Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Tongue clearance

Hi all,

I'm putting this post here instead of the Z-1 section because there's very little traffic there. Also other models might have the same tongue setup as the Z-1

I have on order a ZT301BH which I ordered sight unseen. That was because CW didn't have a Z-1 on the lot and won't until mine shows up. I was looking at some pics online trying to figure which ball mount, I have several, I will need when I pick it up. What I saw is causing me a great deal of concern. The tongue of the trailer is welded to the bottom of the trailer I-beam. My concern is the clearance of the bottom of the tongue I-beam. I had to flip the axles of my last TT (Dutchmen 275BH) to get the clearance I needed to get in and out of my driveway and some campsites. Can anyone provide clarity on whether this is a problem or how far off the ground it is?

Dale
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Even if you flip the axles for more clearance you can get a hitch with up to 10 inch rise or drop to lift the front end
woodwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Was your previous TT low to the ground? The Z-1 should sit a bit higher with the super slide, etc.

I have an Equalizer, and it has all kinds of height adjustment. Even with a 2500, you will want a WD hitch so regardless of brand, you should have plenty of height adjustment.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
Was your previous TT low to the ground? The Z-1 should sit a bit higher with the super slide, etc.

I have an Equalizer, and it has all kinds of height adjustment. Even with a 2500, you will want a WD hitch so regardless of brand, you should have plenty of height adjustment.
Yes my previous TT was a bit low. I flipped the axles because the plumbing was too low to get safely up my driveway and also there were two brackets hanging off the rear frame to guard the plumbing. That isn't the problem as the Z-1 sits higher. The problem I am concerned about is that the tongue of the Z-1 seems to be welded on below the box frame. That would make it a potentially problem getting in and out of the driveway. The problem is clearing the curb not getting the correct rise/drop from a ball mount.

Maybe the picture I'm looking at is an optical illusion but it sure looks like the tongue frame is not a direct extension of the box I-frame but is welded on below it. While the TT is well off the ground the coupler sits lower to the ground because the tongue is welded on below the box frame.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

You must have one heck of a hump in your driveway as most all TT I've seen lately are just like that picture.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

My "A"frame is welded the same way , never experienced any problems and have had various angle drives and parking spots.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
My "A"frame is welded the same way , never experienced any problems and have had various angle drives and parking spots.
As an American I worked at a hockey school in Sundridge and on weekends would take canoe trips in the Algonquin. Also played Junior A in Guelph. That was in the early 70's.