Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #21
Seasonal Camper

I would not doubt if any of the above are correct, There are so many things that can go wrong with these new Trucks / cars. I would try to find a good local dealer and let them look at it. That truck does not have enough miles on it to be having any worn out issues.

You need a real pro not internet hackers ( no offense to any one in particular )
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #22
Weekend Camper

No little light flashing. Diesel Dave's idea about the alternator sounds like a good possibility. I will check the trans fluid with the papertowel test later today if this rain ever stops. I have an appt tomorrow afternoon with Ford's service dept and I will mention the alternator theory and see what they say. I always tow in tow haul mode and in Overdrive and usually the truck rides better towing the 5er than without her. I drove all day yesterday without the 5er and did not have any problems. Truck is still under warranty until the end of June so want to make sure it is fixed before then. Keep all the good ideas coming and I will let you all know what happens after service appt tomorrow.

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Ford F250 Diesel Crew Cab
tgckmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:55 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy1967

I would not doubt if any of the above are correct, There are so many things that can go wrong with these new Trucks / cars. I would try to find a good local dealer and let them look at it. That truck does not have enough miles on it to be having any worn out issues.

You need a real pro not internet hackers ( no offense to any one in particular )

I guess offence to everyone who tried to help not anyone in particular.
johnnnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #24
Weekend Camper

Update --- Just took the truck on the interstate without the 5er, turned the Tow Haul ON and the transmission problem started again. Will be test driving with the 5er tomorrow with the Ford Srv Mgr. On the phone, he said he doubted the Tow Haul was the problem, but it sure is looking that way. Any more ideas out there???????

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

wel It rulls out the alt. any way.
diesel dave 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:39 AM   #26
Family Vacation Member

Had similar problem, I have a 2004 F350 diesel. RPM's would rise but no power. The problem was the egr cooler. Replaced it and an oil cooler that sits next to it and all seems well. The top end of the motor has to be removed.
dja29RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #27
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja29RK
Had similar problem, I have a 2004 F350 diesel. RPM's would rise but no power. The problem was the egr cooler. Replaced it and an oil cooler that sits next to it and all seems well. The top end of the motor has to be removed.
Dont think that is the case here. His does it in Tow haul mode only.
diesel dave 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #28
Weekend Camper

Test drove today with the Srv Mgr and as soon as I put it in Tow Haul the transmission started to act up. They ended up hooking the truck to their computer and deleting all the "memory" from the truck's memory chip. They seem to think that will solve the problem. We will be camping this Memorial weekend so we will test it then.

By the way, they said we definitely should be towing in Drive-Overdrive, that the only reason they said to tow in 3rd gear was if the transmission stopped shifting altogether in Drive-Overdrive.They didn't want us to be stuck on the side of the road. Hopefully, they has resolved the problem. Will let you know after this weekend.

Hope everyone will be enjoying the long weekend. Thanks for all the advice.

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Old 05-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #29
JPG
Weekend Camper

Good deal Tom! Let us know who she tows after you get back...

2003 Chevy 2500HD-Duramax/Allison

2005 Cruiser CF28RL

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...IMG_2043-1.jpg
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

Well, I never would have believed it, but they seem to have correct. After they cleared the computer memory on the Tow Haul, she is towing great. Just returned from our Memorial Day camping trip and had no problems at all and we were in heavy traffic so did a lot of breaking and accelerating so it was a good test. Truck was purring like a champ.

Thanks for all your help!

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Old 05-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #31
Full Time Camper

Looks like your perserverence paid off. Have a happy trailering season. Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:55 AM   #32
JPG
Weekend Camper

Good news Tom! Glad you got it straight.

2003 Chevy 2500HD-Duramax/Allison

2005 Cruiser CF28RL

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...IMG_2043-1.jpg
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #33
Weekend Camper

years ago (the first powerstrokes) the wires would create an intermintent open and cause the tow / haul light to flicker and the trans would shift in and out of od, repair was to replace the shift handle.

If the trans has spent alot of time "hunting" or slipping, I can tell you from my experience that it will happen again, when the clutches are burt they are ruined, have the trans serviced, see what they tell you.

1999 Ford Superduty F350 SRW short bed manual trans. Superglide auto slider (18K)

2009 Cruiser 5th 31QB
5mcgehees is offline   Reply With Quote