Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
New Camper

Hi,

We've just purchased our first trailer after tenting. I am looking for help/ideas on how to create a rail for the upper bunk over the outside kitchen. I've heard of folks using the bed rails that are meant for regular beds with some success. If you've used them, did they work? I've also come across some "bed bug bolsters". Has anyone used those?

Thanks for any thoughts you can share!
Libby

HappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We made our own bed bug bolster and it didn't really work. Our DD (she was 3 1/2 yrs at the time) fell out of the bunk many times. We tried using our regular side rail from home (the kind that slides under the mattress and hooks on the other side). It worked except with our bunk you have a very small space to get in and out. She was completely trapped and couldn't get out to come to us, this kind of freaked her out. Our best solution was to take the cushions from the dinette and make a landing mat for her. This worked but we were only using the bottom bunk (w/ 1 kid our top bunk is for storage). Lots of suggestions in this thread. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25949975/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

We have a bunk in our 5er and we bought a wooden fold-down bed rail. It has 2 "arms" than go under the mattress and those hold the rail (looks like a wooden gate) in place. The rail can be tipped down by lifting it up and pulling out slightly. My daughter did not like the lumps under the mattress (apparently she is princess material!) so I cut the "arms" to about 3 inches long and screwed them into the plywood under the mattress and they have worked great ever since.
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
New Camper

Thank you both for the ideas. I will check them out. We have 1 week to get something sorted out before our first trip. Yikes!

HappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote