Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

2 Years ago I had to replace the batteries in my 7.3 Diesel tow vehicle. The batteries that are in there are Optima Gel Batteries. I have used one as a trolling motor battery for the last 6 years. It is still going strong. The 2 batteries in my truck are only 2 years old and are in need of being replaced. I always thought that the gel batteries were the best. Now I am not so sure. Has anyone had any experience with gel batteries? I need the batteries but don't know what ones to get. I cannot find any of the paper work on the batteries so I can't go to some place and complain. Any feed back would be appreciated.
pointer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I just replaced both mine with the Duralast Gold from Auto Zone. I figured they are kind of like Walmart or Sears and have locations all over the country in case I ever need a warranty replacement. I had the same batteries in my old diesel for three years when I sold it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Your question actually gave you the answer. Gel cells aren't really intended to be high current starting batteries. They work far better as a steady current source. If you use one for your trolling motor, the battery drain is relatively steady and it can handle it. Once the battery is discharged, you recharge it. Using it as a starter battery, you are demandingpretty nearshort circuit current from the battery. The battery will supply it for a while but there is an internal heating of electrolyte, each time you start your diesel, and that accelerates degradation of the cells in the battery. Also the gel cel would be continuously on charge as long as your truck is running slowly drying out the electrolyte. That is part of the reason that you don't seegel cells (valve regulated) batteries in cars and trucks as starting batteries. The basic flooded battery is far better choice for a vehicle battery than a gel cell and cheaper too. Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:03 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Also the gel cel would be continuously on charge as long as your truck is running slowly drying out the electrolyte. OK George, What is in the battery Gell or Electrolite ? lol.

Gell battery's don't vent and in theroy are not sopposed to gass making it less likey for the gell to dry out.

I know in an industrial application the flooded battery is MUCH better than a sealed battery.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thank you for your feed back. My plan was to replace the batteries from someone like Wallmart or Sams Club. Some place that has stores all over the country. Since there are a lot of Wallmarts in South Texas where I am headed for the winter I think that is where I will end up going. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy1967
Also the gel cel would be continuously on charge as long as your truck is running slowly drying out the electrolyte. OK George, What is in the battery Gell or Electrolite ? lol.

Gell battery's don't vent and in theroy are not sopposed to gass making it less likey for the gell to dry out.

I know in an industrial application the flooded battery is MUCH better than a sealed battery.

The gel is the electrolyte which is a combination of sulphuric acid and a silica compound. As it is used, it has a tendency to dry over time, especially if it's on constant charge. The typical life of any valve regulated battery is about 40% that of a flooded battery. Most VRLA batteries don't have as much electrolyte as a flooded cell. A lot of the VRLA batteries have chemical recombination material that recombines the free and hydrogen and oxygen to water to hydrate the electrolyte but that isn't 100%. In my opinion, the only advantage of the VRLA battery is it's low maintenance, but not much else. I know of no VRLA battery that has the poop of a flooded battery for starting cars and trucks and lasting as long as one. Having dealt with many types of battery banks in my past life,Ihave decided tostay away from VRLAbatteries because they are just not as reliable as flooded batteries and the expense in not worth the convenience. Hope that helps. Merry Christmas and Happy Camping in 2010.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I didn't have much success with Optima's in my Ford either. I was actually rather disappointed for the money I spent.

<font color=BROWN>2006 33RL Paradise Point</font>

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...amper/33rl.jpg
CamperNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I know what you are saying about being disappointed with the extra money spent on Optima's. I have a charger working on the batteries as I write this. Tomorrow I will head to Wall Mart to get replacements.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I just replaced the two batteries on my 05 Diesel.Started to go back with Motorcraft but found out NAPA had 880 CCA in stead of 750 that came on the truck and was $50 cheaper for the pair.The Napa are made by the company that makes DECA.My old ones lasted 5 years which ain't bad for a battery now a day.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy1967

The gel is the electrolyte which is a combination of sulphuric acid and a silica compound. As it is used, it has a tendency to dry over time, especially if it's on constant charge. The typical life of any valve regulated battery is about 40% that of a flooded battery. Most VRLA batteries don't have as much electrolyte as a flooded cell. A lot of the VRLA batteries have chemical recombination material that recombines the free and hydrogen and oxygen to water to hydrate the electrolyte but that isn't 100%. In my opinion, the only advantage of the VRLA battery is it's low maintenance, but not much else. I know of no VRLA battery that has the poop of a flooded battery for starting cars and trucks and lasting as long as one. Having dealt with many types of battery banks in my past life,Ihave decided tostay away from VRLAbatteries because they are just not as reliable as flooded batteries and the expense in not worth the convenience. Hope that helps. Merry Christmas and Happy Camping in 2010.

Messing with you George. I know it's not been long but I have been working with industrial batteries now for about 6 years, There is a ton I don't know. Wedo not mess with gel batteries at all, I see one of those and I srape it. I'm in charge of over 1500 fork lift batteries, We work on these in house but only about 5% of them. We farm the rest out as it's just too much.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I use Douglas batteries on my truck. I think this good, durable battery. Gel battery is also good but i have no personal experience for this battery.
Used RVs
Edited by: aja72
aja72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Shoot! Been putting of buying new batteries for the TV, but fate has caught up with me. Weathers been in the teen's for daily high, and hadn't run the truck for several days. Wouldn't start even with the "jumper." Got it going with my wife's car. Guess I have to break down and make the purchase.

lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I had that happen last year, I went to Oriely's as I needed them now, I have no idea what brand they were. So far so good.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

I had to replace both batteries in my '07 last winter as the orignal couldn't handle the -15 /-20's temp we had. I jumped the truck and drove it to the dealer who installed 2 Motorcraft850's CCA instead of the factory installed 725 CCAs. However, driving the truck to the dealer and charging the batteries cooked the alternator so that had to be replaced a week later. Total cost to replace the batteries about $700.00 leason learned don't use the truck's charging system to charge dead batteries. Use a battery charger.

As for Optima batteries I installed a Optima Red Top in my vette several years ago and couldn't be more pleased with it. TheAC Delco batteriesI would only get a about a year out them, because the Vettewill sit for weeks on end without being ran.With the Optima I'm going on 3 years and itcan go at least 3 weeks with dieing out.The other reason Iwent Optima was because it was gel. Chevy great idea was to run the computer harness under the battery compartment and I didn't want to risk a battery leaking the wiring harness.

_popupControl();Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the replys. It's nice to know that other people have had similer problems so that it didn't end up being just me.