. If I pass these people then I know they are complying with the manufacturer as far as speed. But, as you said speed, whether or not your WDH is properly set up, and the weight you're carrying is all a factor. I have tire monitor's on my vehicle and I am amazed at how much the pressure goes up when traveling on a highway at high speed. Imagine what it does to those trailer tires. I have seen enough posting from people saying they have had their tires 5-7 years with 1,000's of miles on them that tells me there is something else to this. If someone wants to get nervous and remove brand new tires and they have cash to burn, good for them. I will continue to montor my pressure and keep them at the correct level and drive at an appropriate speed and watch the weight. When we do go full-time I will be purchasing tire monitors just for the added safety, but only because I will be traveling so many miles through so many different extremes. Thanks for you post, it is right on I think...IMHO.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote