Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
New Camper

I have a 2006 Crossroads cruiser CF29RE. Due to unusual outer edge tire wear I had a frame shop align it. They supposedly took out some excessive camber. When they did the tires rubbed on the shocks. The second frame shop realigned it a left some camber in but now I have one shock 2/32 from the tire and the other three are 9/32 from the tires.

My question: What is the distance between tire and shock on other Cruiser 5th wheels.

I have already found a fix - elongate the shock mounting hole and slide it towards the frame. I am just wondering what a good spaceing would be and if I might have to do all the wheels rather than just one.

P.S. Hangers are all straight, crossmembers good, no frame damage.

Thanks
jrmovinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Maybe early models had shocks installed but as far as I know no Cruiser model come with shocks. It could be that they were installed by the previous owner?

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Around 06-07 timeframe, Cruisers DID have shocks, in fact it was an issue with the mounting angle iron hitting tires. The fix was to move the top shock mount inwards 1 -2 holes and cut off the excess angle iron. That's what they did to my 07. Now the clearance is 1/2-3/4" from the tire and I have had no issues since.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
New Camper

Thanks Stan. That pertty well tells me what I need to do. I find it a little strange that Lippert and Crossroads didn't have that info for me. Probably had an old timer retire and take that info with him after yours was fixed.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Yeap I had a06 28RL Cruiser and had the same problem 3 out of 4 was rubbing the tires. I redrilled the holes closer to the frame and had about 1/2" from the tire. You will want to check the weld on the angle bracket that they welded to the frame as it was bad weld. The brackets would break loose from the frame and let the shock drop and that wasn't good. New tire. Hope this helps.

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I had the same problem on my 2006 29rk. Solution for me was to drill new upper shock holes, cut off the excess mounting bracket (3/4 inch) I found removing the u-bolts and bracket holding the axle on allowed for easier drilling. I only discovered this problem when the inside of one tire was being worn away by the shock rubbing on it. "Dodged that bullet"
Old 01-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

My 5W came with shocks.
Had the shocks rub against the tires ,so I had them moved from thewheelsby drilling new hols on the bracket-works OK now.

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
New Camper

Thanks to all for the replies. I plan to drill new holes and move the shocks on my unit also.

jrmovinon

1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke

Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmovinon
Thanks to all for the replies. I plan to drill new holes and move the shocks on my unit also.

jrmovinon

Make sure that the welds on the shock mount angle ironsare good. I was a victim of the welds failing on the mount. It cost Crossroads repairs to all the mounts, a new tire and rim and exterior trim pieces that were damaged.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

You might want to consider going to Equa-Flex and doing away with the shocks

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote