Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

My spare did the same exact thing never was on the road and just blew apart one day.

I got to get some Goodyears on my Z-1 this China crap makes me nervous....
mossyoak1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #22
New Camper

Hey everyone, quick update. On Friday I made a claim online with Lionshead which is the distributor of Castle Rock and a few other brands of tires. The next day we headed to Colorado with the trailer. I checked my email the other day and saw that I had a response from Lionshead within 1 business day. Long story short, they approved the claim and are reimbursing me about 90 percent of what I spent on replacing all 5 of my tires. That was more than I had asked for as I had just made the claim for replacement of the spare. The customer service was great. By the way, the Goodyear tires performed great, even in pretty heavy winds driving through northern Arizona.
DHGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #23
Weekend Camper

That's great news.

My tire store said there isn't anything wrong with my Rainier ST's
nor do they need to be replaced.
Not China Bombs either.

2016 Chevy Silverado PU 1500
5.3. nice V8
Glenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:21 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

I’m shocked they stepped up and reimbursed 90%. That’s great.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #25
New Camper

Yes, I definitely was not expecting them to do that. I have to say I am very happy with how they handled everything. They were very nice and very helpful.
DHGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #26
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenda Clark View Post
Are original trailer tires bad ? Mine look OK on my 2018 keystone Bullet Premier 19fbpr.

Advice ?
Greetings from Rubber City USA tire capital of the world..sort of(Akron OH area),

So I'm sure some of the other resident tire experts will chime in here however I wanted to respond to your comment that you cannot necessarily predict future tire failure by visual inspection on trailer tires. First, they don't wear like your truck tires. Sure, if your tread is down to 2/32 your living on borrowed time, however there are tons of articles/blogs online of stories of trailer tires blowing out without visual wear. Keep track of your mileage and how old the tires are. If you still have the OEM and have 3-5K on them, my personal recommendation is to swap them out for a good set of reputable (US) brand tires. Just my 2 cents.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #27
New Camper

A RV tire dealer in Michigan recently told me that the DOT in Michigan is now requiring all new RV tires to be load range D. I think he also mentioned that bias tires will be phased out and replaced by radials. Two good moves.

I also heard that the insurance industry is crying about all the nasty blow outs on trailers. A simple blow out can cause several thousand in damage when it takes out a kitchen or bathroom.

When I see cracks in my sidewallls I always retire my tires.
spartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #28
Weekend Camper

I just put the Goodyear Endurance tires on my rig. Love them so far. Had one of the original tires blowout around 5,000 miles.
Beebee381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartus View Post
A RV tire dealer in Michigan recently told me that the DOT in Michigan is now requiring all new RV tires to be load range D. I think he also mentioned that bias tires will be phased out and replaced by radials. Two good moves.

I also heard that the insurance industry is crying about all the nasty blow outs on trailers. A simple blow out can cause several thousand in damage when it takes out a kitchen or bathroom.

When I see cracks in my sidewallls I always retire my tires.
2x on the cracks. If you see cracks, it is almost too late on the OEM Chinese tires. I have endurances installed last Saturday. I can't believe the tread and sidewall thickness difference. Like two totally different types of tires, yet state the same size and application on the sidwall...amazing.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:26 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

Mine has Castle Rock tires with a 75 mph rating, anyone with bad experience with this brand? They were made in China.
Danny Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:27 AM   #31
Weekend Camper

Guess I should have reread the op.
Danny Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:41 AM   #32
Full Time Camper

I am going to go a bit off topic here regarding piece of mind on tires. I bought a TPMS for the trailer after my first blowout. Turns out I drove for a good couple minutes before noticing the smoke since it was so windy that day.

All tires can fail. Yes, you should check your tires regularly and keep track of miles and age. It's catching the blowout ASAP to prevent further damage to the trailer, cause the another to blowout from the pressure, or worse cause the trailer to go into an uncontrollable swag (google it...you will find dozens of videos on youtube).

Real moral of the story here is piece of mind, so I thought I'd throw in two cents on the importance of tire pressure monitors. There are several recommendations out there on this site and others, so won't get into that.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:51 AM   #33
Family Vacation Member

Those are made by Lionshead. You can find many issue's with Lionshead tires if you look. I had 2 blowouts on our second long trip with our new tire. Had proper psi's, switched them for Goodyears as soon as I could. Also put on a tpms….
Old 06-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #34
New Camper

2015 Sunset Trail , 32RL, Original Tires from factory, right side front blew at 4870 miles, tread wear almost not noticeable. Replaced with Carlisle 10 ply and more plies on sidewall and also much higher weight rating. Max load on factory tires was at or below, max loaded trailer weight.
Don't wait. It will cost you in repair and headache if you don't.
dalacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #35
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpres View Post
Advice? Get rid of them as fast as you can!
I fully agree! There are far too many stories of original equipment Chinese tires, with low time and miles, blowing out on the highway. And many of those blowouts cause a lot of damage to the trailer.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #36
Weekend Camper

castle rock tire spare

hi all, had the same thing happen to me. I had a blowout on one of my castle rock st tire, so I put the new spare on it for the next 15 miles I had to travel. then I researched about some better tires and found out about the goodyear endurance tires and went ahead and purchased 2 of them for my single axle z1 lite. so like gonzo did, I kept my one castle rock tire as a spare. the blowout happened in april when it was not hot here in Ms. I always keep check on tire pressure and condition before and after getting on the the road. anyways first of may we made our big rv pull (trip) out to my daughters house in Albuquerque new mexico, Endurance tires are Great! 1260 miles one way. anyways while we were at the rv park, we decided to go see my daughter-grandchildren everyday. while we were gone the spare castle rock I had blowed out on the spare tire carrier. I was amazed never seen nothing like it in all my days and I'm 61. needless to say I looked up a tire dealer in Albuquerque and they had endurance tire, so I went and bought me a new endurance st tire for my spare. the castle rock tires are junk. hope to get my pics loaded so ya'll can see them. Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0807.jpg (163.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0808.jpg (94.7 KB, 16 views)
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #37
Weekend Camper

you're right JEH412. I had to replace a left side fender well and woodwork and plumbing on the inside on my z-1 lite. I just posted pictures today of my spare tire blowout on tire carrier today.
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #38
Full Time Camper

So I’ll admit I don’t know a lot about tires? No question is stupid right? Ok, so on my 2016 Cruiser 5er, I have the Castle Rock size ST225/75 R15. On the Goodyear Endurance ST225/75 R15E; I assume the E stands for 10 ply? Am I correct? So if I replaced mine with these would that be the correct size for replacement? I mean; I wouldn’t think a E rating is bigger, just ply being thicker? And what are the Ply rating on Castle Rock tires?

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 06-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #39
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
So I’ll admit I don’t know a lot about tires? No question is stupid right? Ok, so on my 2016 Cruiser 5er, I have the Castle Rock size ST225/75 R15. On the Goodyear Endurance ST225/75 R15E; I assume the E stands for 10 ply? Am I correct? So if I replaced mine with these would that be the correct size for replacement? I mean; I wouldn’t think a E rating is bigger, just ply being thicker? And what are the Ply rating on Castle Rock tires?
I believe you are correct Ted. Just make sure to confirm they are E 10 ply rated. I assume you’re current are E rated? As you know, never want to go “down” a rating. I’ll be switching at some point in the near future.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #40
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
I believe you are correct Ted. Just make sure to confirm they are E 10 ply rated. I assume you’re current are E rated? As you know, never want to go “down” a rating. I’ll be switching at some point in the near future.
I wasn’t sure because the Castle Rocks don’t have an E at the end.