Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #21
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
One thing to remember in buying tires, you may get a great deal on no name brand tires but they will not cover damages to the trailer in the event of a blowout even if proven the tire was at fault. The major brands like Goodyear will pay for damages. They may cost more but they are cheap insurance when you have 10,000.00 in trailer damage

That's what my friend thought too. Insurance had to cover damages when he had two blow. That was in 2012 I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

True
But there is a difference between road hazard, running over something and a poorly constructed Tire. If the tire is at fault you are covered. With no name you aren't
Old 06-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #23
Weekend Camper

Quote:
One thing to remember in buying tires, you may get a great deal on no name brand tires but they will not cover damages to the trailer in the event of a blowout even if proven the tire was at fault. The major brands like Goodyear will pay for damages. They may cost more but they are cheap insurance when you have 10,000.00 in trailer damage
I've read the Goodyear warranty. It specifically states they are not responsible for "consequential damages" They also will not warranty any tire used in a manner the tire is not designed for. I would interpret that to mean if someone uses a "LT" tire for trailers that they design a "ST" tire for, they will not cover that either. As I understand "ST" trailer tires are designed with heavier sidewalls to reduce rolling under load on turns etc.
I think I will stick with a "ST" trailer tire for my trailer. They can't fault me for using tires rated way higher than what I need.
By the way, I went with Synergy All steel SP500 235/85-16.

Good Year warranty
https://www.goodyear.com/content/dam...20LT%20(2).pdf
Old 06-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

Of you go to the Redwood forums. Numerous people have had good luck with Goodyear paying for coach damage caused by their tires. Mainly the e rated marathons
Old 06-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #25
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Of you go to the Redwood forums. Numerous people have had good luck with Goodyear paying for coach damage caused by their tires. Mainly the e rated marathons
I'm not sure how to take that.
Should people be concerned that there is a significant number of folks that have experienced trailers damaged by Goodyear tires?
Guess I'm glad I didn't get E rated Marathons.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #26
Full Time Camper

No
Most of the trailer companys will put on tires that will barely carry the load they have on them. The marathons are a good Tire if used under the correct cucumstance. When put on trailers weighing 17000 lbs they are border line overloaded. All tires will and can have failures. It's how the tire company responds to these that makes a difference
Old 06-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Most Redwood owners run G614's at a minimum,with a lot moving up to 17.5 H. You asked about a good tire,then put "ST's" on GY Marathons are far better then "ST's" but it's your trailer.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #28
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy D View Post
I would interpret that to mean if someone uses a "LT" tire for trailers that they design a "ST" tire for, they will not cover that either. As I understand "ST" trailer tires are designed with heavier sidewalls to reduce rolling under load on turns etc.
Just FYI, not all trailers come from the factory with ST tires. Last time I inspected the tire sticker on all of the trailers on a project, only 1/3 specifically listed ST tires, 1/3 only specified tire size and 1/3 specified LT tires. All were fifth wheels except 2 TTs. Very interesting is that the units most likely to specify LTs were newer, heavier units like Mobile Suites, etc. Maybe LTs have equivalent sidewall stiffness.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #29
Seasonal Camper

Another thing to remember is that most trailer tires are rated for 65 mph tops. If you never ever drive any faster, not an issue, of course, but why not have the extra margin?

I had good luck with H rated Goodyear ST tires on a heavy 5th wheel but like LT tires on my lighter unit because I feel they have a substantial safety margin for carrying passengers and seem (to me) to hold up better. A seemingly knowledgeable tire guy who ran a fleet of trailers told me that all passenger (LT) tires are required to be able to handle 50% more than their stated load because they haul people, not stuff. He said his company had tested it and found it to be true: LT tires didn't fail where comparable ST tires did when overloaded.

My understanding -and experience- is that ST tires aren't kidding when they say only xx mph and xxxxx lbs max load. Go over either limit and they're done. I'm not advising overloading LT tires, just that there is more of a safety leeway with them than ST tires.

Like everything in life, we all have to decide for ourselves. Whatever tires you choose, just be sure they have good leeway in the weight rating. This is one case where more is better.

I'm glad your wheels are 110 psi. That will save some money. Mine were, I think, 65 psi with D rated Chinese tires so I had to buy wheels too.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #30
Site Team

They are now making ST tires rated for 75mph. Carlisle is one of them, bout time they wised up.

Quote:
Product Description
Tire Size: ST235/80R16
Load Range: E

Rim Width (not included): 6.00 in
Tire Overall Diameter: 30.8 in
Section Width: 9.0 in
Load Capacity Single: 3,520 lb
Load Capacity Dual: 3,100 lb
PSI: 85 lb
Speed Rating: 75mph

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #31
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
They are now making ST tires rated for 75mph. Carlisle is one of them, bout time they wised up.
The dealer told me these were rated at 75 MPH. Not that I'll try that, but if I hit 70 down hill I won't sweat it.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #32
Seasonal Camper

No doubt the G614 tires are a tremendous upgrade from our E rated Chinese bombs. I just think they're way overpriced.

I tried to get the Sailun tires, but no success. The all steel Hartland is G rated & rated at 81 MPH.

I would really like an E rated LT, but with 7000 lb axles, I'm just not gonna do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote